PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick the right laptop for Uni

lama323
4th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Hi all,

I am after a new laptop for uni and instead of me picking one I reckon will suit the application, I thought I'd ask the people in the know :p

I know there are a lot of uni members here so any help is appreciated :)

What would you recommend laptop, or net-book?
mainly used for internet, email, word processing, little bit of games, nothing hugely processor or ram intensive. I would like it to be reasonably fast.

So what are your suggestions?

cmanou
4th May 2009, 07:25 PM
What is your price range as that would help with recommendations?

dekco
4th May 2009, 07:30 PM
have you looked to late preowned? that could save you a few bucks

lama323
4th May 2009, 07:32 PM
What is your price range as that would help with recommendations?

about 2000 couple hundred over max

have you looked to late preowned? that could save you a few bucks

yeah I have but I am more concerned with brand, specs, what works in the uni situation, good idea though :)

Jopher
4th May 2009, 07:39 PM
Well my first thought would be a macbook. Maybe either the white one or the entry level unibody depending on how much you want to spend. Its always worth looking around the refurbish store if you want to save a bit of cash also.

Xavier
4th May 2009, 07:49 PM
Go the white macbook. It's plenty for what you need and it won't break the bank. You also get firewire incase you ever need it.

TheWatchman
4th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Go unibody MacBook. You want to play games remember :P (and yes this will play games, i.e. i can play Team Fortress 2 fine on mine, in windows of course).

dekco
4th May 2009, 08:37 PM
oh and i advise you max out the ram at 4gb :D

AnthoMac
4th May 2009, 09:51 PM
If you catch it on time, the MacBooks have been selling on the refurb store for $2150 and they're 2.4ghz

dathnoth
4th May 2009, 10:20 PM
Go unibody MacBook. You want to play games remember :P (and yes this will play games, i.e. i can play Team Fortress 2 fine on mine, in windows of course).

white macbook will play the same games as the unibody macbook as the white were updated with new NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics. the only difference between unibody macbook and white is form factor.

I have an early 08 macbook for tafe purposes. i'd highly recommend one. throw the netbook idea out the window

NeoRicen
4th May 2009, 10:25 PM
MacBook. A white one will do fine, but personally I'd spend extra for the durability of the Unibody.

iCantwait
8th May 2009, 09:17 PM
assuming you want a mac, go the unibody 2.0 from the edu store

iCantwait
8th May 2009, 09:20 PM
^^ student to student that is, Where you at?

Wally
8th May 2009, 09:35 PM
Don't you also get 50% tax back?

NeoRicen
8th May 2009, 10:24 PM
Don't you also get 50% tax back?
High School only.

melbmac
9th May 2009, 08:56 AM
Jump on the Edu store, there is a link on the left had side of the normals store if memory serves, or pop in to your local bricks and mortar store that can do the price and grab a unibody macbook (assuming you want mac of course).

takamine
9th May 2009, 11:40 AM
I used the white Macbook last year in uni. This year I use the Unibody 2.4GHz Macbook. No looking back to the white Macbook for me. Get the 2.4Ghz Unibody if you can. The illuminated keyboard is useful in dark lectures.

shelly79
13th May 2009, 11:43 AM
Macbook - light enough to carry around with you, still enough grunt to use for most purposes at reasonable speed.

St Cornelius
16th May 2009, 08:37 AM
The white macbook is plenty for what you want.
Unibody is a better machine But at a higher price and will last your longer.

If you weren't going to play games I would wait a while for the apple netbook / touchbook that is rumored in Q3 this year. Or just get whatever netbook you want and you wont pay anything over $900 + you can run OSX on it and with the left over money get a nice monitor.

iCarllovesapple
16th May 2009, 11:44 AM
2.4 Unibody macbook. Hot =D

rileybriggs
16th May 2009, 03:15 PM
If apple brings out a netbook I would be lining up to buy it. All I bloody want for uni is a decent keyboard, nice display and good looks (which no netbook has yet imo). All it needs is to run word, excel etc and firefox, and maybe itunes.

Sweet as!

dekco
16th May 2009, 06:45 PM
is the 13.3" MB too big? My friend is studying dentistry, and she tells me that altho the netbook is smaller, the MB is much nicer to use, even in lectures and on the run. Afterall, a netbook can only do very basic work.

NeoRicen
16th May 2009, 08:28 PM
13" is the perfect size for a Uni student, nice sized keyboard, big screen, light, won't take up too much space in your bag and is just the right size for using on your lap. They've also got better battery life than most netbooks.

dekco
17th May 2009, 01:16 PM
agreed on all points. sometimes abit more weight will give you that bit more punch in the performance section

rileybriggs
17th May 2009, 07:36 PM
I havent been able to find any info on the average real life macbook battery life. Anyone care to fill me in?

takamine
17th May 2009, 08:39 PM
I usually record lectures. I can probably get around 3.5 hours with wifi and bluetooth off and on minimum brightness.

If I'm just studying lecture notes on my Macbook, I turn off wifi, bluetooth and use it on minimum brightness. I get around 6 hours.

With wifi on, I can get around 4.5 hours.

So really depends on what you're going to be doing.

Comet
17th May 2009, 09:18 PM
When I was a uni student, the thing that was lacking for me was an internet connection. I reckon something like the dell mini 9 which has the built in 3G connection would be the perfect machine for you. You can easily get 3 hours of battery life, have an internet connection on all the time.

rileybriggs
17th May 2009, 10:12 PM
^ Benefit of a uni with free wireless net :)

Have decided to go with a lenovo sl300. Yes I know its a windows laptop, but it does what I need. Yay

Comet
17th May 2009, 10:52 PM
^ Benefit of a uni with free wireless net :)

Have decided to go with a lenovo sl300. Yes I know its a windows laptop, but it does what I need. Yay

A crippled one though. Connections have to go through proxies, and some unis do set a data limit such as 500mb a month!

Anyways, I think going with a cheap netbook is the smart choice. It's portable and provides you with everything you need.

dekco
17th May 2009, 11:04 PM
not sure about your uni, but at curtin, i noticed our wifi is pretty much free for all. once you put your username + password you are good to go.

NeoRicen
17th May 2009, 11:13 PM
not sure about your uni, but at curtin, i noticed our wifi is pretty much free for all. once you put your username + password you are good to go.
Same at UNSW, no proxies or limits, just a fair use policy.

dekco
18th May 2009, 12:51 PM
thats the way it should be. as long as you are not downloading naughty torrents and excessively, i think it should be ok.

iCarllovesapple
19th May 2009, 12:11 AM
13" is not big. The amount of power is so awesome, that you'll soon forget about the weight! hehe =D

Chief911
19th May 2009, 10:20 AM
unibody macbook....