PDA

View Full Version : OS installation help required

benny gsr
14th June 2004, 01:12 PM
I have an imac 350, with OS 9.2.2 loaded. I tried to install OS 10.0.3, which seemed to work. I then went to install my 10.1 update, and once completed, the computer would not restart (get past the initiall little mac smiling in the middle of the screen).

I attempted to install 10.0.3 again, (over the top of 10.1??), and now on restart, I get a the mac smiley face, with a whole lot of text over the screen, where the final wording is something like:

"Panic: We are hanging here."

My questions are: A. how do I get back to my 9.2.2 screen. I can't change the start up disk from the cd and am stranded.
b. Is there a way for me to delete everything I have installed (which I am happy to do), and start from scratch, even though I can't get the Harddisk to load an operating system?

HELp please !!

Thank you!!

decryption
14th June 2004, 02:52 PM
Just boot up off the OS X CD, by holding down "C" when it's booting.
When you install OS X, it will ask you if you want to erase the drive. Erase the drive and you're set :)

benny gsr
14th June 2004, 02:57 PM
ill give it a go. Thanks

Radar
14th June 2004, 02:57 PM
Careful here, this could be a firmware problem. I had a similar problem occur when I first installed 10.1 on my iMac 350. Are you getting color problems and general garble? If so, the firmware must be updated before you install 10.x, otherwise the machine quite litterally has a fit. When I first got mine, the colors when starting up (The grey loading screen), were like the screen had major elctromagnetic interference, all yellow and orange and violet and crap.

Just make sure you have the latest firmware on her, otherwise there could be big problems.

benny gsr
14th June 2004, 03:54 PM
I've just deleted hard drive, and have successfully installed 10.0.3

Didn't have any of the colour probs you were talking about (yet)

Right now trying 10.1.

Let see how it goes.

Thanks again. The quick replies are sensational.

If not, ill stick to 9.2.2.

T

Currawong
14th June 2004, 05:09 PM
I'd strongly advise, if you want to use Mac OS X at all, that 10.0.X will be useless, 10.1.5 will be usable, but only just bearably pleasant to use, and buying 10.3, which runs CONSIDERABLY faster and better, would be the best optiion.

macpimp
14th June 2004, 05:31 PM
if you're using a slot loading imac, you *must* install firmware update 4.19 before you install os x 10.2 or later.