PDA

View Full Version : My iChat Opens But Doesn't Show A Window

gehenna
1st May 2009, 09:23 AM
Hi there

I set up iChat to work with my mobileme account last week, but I just went to open it today and have found that although it shows as open in the dock, and the menubar is populated with iChatty stuff, the application itself does not appear.

When I go to the iChat menubar item to check the preferences, preferences is greyed out. The only black options are My Status - which is available, and Accounts which does not expand when I mouse over it.

If I click on the iChat applet on my menubar it is letting me change my status etc, but if I click on Buddy List it just beeps at me and does nothing.

I've tried deleting all the com.apple.ichat plist settings from my user\library and restarting but it's the same. Also tried verifying and repairing permissions - same.

It's probably something stupidly simple but can anyone help?

G.

ClockWork
1st May 2009, 09:52 AM
First thing I'd try - as I've found out I'm probably the only person in MTAU who does this, is to Shut Down the computer, and then Power it up.

Often a simple Restart will fix a naggling lil problem.

If this does not work - try the second possibility - notes you've deleted the com.apple.ichat plist from User Preferences:

Quit iChat.
Trash the new com.apple.ichat plist - plus the com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist, from your User Preferences.

If this does not work, trash the com.apple.iChatAgent - from your User Prefs also.

If none of the above suggestions work, Quit iChat again, open Activity Monitor - from Applications / Utilities and Quit Process on iChatAgent from its list, and then go back into your User Prefs and trash: com.apple.ichat plist, com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and com.apple.iChatAgent.plist.

Empty Trash, and try reactivating iChat.

gehenna
1st May 2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks ClockWork, stopping the iChatAgent from Activity Monitor and repeating what I'd already tried worked this time!

Cheers