PDA

View Full Version : iPhone not charging.

Wally
1st May 2009, 08:33 AM
Hi All,

About 3 days ago my iPhone woke me up at 5:30am in the morning saying that the 3G Dock is not compatible with the device, glarey eyed I decided it was nothing to worry about and went back to sleep.

Woke up later and discovered the phone won't charge, and the dock had char marks on it.. Thought it was really odd so I called Apple, they told me to do the usual tests and the guy said he'll send me a new USB Cable / Dock.. I knew instantly it wasn't going to be the case so I borrowed a mates cable and it did the same thing, i'll only try with the new USB Cable that comes in the mail today but I doubt it'll work.

My problem is, I went to Chaddy two weeks ago to get my silent switch repaired. It takes me two hours to get to Chaddy and possibly around $30 to get down there via train. (Lets only hope my brother's GF wants to come and then she'll drive)

So anyone else had the same sorta issue?

Wally
3rd May 2009, 06:59 PM
Well it turns out that Apple thinks its water issue, I have not even contacted the phone with water..

It's going to be messy.

LithgowLights
4th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Did you wet the bed? Seriously though apple seems to blame water for a lot. Ishecked out my 2 sensors and they were white so while in Sydney the following day I dropped in to the apple store to get them to look at my very loose silent button and they said no because the phone had been in contact with water.

The sensors were and still ARE white and the phone has no problems. Sigh

adamerr
4th May 2009, 02:17 PM
Did you wet the bed? Seriously though apple seems to blame water for a lot. Ishecked out my 2 sensors and they were white so while in Sydney the following day I dropped in to the apple store to get them to look at my very loose silent button and they said no because the phone had been in contact with water.

The sensors were and still ARE white and the phone has no problems. Sigh

I keep forgetting where the sensors are.
Headphone jack and USB port right?

:blushed:

mitty
4th May 2009, 02:23 PM
See I think the "contact with water" thing is a total copout. I regularly get incredibly sweaty at the gym (eg saturated tank top, gym shorts etc). I don't use my iphone in the gym but I do usually put it in my pocket on the way home. I've taken it out of my pocket and the screen is damp with steam (you should see the nano that I actually DO use in the gym). So it wouldn't surprise me at all if my "water indicator" says my iphone has been in contact with water, when i've never dropped it in water or anything. But it's pretty easy to get it in a steamy type environment which might set the water indicator thingy off but not actually do any damage to the phone itself. Which is why Apple suck (well, sometimes) ;)

LithgowLights
4th May 2009, 03:11 PM
I keep forgetting where the sensors are.
Headphone jack and USB port right?

:blushed:

Yeah base of the headphone jack and on the dock connector ( which I can't pick by eye )

I'd post a link but there is no cut & paste on the phone yet LOL

Wally
4th May 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't wet the bed but I do go to gym however my phone remains in my bag.

The only thing I can think of is condensation.

DeanCorp
4th May 2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah base of the headphone jack and on the dock connector ( which I can't pick by eye )

I'd post a link but there is no cut & paste on the phone yet LOL

If you are running 3.0 there is ;)

iPhone and iPod: Water damage is not covered by warranty (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302)

It is known as Liquid Submersion Indicators (LSI's)

Wally
4th May 2009, 09:42 PM
but I haven't submerged it in liquid thats the only problem

Exocet
5th May 2009, 10:37 AM
The term is actually "moisture ingress", and it can be caused by exactly the reasons you have stated...leaving it on the bench while you shower, sweaty at the gym, etc etc. If these indicators show moisture has entered the phone, it may cause further corrosion down the line.

Wally
5th May 2009, 10:46 PM
I took the plunge and opened the iphone.

Turns out the dock connector is corroded on two points and needs replacing.

leon
6th May 2009, 06:26 AM
I took the plunge and opened the iphone.

Turns out the dock connector is corroded on two points and needs replacing.

If all that seems like too much trouble, there is this article on MDN.
MacDailyNews - Water-damaged iPhones now swappable (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/21026/)
Prices are in USD, but AUS is around $350-$400 from memory. Even with this news, it is probably not the outcome/final solution that your really want.

morn
6th May 2009, 09:53 AM
It'd be cheaper for him to buy a new dock connector part...

Wally
6th May 2009, 01:55 PM
Already purchased the dock part, and plan on polishing the screen / back so it looks like new again.

Nothing saying that I could swap it over after I exchange the dock part (Due to the water sensor being on the dock part i'd assume.