PDA

View Full Version : Why I use a Mac.

decryption
14th June 2004, 10:41 AM
There's an article in today's Age, about laptops in schools, and one particular quote made me grin. It's from Angus King, the governor of Maine, where all the year 7 and 8 students get an iBook from the government.

"Apple won the bid, but it was not decided on price," he says. "Every bidder met our basic price. Apple provided a lot of software, which others did not, but the real difference was that Apple talked to us about creativity and personal development. The others talked about supervision and control, right down to logging individual attendance - even keystrokes. That was not what we were about."

I wonder who he is referring to by, others? ;)

Phillip
14th June 2004, 11:32 AM
:) just hope the kids don't hate macs.

we have macs at school (mostly the colour imacs) and people hate them. they hate the idea of learning how to use it and getting use to it.

estoyloco
14th June 2004, 11:39 AM
apparently all over the states at schools and uni's Apple has won similar contracts and the kids love them... but for more recent iBooks.. some uni's in japan have mad all there comps Macs too.... there is a Mac epidemic

I've noticed that all the girls/guys at uni now carry around a 12" iBooks or Powerbook as a fashion accessory its kinda bad... i liked it back in the days when Mac's were "underground" and every tom,dick and harry didnt have one.

Phillip
14th June 2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Jun 14 2004, 11:39 AM
apparently all over the states at schools and uni's Apple has won similar contracts and the kids love them... but for more recent iBooks.. some uni's in japan have mad all there comps Macs too.... there is a Mac epidemic

I've noticed that all the girls/guys at uni now carry around a 12" iBooks or Powerbook as a fashion accessory its kinda bad... i liked it back in the days when Mac's were "underground" and every tom,dick and harry didnt have one.
no need to worry; macs are still pretty rare in australia. but people are starting to know apple once again, for the ipod.

Byrd
14th June 2004, 12:05 PM
Good to see Apple taking away some of the market from Wintel machines.

However ... Apple had the highest education market share in Australia back in the 80's to mid-1990's - doesn't anyone remember this? They lost a lot of ground when Win95 was released, and now I think it's Acer or Compaq that have a vast majority of educational market share nowadays.

Ah ... good old days of Apple IIs and Mac Classics back then.

JB

estoyloco
14th June 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Phillip+Jun 14 2004, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Phillip @ Jun 14 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-estoyloco@Jun 14 2004, 11:39 AM
apparently all over the states at schools and uni&#39;s Apple has won similar contracts and the kids love them... but for more recent iBooks.. some uni&#39;s in japan have mad all there comps Macs too.... there is a Mac epidemic

I&#39;ve noticed that all the girls/guys at uni now carry around a 12" iBooks or Powerbook as a fashion accessory its kinda bad... i liked it back in the days when Mac&#39;s were "underground" and every tom,dick and harry didnt have one.
no need to worry; macs are still pretty rare in australia. but people are starting to know apple once again, for the ipod. [/b][/quote]
true.. apparenlt they only make up 0.9% of all computers in the world. Dell has 24% and HP 17% or something like that.. so i guess the rest are just cheap no name local computershop variety that break every 1.5 years like my sisters computers.

decryption
14th June 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jun 14 2004, 12:05 PM
However ... Apple had the highest education market share in Australia back in the 80&#39;s to mid-1990&#39;s - doesn&#39;t anyone remember this? They lost a lot of ground when Win95 was released, and now I think it&#39;s Acer or Compaq that have a vast majority of educational market share nowadays.
Yeah, the state government has a contract with Acer to supply computers in Victorian schools at a very cheap price. The government saw a lower bottom line, and took it, rather than going with the superior option.
Same goes for Microsoft. The state government pays Microsoft a lump sum, which gives them unlimited licences for all government schools. Works well for Microsoft, as all the kiddies are taught how to use Microsoft products, then, when they go out into the workplace, use Microsoft products because that&#39;s all they were taught at school.

Same goes for universities (but replace Acer with Hewlett Packard)...

Phillip
14th June 2004, 01:08 PM
yeah i remember when i was in prep in 95, we had 10 macs in our classroom. we had fun the that program called kidspix or something and then printing it out was pretty amazing or something...ah the good old days running system 7..

our school had acer supplied computers for a while for like 2 whole labs. after like 6 months all the monitors gone blurry and they had to replace them all. :P we currently have hp(compaq) now. only our art department has macs, and the reason for that is simple; ilife is why the school buys macs. :)

its sad to think everyone thinks windows rules the world (well it does) and all the teachers know how to teach is Microsoft products. word, windows, excel. its good that apple has the ipod and its dominating so much because as i said, it makes people know apple again.

pipsqeek
14th June 2004, 01:23 PM
a few months back I read that the RTA was migrating to Mac&#39;s....then someone here on the forums confirmed it. I have yet to go to the RTA to see the iMac&#39;s lining the desks.

On to a slightly off topic...but relevant topic....in Germany, the Government migrated all their govt. computers to Linux SuSE boxes. all 12,000 of them....maybe not a low blow to M&#036; but still, if everyone did that, imagine the look on Ol&#39; Billy&#39;s face. :lol:

Steve

Currawong
14th June 2004, 05:14 PM
This reminds me of what someone told me about the Apple bid for the NSW RTA. The reason Apple got the contract was, the bidders from HP, Dell etc would go on about how crap the other companies were, but Apple refused to when asked what they thought of the others, but were only interested in working with the RTA to achieve exactly what they wanted, and support them as needed.

Phillip
14th June 2004, 05:34 PM
http://www.apple.com.au/pr/casestudies/

i expect the rta imacs to be on there very soon...

p996911turbo
14th June 2004, 05:40 PM
we have macs at school (mostly the colour imacs) and people hate them. they hate the idea of learning how to use it and getting use to it.
I couldn&#39;t agree more.

At my high school we have stacks of 3-year old PCs running some hideous Windows version and all the kids complain about them. But when you mention anything about Macs, you get the "Macs are c**p, you use a Mac so you muct be a d**khead" response. I&#39;ve had this many times, especially the "there&#39;s no software for macs" and "macs can&#39;t keep up with PCs, look they&#39;re only at 2.5GHz" arguements. This drives me up the wall&#33; These kids refuse to learn anything about another computer system because it&#39;s not the same as their one at home. It&#39;s the same with Linux too, people think you&#39;re some insane geek for using anything that isn&#39;t Windows. Just because I know how to format a disk using tcsh on Darwin but not how to do it in Windows doesn&#39;t make me weird&#33;

But the thing that really gets to me is when I asked the head of our computing about the chances of getting Macs for the network, I was told that "Macs don&#39;t offer good education plans" or words to that effect. If he&#39;d known his arse from his elbow and just told me that the Department had more to do with the choice than him, I&#39;d be fine about it. But instead he decided to say completely untrue things about Mac. ARGH&#33; Why can&#39;t people accept that some of us use different computers and like them?&#33;

Anyway, that&#39;s my rant out of the way... Sorry about the long, boring read&#33;

Quamen
14th June 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Jun 14 2004, 11:32 AM
:) just hope the kids don&#39;t hate macs.

I remember back in year 7/8 when we had theose horid colourfull imacs with the pucks for mice. And then some people got those horid colourfull ibooks as part of a test to see if it would help learning or something.

Those computer sucked. They did. They were the biggest pile of shit I had ever used. I&#39;m not going to lie, I hated using them, and hated the fact that there was no choice in whether we used them or not. That was probably half the reason why I never took any of the IT related courses, and decided to bludge in drama class and music instead.

Of course if you fast forward to today. I just bought a powerbook. Now this machine is noce. OSX is a huge leap forward from the crap that was running on the ones we used to have a school.

I could understand moving to macs now days. But rewind back a few years and there would be no way in hell.

Apple have definately done some nice enhancment work on their new OS and it shows.

Phillip
14th June 2004, 10:29 PM
i reckon the hardware was quiet nice then.. except for the mouse (what was mr. ive thinking?) the os was the shitty bit. mac os x changed everything and made me ge a mac :)

LCGuy
15th June 2004, 08:13 AM
I agree, Phillip. I have a April 1999 Revision D tray load iMac (333 Mhz), and love every minute of using it&#33; Of course, it&#39;s been upgraded with 160 megs of RAM, and a 40 gig HD, and now runs Jag, but even the older versions of Mac OS really aren&#39;t bad, and they still beat the crap out of the equivilent versions of Windohze&#33; Matter of fact, given the chance i&#39;d rather be using OS 9 than Windohze XP&#33;

Phillip
15th June 2004, 09:56 AM
windows xp isn&#39;t THAT bad is it lol?

Currawong
15th June 2004, 10:00 AM
Yes, Windows XP is THAT bad. It&#39;s the only OS ever that REQUIRES a hard-disk-hogging System Restore function, lest something you install screws things up.

decryption
15th June 2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jun 15 2004, 10:00 AM
Yes, Windows XP is THAT bad. It&#39;s the only OS ever that REQUIRES a hard-disk-hogging
You can turn it off pretty easily :P

Phillip
15th June 2004, 10:24 AM
its actually quiet useful, i use it when windows suddenly stuffs up.. :P and we all know it always does :lol:

LCGuy
15th June 2004, 11:27 AM
Yep. Its sure saved my ass a few times, too. Of course though, if i was sitting in front of a Mac, i wouldn&#39;t have had those problems to begin with&#33;

OziMac
15th June 2004, 03:15 PM
Interesting note - the Victorian Government contract for computers for schools is with both Acer and Apple.

And the University of Melbourne at least must have an extensive contract with Apple - other than a couple of departments (Law, Commerce, CS and IS) all faculty machines and student labs are Macs. The admin sections are all Macs too.

decryption
15th June 2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jun 15 2004, 03:15 PM
And the University of Melbourne at least must have an extensive contract with Apple - other than a couple of departments (Law, Commerce, CS and IS) all faculty machines and student labs are Macs. The admin sections are all Macs too.
The Computer Science and Info Systems labs have Macs?
Which buildings/rooms? :P

OziMac
15th June 2004, 04:37 PM
The Computer Science and Info Systems labs have Macs?

Dude, context - read what I wrote, unless you&#39;re stirring :)

That would be funny though...

Glyx
13th August 2004, 11:14 PM
On the Windows topic, i prefer 98 SE to XP.

At my old school we had the colour laptops- they were awful. I&#39;m getting my own iBook ( a decent one- shock horror) coz i hate using public and school computers. They are slow and are often using a pre Windows 3.1 OS.

Just my rantings...

tempestas
13th August 2004, 11:59 PM
The main reason for using a Mac for me has always been the straightforward "it makes sense" interface. Windoze XP was a vast improvement but it still likes to make the user do things the hard way.

Having worked Helpdesk supporting both Mac&#39;s and PC&#39;s the difference is huge. With a Mac (even with OS 7 ;) ) support was about showing people how to do what they want to do. With PC&#39;s I was the tech guru (Not - at least at level 1 support I wasn&#39;t) and just made it work again. The people I taught Mac stuff too always seemed to have less problems and found their computers to be tools to do other things. The PC&#39;s were like magic boxes that needed arcane knowledge just to send an email or print a doc.

I have never seriously cut code and I hate writing Macros in crappy languages (VB anyone) yet being able to be a power user on a Mac requires little more than learning a few things and teaching yourself how to use the control panels um system preferences.

They just work, out of the box, like you expect without needing to know the hard-way.

People who can&#39;t handle anyone being a bit different are probably scared about so many things I wonder how they actually manage to get through life.

Ozi
14th August 2004, 01:09 AM
Yeah I find that it is best not to argue with the idiots who say "nothing runs on macs" or "they are only 1.5Ghz, I have a 2.2 Celeron" (ROFL)

I win the arguments, but it is quicker just to show them how awesome OS X is. At every possible opportunity, I set up my mac and play with its cool features. In a Biology Tute, I was using Exposť with Word to switch between documents, and also switch into some other Apps, and 2 people behind me both started asking me how I did that, if it came with XP etc. And I replied that no, it was an Apple computer running OS X and that it kicked any XP shitbox beige box PC piese of poo to hell and back. And they were very impressed&#33; I also sit on the train, listening to iTunes on it (i am yet to get an iPod... <_<) so on the train i sit it on the seat next to me and turn on visualiser, and get everyone in sight watching it with awe. :lol:

Or in lectures, I sit up the front, turn on visualiser and 200 people behind me all start watching.

Sure, its showing off and makes me look like a wanker, but it also brings peoples attention to the cool stuff Macs can do. In the 2 weeks I have been at uni, I have had more than 10 conversations with TOTAL strangers who saw my computer and came up and started chatting about Macs.

So I say this: the best way to help the Apple cause is to use one publically, and to be prepared to inform anyone how good the Apple really is. :)

OziMac
14th August 2004, 11:09 AM
Very nice Dell/Mac comparison article here...

http://gflpraxis.no-ip.com/mvp-price.html

Goes some way towards answering why one would use a Mac instead of a Dell on a price/performance basis...

elvis
14th August 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Glyx@Aug 13 2004, 11:14 PM
On the Windows topic, i prefer 98 SE to XP.
Windows 98 is not an OS. It&#39;s a glorified shell.

As much as I despise Microsoft, Windows 2000/XP is a half-decent OS in terms of its kernel&#39;s interaction with hardware.

Security wise, it still stinks. :)

On the subject of schools, I&#39;ve been dealing with some lately trying to push diskless linux machines to them. It&#39;s quite obvious they are more excited by the free software than any sort of student tracking. It&#39;s no wonder Apple won the contract with their marketing.

kim jong il
14th August 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 14 2004, 01:09 AM
Ozi, I&#39;m concerned.
.......... In the 2 weeks I have been at uni, I have had more than 10 conversations with TOTAL strangers who saw my computer and came up and started chatting about Macs............

You&#39;ve only been there two weeks? I&#39;m going to tell on you&#33;

(I&#39;m guessing you actually mean "back at uni for......")

cheers, kim

Ozi
14th August 2004, 08:42 PM
:lol: yeah, I took a year off, as you know. :) so i have been back for 2 weeks, and I have even been to more than 20% of my lectures&#33; :D Oh and I like the dell/mac comparison article. :rolleyes: I sent it to some "unbelievers" of mine. :P and just because I like smilies, :o

moo
14th August 2004, 08:50 PM
http://corourke.customer.netspace.net.au/Mac/