PDA

View Full Version : Can't get rid of my inbox mail!

graemie
30th April 2009, 05:04 PM
Don't laugh, but I have 10,000 emails in my inbox in mail.app

I decided that I'd sort it out today by moving them all into a new mailbox called 'Old inbox' and start afresh.

So I selected-all, moved to the new mailbox, and sure enough they went there... But they also stayed in the inbox!

Okay, now I have 20,000 emails.

So I thought maybe I just need to delete them from the inbox, now that they are in the Old Inbox folder. So I selected-all, and hit delete. Sure enough they all went to the trash...

But they also stayed in the inbox, again! Now I have 30,000 emails.

Right! So I quit mail.app and head for my user directory. I go to the library folder, find my POP mail folders, open INBOX.mbox, then Messages, then I select-all, move to trash, and away they go!...

I open mail.app up and they are STILL in my inbox!

I restart the machine, thinking it's cached up or something... Nope.

Anyone had this issue before?

banjo
30th April 2009, 05:55 PM
Under Mail > Preferences > Acounts, select your account and go to the "Advanced" tab and ensure "Remove copy from server after retrieving message" is checked, and "right away" is selected from the drop down immediately below. If your mail is already retrieved you can click the "remove now" button to clear your server.

Then feel free to move you mail without it reappearing!

graemie
2nd May 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks banjo, but I don't think that's it.

It's not that I want the emails removed from the server - they already are removed from the server as I have it set on 'Right away' already. It's that they won't seem to leave my inbox.

I actually found after moving them round (well duplicating them rather), that the actual content of some of them was disappearing today, despite them all sitting there staring at me in my inbox.

I've given up for now. I guess I'd rather have what's left of them sitting there, than lose all the content.

Meh.

(thanks for the suggestion though).

kenexx
2nd May 2009, 05:39 AM
Maybe it's because I've been up all night at work but I could not stop laughing when I read this!!!!!

banjo
2nd May 2009, 10:04 AM
[edit] Nevermind, misread the amended issue.

Phunky
2nd May 2009, 01:59 PM
Delete the account, then re-add the account

macmick
3rd May 2009, 12:44 AM
Have you tried rebuilding your mailbox?