PDA

View Full Version : Xcode + Python + Code Sense ?

cyphereal
7th June 2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing dev work using Xcode and some of my code is in python. I'm finding the code sense/code completion to be substandard. It appears that the code sense parser can handle python source (it lists function definitions and classes) and does code completion of a sort. i.e. it will attempt to match typed words to any words in the current file.

It will not attempt the same for other python files imported using "import". It will also not attempt to complete methods of a class after the class accessor e.g. "myclass.<please show methods>".

Admittedly it&#39;s a can of worms with python since its interpreted and you can add methods and attributes to classes on the fly. But I would have expected to be able to identify at least the def&#39;s in a class that are shown explicitly and look up words in imported files.

Anybody done this ? Anybody know of Xcode plugins / scripts to help with this ?

thanks&#33;
cyph

marxy
30th June 2005, 12:28 PM
I went down the same track but in the end I can recommend the python plugin for eclipse called PyDev http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

Not only do you get real code completion but you get syntax colouring, a folding editor, and full single step debugging.

Peter

cyphereal
30th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Funny that, I tested the python eclipse plugin about 6 months ago and was disappointed. I&#39;ve now gone back and noticed a slight misconfig and now it works as I had hoped.
Thanks for making me look again :)