PDA

View Full Version : Hint About G5 Pb From Jobs' Keynote?

kurisu
7th June 2005, 07:14 PM
steve said one of the reasons apple decided to switch to intel was lower power consumption and so there's still no G5 PB....maybe G5 PB will be available after OS is intel-based...do you think?

Quamen
7th June 2005, 07:33 PM
Why would they release a G5 powerbook after switching to intel? G5 is the chip made by IBM that they are phasing out in favour of lower power consuming and faster intel chips.

gelfie
7th June 2005, 08:21 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the PowerBook is the very first mac to get an intel processor, as early as possible in 2006

Paxton
7th June 2005, 08:24 PM
The Next Generation PowerBook (presuming they keep that naming strategy) will be the equivalent of a G5. It will not have a G5 chip inside of it, but it will WAY faster than the 1.33 I am using here. The PowerBooks will be one of the first to have the Intel CPU in them, but weather they have a Pentium M or something completely different will be another matter.

-Andrew

Phillip
7th June 2005, 08:42 PM
The word G5 is just simply put it, a marketing phrase used by Apple. IBM does not refer to the PPC 970 as 'the G5' in their documentation. Just because it's a PowerBook 'G5' doesn't mean it has to have use a PowerPC processor. So they could name it as a G6 for the PowerMac and PowerBook because its the sixth generation. But I highly doubt it would be a 'G6'. This is a marketing issue for Apple.

mvjs
7th June 2005, 09:07 PM
G5 = Generation 5
Same with iPod :)

OziMac
7th June 2005, 09:07 PM
Also a trade mark issue, given that Pontiac already has a line of cars called 'G6'.

Probably time to expect some new nomenclature from Apple - hard to say what though (hope it's catchier than an Apple-M 725 or something boring like that). :)

Phillip
7th June 2005, 09:14 PM
Come to think of it, people can actually expect better battery life + better performance at the same time for Apple notebooks now. I have always been a fan of the Pentium M hoping Apple would make something like that themselves. Well they kinda did :P But before, we are all dreaming of a G5 PowerBook using a processor that really doesn't exist yet.

orig3n
7th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by gelfie@Jun 7 2005, 08:21 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the PowerBook is the very first mac to get an intel processor, as early as possible in 2006
I bet it will be centrino powered aswell <_<

Rayd
7th June 2005, 09:49 PM
as long as it isnt THAT much faster than my 1.67 15" im happy

Phillip
7th June 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by orig3n@Jun 7 2005, 09:26 PM
Well I think it&#39;s great we are gonna get something that&#39;s gonna kick the G4&#39;s butt in terms of performance, and yet we have a nice design notebook from Apple, and run Mac OS X at the same time. I think after one day of thinking about it*** - I would agree switching to Intel is indeed, a great idea - for the long run, and as the CEO of Adobe said in the keynote &#39;Why didn&#39;t they do it earlier&#39;.

And plus, we can actually get our hot little hands on one of those G5 PowerBooks without having them being delayed due to problems with the supply of processors.

*** I am of course still under the RDF&#39;s influence.

Quamen
7th June 2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by orig3n@Jun 7 2005, 09:26 PM
That would be a good thing though. Anything has got to be better than the current broadcom chipset running the wifi in apples products. I want passive drivers dammit&#33;

Quasar
7th June 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Jun 7 2005, 08:24 PM
The Next Generation PowerBook (presuming they keep that naming strategy) will be the equivalent of a G5. It will not have a G5 chip inside of it, but it will WAY faster than the 1.33 I am using here. The PowerBooks will be one of the first to have the Intel CPU in them, but weather they have a Pentium M or something completely different will be another matter.

I&#39;m guessing it&#39;ll be the dual-core Yonah.

the_OM
7th June 2005, 11:16 PM
mmmmmm dual-core Pentium M&#39;s...... if that possibility doesn&#39;t excite you then must be impotent.

ajs
8th June 2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Jun 7 2005, 09:50 PM
... and as the CEO of Adobe said in the keynote &#39;Why didn&#39;t they do it earlier&#39;.

You know the actual line was "What took you so long" and it was a friendly jibe from the CEO of Adobe (Bruce Chizen) in a karmic way back to Jobs, who said the exact same thing when he was able to announce that Photoshop had finally been ported to OS X&#33; ;)

fuchingsiang
8th June 2005, 10:27 AM
Well let&#39;s just hope that Apple doesn&#39;t get queued behind other Intel based PCs like Dell & HP, or else we&#39;re gonna end up the same fate that we had back in IBM time...

ford.boy
8th June 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by fuchingsiang@Jun 8 2005, 10:27 AM
Well let&#39;s just hope that Apple doesn&#39;t get queued behind other Intel based PCs like Dell & HP, or else we&#39;re gonna end up the same fate that we had back in IBM time...
I don&#39;t think that will happen.

Apple and intel, as steve says are too similar. Previous restrictions on intel (as i have read) such as dell and HP are far too conservative. Now intel have a &#39;creative outlet&#39;. A semiconductular creative outlet. Well, as creative as a chip company can be. :huh:

I expect the new chips to devoured by Apple, and new technology to be embraced and pushed. I would also be surprised if Apple wasn&#39;t already involved in swinging the intel ship closer to home, in introducing more familiar intruction sets and the like.

Either way, I believe intel will be a little more "personal" with apple than IBM was.