PDA

View Full Version : Oh s**t on a s**t cracker! I dropped my phone :(

mechcon
28th April 2009, 09:49 AM
I dropped it :( And now the silent switch is loose as a tie at a stressful meeting!

I'm curious to see for people here who have had to go through insurance (I'm with Optus), how long were you folks without a phone? I need to see if it's worth me going through it or not, as I can't be without a phone (Granted that I'm well aware that I'd be able to get a loan one), but I'm more curious as to how long it will take to get the phone replaced/repaired on average? :(

And no I can't go with Apple to get it repaired/replaced as I dropped it.

Cassy
28th April 2009, 11:28 AM
I dropped mine about 30cm Sunday night and cracked the screen :(

I called up the insurance line yesterday and dropped it off at the optus store. I was quoted 10 business days for them to access the damage and then tell me whether it will be a repair or replacement and a timeframe to acutally pick up the phone.

From what I've read usually it takes 3+ weeks... I miss my iphone :'(

Xenex
28th April 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks to Optus insurance, I was without my iPhone for two months.

I wish you better luck than I had!

mechcon
28th April 2009, 11:46 AM
holy crap! that's awful!

Cassy
28th April 2009, 11:51 AM
If it takes 2 months they better replace it with the new model! :P

mitty
28th April 2009, 12:07 PM
I saw a guy on the train this morning and his screen had cracks all over it. I felt his pain.

mechcon
28th April 2009, 12:21 PM
Why does it have to take so long? and how much is it to get the repair done, or getting it replaced?

Cassy
28th April 2009, 02:29 PM
The excess fees are:

$50 repair
$100 replacement

But Optus recently introduced new 'Smart Insurance' for all smart phones including the iPhone which increases excess fees to $100 amd $250. If they try and stick me with those fees there will be hell.

richbowen
29th April 2009, 12:02 AM
Do you have home contents insurance? You might find a claim under that policy to be a lot quicker. My insurance company OK'd the claim within days which meant I could buy a replacement phone immediately. The cheque came through about a week later.

cosmichobo
29th April 2009, 12:37 AM
Girl at work dropped hers onto rocks and shattered it... was fixed in 4 days via insurance, but not sure who it was with. Sounds like not Optus...

What about household contents? Lot of policies these days have 'outside home' cover... usually up to around $1000.

dolbinau
29th April 2009, 07:57 AM
The excess fees are:

$50 repair
$100 replacement

But Optus recently introduced new 'Smart Insurance' for all smart phones including the iPhone which increases excess fees to $100 amd $250. If they try and stick me with those fees there will be hell.

Wtfff..This is outrageous. I just checked my 'products' and I'm still on the old insurance plan (Safeguard business or whatever), so hopefully the old excesses still apply :P.

mechcon
29th April 2009, 09:56 AM
I went and got mine repaired at a store, sorted!

Xenex
29th April 2009, 09:59 AM
I went and got mine repaired at a store, sorted!

Apple Store? Optus Store? 'Repaired' as in 'swapped out with another iPhone' or as in 'fixed your current iPhone'?

Cassy
29th April 2009, 12:34 PM
As far as I know... Apple stores and Optus stores don't repair in store...

Oh well I used my broken iphone to justify a Vaja case. Hopefully they arrive at the same time :D

Cassy
30th April 2009, 01:47 PM
Just an update-

I called Optus Insurance today (3 working days since I dropped it off) and they said they will be repairing my phone as soon as I pay the excess which I just did over the phone.

ETA now is 8 working days max before it should be ready to be picked up.

Thats not as bad as I thought! Given they stick to that date of course...

:)

digoxin
30th April 2009, 02:11 PM
Just an update-

I called Optus Insurance today (3 working days since I dropped it off) and they said they will be repairing my phone as soon as I pay the excess which I just did over the phone.

ETA now is 8 working days max before it should be ready to be picked up.

Thats not as bad as I thought! Given they stick to that date of course...

:)

Good luck to Optus trying to repair that phone.

Vaja cases are great although quite exxy. I have one and it protects the phone pretty as well as looking good. The leather ages well too.

Cassy
30th April 2009, 02:40 PM
Good luck to Optus trying to repair that phone.

oh no. That doesn't bode well...

Nothing wrong with the touchscreen so I am guessing they will just replace the glass bit? Or give me a refurb. Don't care which... just want my phone back!

digoxin
30th April 2009, 03:24 PM
oh no. That doesn't bode well...

Nothing wrong with the touchscreen so I am guessing they will just replace the glass bit? Or give me a refurb. Don't care which... just want my phone back!

Apologies I thought this was in the thread about the iphone being run over by a car.

Cassy
30th April 2009, 04:01 PM
hahah

well at least optus would replace instead of repairing :P i hear thats much faster...

shiny
2nd May 2009, 01:18 PM
:eek: Some of those turn around times are nuts. I dont have Optus insurance but I dropped my iPhone and it refused to come back on.

Straight to Optus store, into a box and got another one 5 days later.

It now has a purple dot on the camera, so called Apple (as I did not want to go without my phone) who are sending me a advanced replacement, they put a hold on your credit card and once they get the faulty one back take the hold off.

Just wish they offered Apple Care in Aus!

Cassy
8th May 2009, 05:40 PM
Just a quick update :)

I got my iphone back today :D :D :D

of course they didn't call me like they said they would, i popped in after work just in case and it was there!

They said it would be repaired but its actually a replacement
just restoring it now. so happy!

my vaja case on the other hand is still a few weeks away so my iphone may have to live in a protective bubble until then

timmytomtam
8th May 2009, 05:51 PM
Just a quick update :)

I got my iphone back today :D :D :D

Is it actually yours, or a refurb?

I cracked my screen a few months ago, and paid the $50 for repair, but then they just gave me a new one :)

DeanCorp
8th May 2009, 06:18 PM
I think the Genius Bar replace the phone for $350, whether it be a cracked screen, cosmetic damage, anything not covered by warranty.

Cassy
8th May 2009, 06:39 PM
Is it actually yours, or a refurb?

I cracked my screen a few months ago, and paid the $50 for repair, but then they just gave me a new one :)

haha read down a few lines ;)

Its a refurb- all shiny and stuff! Im scared to use it without a screen protector though!

cosmichobo
9th May 2009, 08:37 PM
No idea whatever it was I said I was going to do, but - the girl at work smashed her iPhone again yesterday. (lol) (oops, slipped out). She was none too happy...

dekco
9th May 2009, 11:11 PM
I think the Genius Bar replace the phone for $350, whether it be a cracked screen, cosmetic damage, anything not covered by warranty.
can anyone verify that? because, i read somewhere in the forums that water damaged iphones can be replaced for $250.

DeanCorp
9th May 2009, 11:17 PM
can anyone verify that? because, i read somewhere in the forums that water damaged iphones can be replaced for $250.

I was wondering the same thing. Up until this new water damage policy came out, they would basically take your phone with cracked screen and swap it over for a refurbished one when you have paid $350. I am not too sure how it will work now.

If you were to: dunk it in water. It is now water damaged and has a cracked screen. Would they charge you the $250? Or would it be the $350?

dekco
10th May 2009, 12:09 AM
no need to dunk it in water, get a eye drop and soak the water sensors, would easily prove that water indeed has penetrated into the phone. afterall, the genius at apple goes on those water sensors.