PDA

View Full Version : I can't choose! Adium vs MSN Messenger!

mattcooper
26th April 2009, 08:52 PM
Hey Guys
I know this is a silly thing, I'm sure allot of Mac users here who need a "MSN client" use Adium over the official application.

Heres the problem, I'm very compulsive because of OCD.

When I look at MSN Messenger I think great! this will work do what I want it to do and looks like messenger suppose to.. but then I think oh wait... Im trying to get away from Microsoft Software.. Has Microsoft secretly written this app not to be 100% perfect... this could slow my system down.. EEEEK!

Then I look at Adium and think wow this sounds great but then start thinking this isn't official.. I donít like the icon... And reading through its history there is allot of fixes and am concerned that it isn't perfect yet..

So it leaves me sitting here.. not being virtually social with my friends lol! and it hurts!

Do you think MSN is written well? or does Adium really clean it up? Head to head just for MSN chatting who comes out top for stability,performance etc

Thoughts?

http://web.bu.edu/celop/faqs/i/logo_msn_mac.jpg VS http://www.mymac.com/img/features/adium_logo-10-4-06.jpg

pmoe
26th April 2009, 08:55 PM
If your friends don't have macs with iChat then they aren't really your friends....

mattcooper
26th April 2009, 08:56 PM
If your friends don't have macs with iChat then they aren't really your friends....

LOL! Shit.... Thats like NONE :-(

"oh Im friendless now.... Fires up Windows PC to be all emo and cut myself emotionally with Microsoft"

lazychef
26th April 2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Guys
I donít like the icon..Just change the colour of the duck, if you don't like the green. or you can get thousands of dock icons to change the way it looks, such as this one. (http://www.adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=xtras&xtra_id=4945)

does Adium really clean it up? Yes, imo it definately "cleans it up" by far the more thorough app. Plus it has the advantages of being able to use so many IM clients in one. Facebook chat, just to name one.

Head to head just for MSN chatting who comes out top for stability,performance etc

Thoughts?I got MSN for Mac when I first bought my iMac. My brother then lead me to Adium and I have not looked back. I'm glad to see the back on MSN for Mac.

Hope this helped.

macgrrl
26th April 2009, 09:13 PM
god. Adium. In my Adium i have MSN, yahoo and facebook chat. Saves on so much time, you can add doubled up profiles together and change the icons and layout easily. Install it. You wont go back.

MrJesseRoss
26th April 2009, 09:34 PM
The fixes make it better. I don't know how the numerous updates can be seen as a bad thing.

Wouldn't the constant updating mean that OS X is unfinished?

zeddie2001
26th April 2009, 10:03 PM
Adium, because MSN messenger is possibly the ugliest app ever written for the Mac, or any operating system come to think of it. It's so ugly Jonathan Ive has to be kept away from it at all costs in case simply looking at it costs him his mojo

mattcooper
26th April 2009, 10:06 PM
The fixes make it better. I don't know how the numerous updates can be seen as a bad thing.

Wouldn't the constant updating mean that OS X is unfinished?

Hey,
Yes you do make a very valid point regarding updates. Im waiting for the damn bluetooth update Apple suppose to be doing...

So in the sense of Adium getting more updates then MSN, Is adium more stable and better performance?

zeddie2001
26th April 2009, 10:44 PM
So in the sense of Adium getting more updates then MSN, Is adium more stable and better performance?

Nope. In and of itself the fact that Adium has more updates simply means that Adium has been updated more frequently. It's possible that it had more holes than a sieve that needed to be patched, but it's much more likely that it was simply regular bug fixes and performance improvements. Trying to draw any conclusion from the fact that it's been updated more is a waste of time.

Knowing people who use both extensively, in terms of stability both programs are very reliable, and stability is most likely not going to be a problem - same as performance.

NeoRicen
26th April 2009, 10:48 PM
Stability and Performance? It's an IM app, if there were any noticeable performance difference between the two one of them must have been coded REALLY badly. As for stability, Adium has never crashed on me before.

Honestly, this discussion is a waste of time, just get Adium, if there's anything that's competitive with it, it's definitely not MSN messenger.

Also, was it really so hard to just try both? They're both free, so you're not losing anything.

mattcooper
26th April 2009, 10:58 PM
Stability and Performance? It's an IM app, if there were any noticeable performance difference between the two one of them must have been coded REALLY badly. As for stability, Adium has never crashed on me before.

Honestly, this discussion is a waste of time, just get Adium, if there's anything that's competitive with it, it's definitely not MSN messenger.

Also, was it really so hard to just try both? They're both free, so you're not losing anything.

Yeah more worried about how they effect the OS performance. I also understand they are both free... just wanted to see what mac community thoughts on the subject was.. Thanks

Edit:
Does adium support features like nudge and emotions if a msn user sends me one?

DJY
26th April 2009, 11:06 PM
Adium if you only are choosing between these two...

but get all your PC mates onto Skype!
It is the new standard anyway - better text, audio, and video options!
Has applications for both Windows and Mac.

Internationally it is the way to go - and I'm more than happy to help everyone stop using even ONE Microsoft product.

NeoRicen
26th April 2009, 11:51 PM
Edit:
Does adium support features like nudge and emotions if a msn user sends me one?
It supports emoticons, nut not nudges.

I'm not sure if MSN for the mac has nudges either, since it's so old.

ZacDavies
26th April 2009, 11:53 PM
Adium does everything except video chat.. plus the new version will have Twitter support

I'm running msn + facebook + google chat through it

Plus I actually disabled the contact list, now I can access it from the menubar - very unobtrusive

Macyoshary
27th April 2009, 07:50 AM
Adium does support nudges now, just not in the same way the Windows Messenger program does. It puts in the message window "<user> wants your attention! " but doesn't actually make a noise or anything so is not really all that useful.

Edit: Oh and I highly recommend Adium over MSN messenger for Mac. It is clean, customisable and stable, especially now that it's out of beta. I use 5 different accounts in it at once and its just really convenient.

crunchysteve
27th April 2009, 08:47 AM

Truth! ;-)

Phase
27th April 2009, 08:57 AM
Adium. MSN for Mac is horrible.

Plus you want nudge support?

It shakes a window, freezes everything for 2 sec, makes a freaking stupid noise, and steals focus off whatever app you were using.

Awesome! :slant:

Brains
27th April 2009, 02:38 PM
I want to like Adium, I really do. But I can never get it to look how I want and behave how I want, and its become so replete with options its easy to get lost. Like most open-sores software, 'features' get added just because the programmers can add them, and usability tends to go out the window.

Sure, the Mac MSN client is ugly. But it works, and stays working, and is easy to set up. I'll take ease of use over feature richness any day.

Phase
27th April 2009, 02:58 PM
Sure, the Mac MSN client is ugly. But it works, and stays working, and is easy to set up. I'll take ease of use over feature richness any day.

The default client is stable, ridiculously easy to setup and is as customizable as you want it to be. :ambivalent:

mattcooper
27th April 2009, 03:47 PM
Hey
I've been using Adium for a few hours and have mixed emotions over it.

Problem was I had to customize it allot to act like MSN Windows Messenger.

*Annoying when chatting to a friend it would make a sound effect every time I would send a message.
*Annoying when I had a chat Window active it would still make a sound effect when they would reply even though the chat session window was active.
*Plus I didn't want to instal growl! So when a user signed in I wouldn't have a clue who it was. I found I could change a setting so a few digits of there display name would show above the Adium logo in the dock. The problem was if they had a long display name like a song title or poem i would have no idea who signed in.. I can see I can edit there alias but so much stuffing around..

Is there a easy way for a popup or something from the adium software itself?

ZacDavies
27th April 2009, 04:57 PM
Don't like sound effects? - TURN THEM OFF
Don't want Growl? - UNINSTALL GROWL
No idea who signed in? - TURN OFF ALIAS, CREATE CUSTOM NAMES, LIKE BOB

No other popup types, afaik MSN sure dosen't have it's own popup type. You could just make the duck icon bounce... have you considered the help menu?

mattcooper
27th April 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah well the sound issue is fixed.

MSN does have a pop up thing.. It pops up on the bottom right corner when a user has signed on.

I did do that alias thing but Its annoying having to go thru every contact. I no you can make the duck bounce. But it would be nice if a small pop up (without growl) rather then limited character text above the ducks head to no who just signed in.

Ive edited my main contacts on my list to a small name i can see when they sign in.

ZacDavies
27th April 2009, 05:38 PM
you can also reduce the maximum width of the contact list to avoid annoying usernames invading screen real-estate

Phase
27th April 2009, 05:49 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20090427-8rb77a9jen6xupqtdprbchdi67.jpg

With some very minor tweaking, Adium can be incredibly unobtrusive.

NeoRicen
27th April 2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah well the sound issue is fixed.

MSN does have a pop up thing.. It pops up on the bottom right corner when a user has signed on.

I did do that alias thing but Its annoying having to go thru every contact. I no you can make the duck bounce. But it would be nice if a small pop up (without growl) rather then limited character text above the ducks head to no who just signed in.

Ive edited my main contacts on my list to a small name i can see when they sign in.
What's wrong with growl? You're asking for something you already have, but refuse to use it for some reason!

mattcooper
27th April 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah i understand you can make it look pretty. The biggest problem is.. I just want it to show me who signed in.. be it however long there username is without installing another application..just like msn does.. It amazes me this is a simple feature and its not in adium

MrJesseRoss
27th April 2009, 06:58 PM
The popup feature is in Adium. It's called Growl.

NeoRicen
27th April 2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it's why they ask you to install Growl.

mattcooper
27th April 2009, 07:18 PM
The popup feature is in Adium. It's called Growl.

alright so another peace of software..

Thanks for everyones comments :-)

lazychef
27th April 2009, 07:29 PM
alright so another peace of software..

Is it such a burden to install growl?

Growl can also be used for many other applications, such as iTunes.
Don't see what the big deal is? Growl is good, and so is Adium.

decryption
27th April 2009, 07:50 PM
If you like how the official MSN client works - why, um, don't you use the official MSN client?

mattcooper
27th April 2009, 07:55 PM
If you like how the official MSN client works - why, um, don't you use the official MSN client?

Yeah, Im going to use Adium for a bit longer to see how it goes. Then I may switch to the offical client..

Thanks everyone

Edit: After playing with every switch/feature/function, Im really starting to love Adium. Big fan of Auto-Reply. I went through and edited all my contacts to there first name so when they log in the dock shows them.... So thanks Mactalk ppls. Once I get so cash ill have to donate to the dev team

Clarkey87
28th April 2009, 04:20 AM
Adium - and I love it. Occasionally have some connectivity issues but, for the most part, it's much better than the ugly piece of crap that is MSN Messenger for Mac.

Aco
28th April 2009, 05:00 AM
Adium. Whoever said unobstrusive, exactly why i love it.

Reubania
4th May 2009, 09:54 PM
Agreed. And you can change the look of it and have it however you want it. FAR better than MSN, which is still stuck in the dinosaur era of all chat clients...