PDA

View Full Version : Local network messaging

cmanou
26th April 2009, 05:38 PM
Hey all,

I've been trying to find a way so that the computers on my network can message each other without using a IM client.

I tried the hint on this site (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005021010302911) but i keep getting a error saying "Finder got an error: Canít continue beep."

Can somebody either help me with my error or suggest another alternative?

Chris

Beau
26th April 2009, 06:16 PM
Easiest way would be to use Bonjour messaging via iChat, if you are willing to settle for an IM client, or there aren't any other methods...

cmanou
26th April 2009, 06:20 PM
Easiest way would be to use Bonjour messaging via iChat, if you are willing to settle for an IM client, or there aren't any other methods...

Thanks but the only problem with that is that both computers have to have it constantly running :(

Beau
26th April 2009, 06:22 PM
You can have iChat run in the background, just enable 'Show iChat in the menu bar'. The only sign that it's running is the chat bubble in the menu bar. :)

cmanou
26th April 2009, 06:50 PM
I've found another one but still getting the same error can anybody help?

set msg to "Enter a message."

set dest to text returned of (display dialog "Enter the machine name to send a message to." default answer "Machine A" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button "OK")

if dest is "Machine A" then
set dest to "eppc://username:password@MachineA.local"
else if dest is "Machine B" then
set dest to "eppc://username:password@MachineB.local"
end if

repeat while true
--Get the msg to send. 1st time it's set above. After that it's the reply from the remote:
set rep to (display dialog msg default answer "" buttons {"Copy to Clipboard", "Cancel", "Send"} default button "Send")

if button returned of rep is "Copy to Clipboard" then
set the clipboard to msg
return
end if

set msg to text returned of rep

--Figure out front app every time through loop in case it gets changed on the other machine:
using terms from application "Finder"
tell application "Finder" of machine dest
set curApp to name of (item 1 of (every application process whose frontmost is true))
end tell
end using terms from

--Send the msg and get any reply:
tell application curApp of machine dest
beep
set rep to (display dialog msg default answer "" buttons {"Copy to Clipboard", "Cancel", "Send"} default button "Send" giving up after 30)

if button returned of rep is "Copy to Clipboard" then
set the clipboard to msg
return
end if

set msg to text returned of rep
end tell

beep
end repeat

Beau
26th April 2009, 07:30 PM
What version of OSX are they running?

After a quick google of the 'eppc' protocol, it looks like it's for Apple Events; Trouble with Remote Apple Events (eppc) and Keychain (http://lists.apple.com/archives/applescript-users/2007/Oct/msg00100.html)

Is this enabled on both machines?

EDIT: D'oh, probably should have read the link in your first post, my apologies.
Perhaps it was removed in later versions of OSX?

cmanou
26th April 2009, 09:54 PM
The eppc part is working im just getting errors trying to run the dialog box in on the other computers finder