PDA

View Full Version : laptop specs needed for this setup?

wolfie
26th April 2009, 08:05 AM
hi guys, im contemplating bewteeen a imac or apple LED 24 display with a macbook/pro.

if i want to consider the second option some more, what could i reasonably require in terms of specs, i dont want a real powerful laptop just yet as the machine ill buy would be a ' gap filler ' for when the new processors come out which i reasonably expect to be released about march next year.

a laptop used for
* surf the net
* mail
* storage photos and itunes
*chat
* games such as X-PLANE, the odd car race game and strategy games like civcity/sim city/ football manager ( these games imo require more ram rather than powerful graphics.

i really dont do any graphics/processing work at all

i dont mind being somewhat restricted in not having the freedom to play anything thats out there at the moment, as i said a bit of a gap filler atm.

with DSE sale ending today its tempting to get a laptop, as on the odd occasion i would like to take it with me for work or watch movies on planes etc...

finally, in my mind i would LIKE to watch tv ( free to air ) on my setup, doing the above activites i listed above on the 24 inch screen, and have the 13/15 inch to watch some tv, and swap it around when i feel like watching a movie ( if this is at all possible )

i realise 4 gig ram is going to be required but im torn on a processor speed and graphics card ( if needed , or will the nvidia intergated chips suffice ? )

thankyou.

* edit *
im also open to a mac mini ( even cheaper ) and would be perfect as ill happily sacrifice portability for a while if it means saving money towards good laptop.

any games i cant run in OSX will be either parallell/fusion or bootcamp

asphotos
26th April 2009, 08:35 AM
for those games, i suspect you need a mbp

"late 2008" MacBook Pro - 3D Graphics Benchmarks (http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp05.html)

wolfie
26th April 2009, 09:01 AM
looks like the low level mbp seems to suffice.
im not much of computer person, but at what rate does framerates become irrlevant to the eye, and those ' benchmarks ' are they maximum limits or minimum or averages ut between the two?

thanks.

lazydesi
26th April 2009, 10:17 AM
base model MBP

have extra cash - go for base model 17 inch MBP

If not Mac, go for Dell studio XPS base model 16.4 inch with RGB FullHD screen for just 2400 Aud

wolfie
26th April 2009, 11:33 AM
ok thanks.

if i plan on being dual video mode, will the graphics card in these mbp do?
i read somewhere dual mode automatically halves the memory on them, which might make having a game and surfing the net be real taxing on the card?

iCarllovesapple
26th April 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi! Yes, i'd get the 24" ACD, and the Macbook Pro.
The Macbook Pro is capable of doing all of the things listed above! You will love it! :)
You wrote about switching screens when watching a movie. Yes - that is possible. You just need to change a display preference which is as easy as saying ABC :)
I receommend using Bottcamp or VM Ware fusion to use windows. Parallel is annoying, and it has been known to crash.
To watch free to air TV you need to buy a little gadget called EyeTV. There is also another brand, but I prefer EyeTV. You do not need 4 gigabytes of ram to use EyeTV. Obviously if you want 4GBs Ram you can get it professionally installed or you can open up the MBP and do it yourself. I'd never do it but I have heard that it is relatively easy to do!
Enjoy your Macbook Pro!
Carl :P

NeoRicen
26th April 2009, 07:19 PM
A MacBook is plenty for what you need. The 9400 may be integrated, but it's a powerful little bugger. Just make sure you get 4GB of RAM.

leon
26th April 2009, 08:25 PM
Have you considered something like a previous generation 17" Macbook Pro?Will handle everything you have listed.
Bonus of the 17" is that you don't necessarily need an external screen, which will save some coin.
These laptops here are already heavily discounted, meaning that when the new laptops come out, you can sell this one and recoup most of your purchase price.

http://www.designwyse.com.au/images/content/multi/Mac-Book-Pro-17-Run-Out_3-13-0.gif

NeoRicen
26th April 2009, 08:28 PM
You guys are going way to far, you don't need a MacBook Pro, let alone a 17" to do what he wants. Heck a current generation White model could handle it.

Talking Cleavage
2nd May 2009, 05:28 PM
A MacBook Unibody would be fine.
Read here for more information on performance:
MacBook (new unibody) with 9400M card - X-Plane Freeware Forums (http://forums.xplanefreeware.net/index.php?showtopic=7497&pid=55111&st=0&#entry55111)