PDA

View Full Version : Help in choosing hard disk

n20nine
24th April 2009, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

I am selling off my 160GB Hitachi hard disk in this forum. Came with my aluminium macbook and i am intending on upgrading to a 320GB hard drive. I am thinking of either:

1. Hitachi 5K500.b hard drive (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/FFA370A7BF845F87862574FE0003054C/$file/TS5K500.B_DS_final.pdf)
2. Hitachi 7K320 hard drive (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/03E516A3C41738C78625743B005AD957/$file/TS7K320_DS.pdf)
3. WD Scorpio (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=482)

I am leaning towards the Hitachi as I have had no problems with mine, and I love the fact that it is very quiet and does not produce too much heat.

Between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm, which should i choose, price diff is negligible? My concern is additional heat, noise and vibration. I was told that battery life sacrifice would at most be 10 minutes? Is this true?

If we are looking at 7200rpm, between the Hitachi and WD, which would you choose? I need to decide quick as someone has expressed interest in buying my current hard disk.

Cheers.

Brains
25th April 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd go for the Hitachi 7K, it's the better drive, and not noticably louder (or that much hotter) than its slower sibling. The 7K series has a very good track record for reliability, too.

nathant123
25th April 2009, 09:15 PM
If I were you I would go for a 7200rpm drive over the 5400rpm types any day! As for which brand, I've had experience with seagate and western digital drives and I've had a 80gb seagate fail on me twice. Western digital is pretty good and I've heard good things about hitachi so either the wd or hitachi should please you. Don't rule out seagate, research about seagate but definitely go for a 7200 model.

decryption
26th April 2009, 01:03 AM
I agree with Brains - go the 7200rpm Hitachi. I've got one in my MBP and it's been great (well, it hasn't died!).

$116 + shipping is a pretty sweet price too (http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=320gb+7K320&spos=1)

n20nine
26th April 2009, 11:25 AM
thanks guys, have decided on the hitachi :)

ok, so when i first get my hard disk, my understanding is that i need to boot from the os x installer disc and do a format first and then reinstall a time machine backup..my question is, is it better to do a fresh install or the time machine backup should not give any trouble later on?

on checking the hdd's health status, will running the extended Apple Hardware Test suffice?

thanks.

cejay
28th April 2009, 09:23 AM
thanks guys, have decided on the hitachi :)

ok, so when i first get my hard disk, my understanding is that i need to boot from the os x installer disc and do a format first and then reinstall a time machine backup..my question is, is it better to do a fresh install or the time machine backup should not give any trouble later on?

on checking the hdd's health status, will running the extended Apple Hardware Test suffice?

thanks.

As long as your source is good, I'd do the boot and restore. It's quick, easy and reliable.

My Seagate died last week (intermittent fault, slow response) and I have the original HDD installed. Need the space!

esm
28th April 2009, 12:16 PM
on a related topic.. which is a better hdd.. hitachi or seagate?

n20nine
28th April 2009, 01:06 PM
go hitachi, from my research, they have a good track record. personally i am not too fond of seagate, most of my friends who had seagate had the drive fail on them at some point and i had a similar experience before. i know that there are many others who have no problems, but i guess its a personal thing. besides, the hitachi is so cool and quiet...

i believe my source is good, i mean i'm only 2 months into using my macbook, so far no problems except ocassionally some programs hang and quit. how long does a reinstall take?

reinstalling involves the leopard cd, going thru the setup process and then the 2nd disc that contains ilife, right? its gonna take at least a day to reinstall everything i have...

esm
28th April 2009, 05:18 PM
thanks for the reply...

I use superduper to create a bootable hdd... so so far I am ok. :) easy to restore in case a failure occurs. :)