PDA

View Full Version : White Macbook - Light through the lid

fidou
23rd April 2009, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a white Macbook that I bought less than a year ago and yesterday night as I was putting my MB to sleep (closing the lid) I noticed that the light from the screen was shining through the lid. You know where you have the Apple logo that shines, usually only the logo is illuminated, right? Well, yesterday I noticed that in some other spots of the lid I could see the light shining through the plastic lid. I was wondering if any of you had experienced that and if that is normal (when the computer gets old)?

Should I take it back to an Apple store?

I attached 2 pictures to give an idea of the issue
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6865/mblightissue01.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mblightissue01.jpg)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5889/mblightissue02.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mblightissue02.jpg)

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I had to take them in a complete dark room and my camera is not very good. In real, the light spot are more shiny

Thanks,

iCarllovesapple
24th April 2009, 01:02 AM
Definitely take it back! Though, if you don't mind it, keep it. I mean, if this is the only fault I'd keep it. How about if they break a hinge or something while repairing it. I usually think about these things before taking in my Macs.
Enjoy your night! :-)

Carl =D

fidou
24th April 2009, 01:15 AM
That's a good point Carl.
I actually thought about that because ironically a year ago I had a very bad experience (similar to what you have described).
Left the computer there for repair and got it back scratched everywhere, bluetooth module missing, etc
Fortunately, at the end they've exchanged it

in fact my concern with that light issue is whether it can get worse with time?

arkenstone
24th April 2009, 08:52 AM
Definitely take it back! Though, if you don't mind it, keep it. I mean, if this is the only fault I'd keep it. How about if they break a hinge or something while repairing it. I usually think about these things before taking in my Macs.
Enjoy your night! :-)

Carl =D

...then they'd fix the hinge?

Seriously, I've not heard a more bullshit line yet today. DON'T REPAIR IT THEY MIGHT BREAK SOMETHING ELSE!

I mean really, what the fuck?

Meanwhile, while I believe you should be entitled to a repair for this issue, I personally would live with it. The exterior cosmetic condition of my gear is of no concern as long as the bits that actually do stuff work well.

fidou
24th April 2009, 09:51 AM
Meanwhile, while I believe you should be entitled to a repair for this issue, I personally would live with it. The exterior cosmetic condition of my gear is of no concern as long as the bits that actually do stuff work well.

Yes it's not really annoying since it's on the lid and I don't see it when I'm using the laptop. I was just trying to see if this issue was common and more importantly if that could lead to some other issues (like a problem with the screen, etc) in the future.

Thanks

tcimac
24th April 2009, 10:00 AM

Seriously, I've not heard a more bullshit line yet today. DON'T REPAIR IT THEY MIGHT BREAK SOMETHING ELSE!

Here here !!

That's like not taking your car back to the dealer under warranty because they may stuff up the gearbox !?!?!?

DenyCrane
24th April 2009, 10:07 AM

What do you mean, Today?

Post #2 is just a line of bullshit full stop!, The guy deserves a squirt with my Paint ball gun for that post.

If it bothers you, take it back, if it does not, then don't.

... Denny crane!

gehenna
25th April 2009, 02:17 PM
It's a pretty valid point that iCarllovesapple makes. You have to be wary of service centres - go for the one with good track records and reputations. I've had more than one terrible experience with service centres where the MacBook my partner owns has come back from repair in worse condition than when it went in.

I don't think it's unreasonable for this point to have been raised at all. Last time the MacBook went in for a top case replacement it came back with a broken Airport Aerial, Smashed Superdrive mounting, and top case clutch was broken.

These things DO happen. People DO need to be aware that not every Apple service centre is worth the logo on the front door.

takamine
25th April 2009, 02:59 PM
My old white Macbook had light coming through as well. When I used it out in bright places, I could see light coming through in the shape of an Apple logo on my screen whilst typing. Not sure if it's normal but it didn't really bother me.

You can call Apple and ask them about it first. If a reseller such as NextByte screws up your Macbook by giving a dodgy repair, just take it back again. If it consistently happens, you might be able to get your Macbook replaced.

Mutters
25th April 2009, 05:11 PM
My old white Macbook had light coming through as well. When I used it out in bright places, I could see light coming through in the shape of an Apple logo on my screen whilst typing. Not sure if it's normal but it didn't really bother me.

That is normal, even for MBPs. Shine a torch at the logo and you will see it on screen.

mutters

fidou
26th April 2009, 02:57 PM
Thank you all for the answers. I reckon I can live with it since it's not bothering me at all when using the Macbook. Just wanted to confirm that this can happen.

~Coxy
28th April 2009, 11:11 AM
That is normal, even for MBPs. Shine a torch at the logo and you will see it on screen.

mutters

I agree. It can actually be a bit annoying to use your Apple laptop in the sun because of it. You get a fuzzy Apple-shaped bright patch on the other side..