PDA

View Full Version : Run Out Mac Book Air

molly
23rd April 2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I am strongly considering purchasing one the Macbooks Airs that designwyse are running out at the moment. It seems like an incredible price, are there any major difference that i should know about between this model and the new one. I dont plan on doing anything to intensive with it, some work related text documents, showing photos and kenote presentations.

Is this the fantastic deal i think it is?

Designwyse Australia (http://www.designwyse.com.au/)

leon
23rd April 2009, 03:05 PM
For what you want to do it will be perfectly adequate, and then some.
I would just jump in and go for it. If you decide you don't like it, I'm sure you could easily sell it on again for the price you paid.
The video "card" in the new one makes watching vids and playing games a much nicer experience. Office documents and showing pictures won't really be accelerated by the 9400m in the new one versus the X3100 in the old.

east
23rd April 2009, 03:17 PM
a good deal indeed. im tempted too but im still waiting for an upgradable memory version...if that ever comes out.

but for this one, you might want to do a few quick searches for common problems for this model if there are any as it is a first release model.

byrnsie
23rd April 2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah that's a very good deal.

Angsty
23rd April 2009, 07:25 PM
I am thinking of getting a Macbook Air to use as a work-only computer, using Bootcamp to connect to a corporate Windows network. (I hate the clunky, ugly desktop I have been given!)

Uses:Office apps, email, Visio.

Would this machine have enough "grunt" to do this work? HDD size is not going to be a problem as all documents will be stored on the LAN drive.

Ang

leon
23rd April 2009, 07:28 PM
I am thinking of getting a Macbook Air to use as a work-only computer, using Bootcamp to connect to a corporate Windows network. (I hate the clunky, ugly desktop I have been given!)

Uses:Office apps, email, Visio.

Would this machine have enough "grunt" to do this work? HDD size is not going to be a problem as all documents will be stored on the LAN drive.

Ang

Do you plan on running XP or Vista?

Angsty
23rd April 2009, 08:50 PM
XP -

a) I don't have the time to learn Vista, and have had negative impressions on it so far as I am my neighbour's Vista Help Desk :)
b) the company is still mainly XP Pro environment.

Doable?

leon
23rd April 2009, 10:23 PM
From a spec's point of view I can't see why not. All comes down to how good the bootcamp drivers are for the Air. Surely there must be many mactalk members who have this type of system and could chime in.

Angsty
23rd April 2009, 10:53 PM
Please chime in folks :)

In the meantime, I will google for more info on Bootcamp drivers; thanks for the hint on that!

~Coxy
24th April 2009, 10:49 AM
The MBA should be fine for that. It's still a fastish dual core computer, it will be perfectly fast at running email and office apps.

Heck, it's probably faster than my work machine and I have to run Visual Studio and SQL Server.

Angsty
24th April 2009, 11:18 AM
LOL, my work machine is currently grunting everytime I click on a submit button or open a new window. *something* is straining in it and I think the clacking keyboard can be heard as far as the floor below me.

Now, to find the lowest possible price....

Angsty - doing my bit for the economy :p

Syrecx
24th April 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm using an MBA for office and home. Its decent for your needs. I run vmware and have xp installed. Works a treat. Not much lag..but I only use it with MYOB though. I'm not sure what you will be running in your windows. You'll see the Fan rpm goes high up when you are running alot of apps.

Angsty
25th April 2009, 09:13 PM
What the heck - I ordered it today. :)

During the day, it can be a native Windows machine and do boring spreadsheets, meeting minutes and Visio flowcharts, at night it can be a cool Mac machine and do creative multimedia stuff.

(Some Apple affiliate $$ coming your way Decryption :cool: