PDA

View Full Version : Time machine problem after SuperDuper clone to new drive

jubilantjeremy
23rd April 2009, 01:29 AM
Hey guys,

Got a bit of a problem - time machine keeps popping up with error messages every n minutes, saying that my backup is too big for my backup volume.

This happened immediately after I cloned my old 250 gb drive onto a new 320 gb drive, when I upgraded my macbook (using the latest purchased copy of SuperDuper).

My backup volume is a 500 gb Maxtor (USB).

Since I didn't 'add' any new data after cloning the drive - yet time machine says there's not enough space on the backup drive (but there was plently before) - I would say that TM has just 'not realised' that a Backups.backupdb/macbook/ is already there for this system.

I seem to have 2 choices :

1. Convince time machine to use the same backups.db (HOW?!)

2. Delete the backup folder and start again with time machine.

option 1 is preferable, but option 2 is OK since I only really use time machine to keep a current copy of my system incase of HD failure - I've never used the file history restore bit.

I would really appreciate any advice!

Cheers
Jeremy

harryb2448
23rd April 2009, 07:01 AM
Why not keep on using SuperDuper? The Smart Backup option now you have a registered product is really fast and takes about 12-15 minutes to back an entire system, writing only the changes since the last backup.

lukemc
23rd April 2009, 09:30 AM
I had the same issues, i ditched time machine, am now using superduper, the smart backup is great. I did a test (and held my breath nearly the whole time) last night, by reinstalling leopard on the Air i have, full erase and install, then used the super duper backup (a the screen which would normally use time machine, or migration assist) to "import settings etc from other machine" and it worked a treat! Money well spent.

jubilantjeremy
28th April 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys.

I've decided to switch to SD over TM (which was always backing up and, frankly, pretty annoying).

This morning I went to wake my macbook from deep sleep and the 'progress bar' stopped about 1/4 of the way in - argh! I hard rebooted and got the grey screen, very quickly flashing between the 'apple logo' and the 'forbidden/strike through' logo..
Resetted PRAM and it booted OK, but I definitely want to backup now!

One question - are you backing up to a sparse image, or cloning the contents to the new drive?

The advantage of a spareseimage seems to be that I can keep other stuff on the drive without it being disorganised; the advantage of cloning the files means I can boot from it in an emergency.

What do you guys do - spareseimage or file copy?

Cheers
Jeremy

jubilantjeremy
29th April 2009, 02:23 PM
bump?

lukemc
29th April 2009, 02:35 PM
ummmmmm i just used the backup all files option, sorry unsure if thats sparse image or not

jubilantjeremy
29th April 2009, 03:39 PM
ummmmmm i just used the backup all files option, sorry unsure if thats sparse image or not

Nope, that makes a copy of all the files.

If you backup to sparseimage, how can you restore without using another machine (running superduper) or another drive with OS X installed?

Cheers

lukemc
29th April 2009, 03:42 PM
i dont have my external to connect and without that i cant bring up the options

I believe i created a sandbox, and a backup of all files, then i re-installed OS x and chose import settings/files etc from another machine, then chose the backup files partition (where i did the backup all files) and it all worked.

Sorry i cant be more specific, it was trial and error and i created a time machine backup too on a different partition just in case.

lukemc
29th April 2009, 03:43 PM
i can tell you i struggled to follow the directions in the PDF that came with it

jubilantjeremy
30th April 2009, 08:25 PM
Just as a followup; I deleted the backups.backupdb folder (which took ages) and went to sleep. When I woke up time machine had started working again, starting afresh, and had already made a number of backups.

I left it going as it wasn't time machine itself that was the problem, it was the failure to recognise that there was an existing backup.

Cheers
Jeremy

richbowen
30th April 2009, 10:34 PM
Going back to your original problem ...

The MacCast (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=74374416) was talking about Time Machine a few weeks ago (or yesterday if you were in my car). Adam said that Time Machine links it's backup to the unique GUID for the source hard drive. If you change the source HD then it creates a new backup from scratch. This might be the reason that you were receiving a message that there was not sufficient space ... because your TM backup from your original HD was still on the backup disk there was not enough space to create a new backup for the new HD.

jubilantjeremy
1st May 2009, 08:06 PM
Going back to your original problem ...

The MacCast (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=74374416) was talking about Time Machine a few weeks ago (or yesterday if you were in my car). Adam said that Time Machine links it's backup to the unique GUID for the source hard drive. If you change the source HD then it creates a new backup from scratch. This might be the reason that you were receiving a message that there was not sufficient space ... because your TM backup from your original HD was still on the backup disk there was not enough space to create a new backup for the new HD.

Yep, that's exactly what was happening, though I didn't know it was using the GUID stuff..!