PDA

View Full Version : Unibody MBP warped?

Deanodriver
21st April 2009, 11:51 PM
I bought a late 2008 unibody MBP a few weeks ago, and I do like it quite a lot (recent switcher). However, I think that the casing may not be completely flat.

When I press down on the front right hand corner (with the laptop open), it feels like there's more movement (like it's a bit in the air) compared to the other three corners, kind of like a table with one leg slightly shorter than the other.

I've tried this on different tables with the same problem. I have also removed and replaced the drive/battery cover a few times to see if that was the problem. I can slide paper underneath the rubber foot on that corner easier as well. (and it's flat when I put a few sheets of paper underneath the corner)

The MBP has barely left my desk as well, so I doubt it's been damaged in any way.

What could the problem be? Could the casing of the MBP be warped?

xfodder
22nd April 2009, 07:57 AM
how many sheets of paper fit under the foot? because you do know that a sheet of paper is less than a mm in thickness right? its possible one of the rubber feet is smaller than the other three ... but still i dont see a problem, as it sounds like a very small discrepancy.

takamine
22nd April 2009, 05:59 PM
If you had picked this up earlier, you could have called Apple and tell them to DOA it. My first unibody Macbook had a small chip on the right palmrest. It was quite obvious and looked like a spec of dust from a distance but it did bother me so I called Apple about it and obtained a case number. I then went back to Myer and explain what happened and they gave me a new one on the spot.

Seeing as though it's been a few weeks, I don't think you'd be eligible. If you think it's serious enough, consider calling up Apple and see what they can do. You could possibly get a replacement bottom case or something.

When I was on the phone with Apple explaining about that small chip, they apologized to me for it and told me I shouldn't get anything less than perfect. You probably paid around $3000+ for it so do consider calling up Apple. By the way, they're quite friendly :)

dekco
22nd April 2009, 09:49 PM
and for macbooks phone support, you are put thru to a local call centre. Or at least one who speaks English natively.

Deanodriver
22nd April 2009, 11:50 PM
how many sheets of paper fit under the foot? because you do know that a sheet of paper is less than a mm in thickness right? its possible one of the rubber feet is smaller than the other three ... but still i dont see a problem, as it sounds like a very small discrepancy.

Three or four pages is about right (a use for my bank statement). I agree it isn't a big problem, but I do notice it when putting my right wrist on the laptop. I do notice that the rubber foot on that corner is slightly less worn than the others.

Seeing as though it's been a few weeks, I don't think you'd be eligible. If you think it's serious enough, consider calling up Apple and see what they can do. You could possibly get a replacement bottom case or something.

When I was on the phone with Apple explaining about that small chip, they apologized to me for it and told me I shouldn't get anything less than perfect. You probably paid around $3000+ for it so do consider calling up Apple. By the way, they're quite friendly :)

Might be the best call, shame there's no mention of operating hours on Apple's website. (just checked, 8-6, shame I'm not home during that time) Oh, I bought it on the 4th of April :)

I know I might be a bit anal about this, but hey, I spent a fair bit of money on it (much more than the Compaq laptop it replaced), I guess I would like it to be perfect. Could it even be the battery/drive cover that's a bit wonky, rather than the chassis itself?

The screen hinge also feels much looser than my previous laptop (almost unnaturally loose). Probably more what I'm used to (needed two hands to open the Compaq) than the laptop, though.

Akshunhiro
23rd April 2009, 09:49 AM
Does it look like this?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1133/1239759391035.jpg

dekco
23rd April 2009, 10:36 AM
WTH!?!............ that just went thru to hell and back. clearly it was damaged thru mishandling

ZAK248313
23rd April 2009, 08:12 PM
Had the same prob- DOA'ed it.

I know people say "oh, its probably just the rubber foot". For me, dropping 4.5K on a laptop, I want perfection out of the box.

Once it goes back for repair, who knows what they claim the problem is.

dingl
23rd April 2009, 10:50 PM
Got mine back in Dec 2008 and didn't have this problem...

takamine
23rd April 2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah DOA is usually my favourite thing to do (if I get a faulty product) as you get to 'demo' the faulty one first, scratch it up, and test out its wear and tear resistance. When I got my first unibody Mac, I powered it up straight away and used it. This caused the battery to lose some health initially. I think it says somewhere that you're supposed to plug it straight into the power and leave it charging for a few hours before powering up for the first time. So I DOA'd that Macbook with 96% battery health and got a brand new one. This time I did it right and it's still going strong at 100%.

Back on topic, I think Apple might possibly get you to take some photos of it to prove it. I took quite a few photos for them of my old White Macbook when it had a warped case. So just be prepared to use your camera soon.

takamine
23rd April 2009, 11:13 PM
Does it look like this?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1133/1239759391035.jpg

I'd like to see you take that to NextByte. Wonder if they'll give an excuse not to fix it :p

dekco
23rd April 2009, 11:50 PM
based on my experience with nextbyte, they will say, sorry, pay up! (or we will send it to apple and see what they says *if it is in warranty*)

Deanodriver
24th April 2009, 06:38 AM
It's not really noticable with a camera, only when using it IRL.

I'll give Apple a call, and maybe take it to one of the local resellers.

I don't really want to be Mac-less while it's off being repaired though. :p