PDA

View Full Version : MagSafe Replacement?

ex5bn
21st April 2009, 01:02 PM
Hi all. My MagSafe Adaptor which came with my MacBook Pro i purchased July 2008 is on it's way out i think.

The cord on the side which connects to the MacBook Pro has pulled away from the transformer by about 5mm, leaving the inner core exposed (quite possibly dangerous i'm guessing?). Also the transformer emits a low-level buzzing sound; nothing too irritating or anything, but the sound is definitely there.

I don't like to continue using this adaptor, but i just saw that a new one from Apple is $109! On eBay, some Chinese retailers had them for around $60, but i'm not sure if they're genuine... Can anyone vouch for those?

Otherwise, is there anyway that Apple would replace it under warranty? (given that the problems aren't particularly obvious or urgent). I live in Perth so i don't know what we have in the way of Apple Retailers... not much i'm guessing.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys

alanthomasball
21st April 2009, 02:46 PM
You can use this Apple page (http://www.apple.com/au/buy/) to search for a Reseller, or Service Centre.

They may well cover it under warranty, but it is best to check before shelling out a hungie for something off the interwebs.

~Coxy
21st April 2009, 04:16 PM
It's less than a year old; if you take it back to a Apple Shop they should replace it for you.

takamine
21st April 2009, 06:46 PM
It should be covered under warranty. Call Apple first and get a case number. They're usually pretty nice about these kind of these in my past experience. All the best!

iCarllovesapple
21st April 2009, 07:29 PM
It is definatelly covered under the warranty. If you haven't already, please do yourself a favour and get Apple care. You can get it on ebay for $268. It IS worth it. You will eventually need it! Weather it be the magsafe or the trackpad something may go wrong :(
I hope you get the replacement without breaking a sweat! :-)
Carl

ex5bn
21st April 2009, 11:14 PM
sweet, thanks for the help guys. i'll try calling Apple tomorrow and let you guys know how i go!

cheers

Back2Bedlam
21st April 2009, 11:38 PM
sweet, thanks for the help guys. i'll try calling Apple tomorrow and let you guys know how i go!

cheers

I had one replaced by Apple via Digilife Perth, with the same issue. However they sent it away, before advising me it was faulty and replacing it. I'd go, if I was you, to NextByte Nedlands service centre, and show it to them, you may get one straight away.

mcbaine
22nd April 2009, 12:03 AM
unless im mistaken i dont think applecare covers power adapters or batterys. you have your standard 12 months and thats it even if you have APP.

teamshaw
22nd April 2009, 06:48 AM
That is a known problem with the magsafe's. I had the same with my 2006 Macbook last year. Took it into the Apple shop way out of warranty and they replaced it on the spot, no Applecare.

haydio
22nd April 2009, 08:07 AM
I got mine replaced out of warrantee, but I did make it sound like that I would of died if the cable had shorted out.

Back2Bedlam
22nd April 2009, 08:13 AM
unless im mistaken i dont think applecare covers power adapters or batterys. you have your standard 12 months and thats it even if you have APP.

This is covered by Applecare (http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_Asia_en.pdf), as long as the item has a fault that incurred by customer or third party.

~Coxy
22nd April 2009, 10:59 AM
No, he's right. Batteries are NOT covered by the extended warranty that AppleCare provides.

Power adaptors are a bit interesting, they aren't listed an an exclusion but many techs at service centres claim they are a 'consumable'.

ex5bn
22nd April 2009, 12:43 PM
Let me get this straight - if i take it into Next Byte after speaking to Apple on the phone, they might replace the adaptor on the spot free of charge??

Why? I've never been to a Next Byte before but they'll give me a free charger if i go in and ask?

~Coxy
22nd April 2009, 04:19 PM
Yep, they are meant to do that. NextByte then sends the broken one back to Apple and gets reimbursed for the one they gave away. It's the same deal as any repair under warranty.

takamine
22nd April 2009, 05:38 PM
Yes it's very important to talk to Apple first. If you just walk into any NextByte without calling Apple first, they'll just tell you it's your fault and they can't do anything about it. I've heard that one too many times. There was once my topcase was replaced and after the repair, I took a look at it, and they didn't put it on properly (the mouth of the superdrive was warped so no CDs and DVDs could go in properly). I asked them about it and the service tech even went to the trouble of using a plastic thing to try bend the opening so it could take CDs and DVDs again. But it sure looked like abuse about that. I'm glad I said something on the spot after he did that because he arranged for a new one.

It'll probably be easier with a power adapter.