PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 12" I/O Errors

tobias_r33per
21st April 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Peoples,

I have a Powerbook G4 12" 867/60/512/Combo version.
I need to figure out of this is a logicboard issue or a ribbon cable problem.

HDD when trying to format or access in Tiger/Leopard or Even in Linux, I/O Device errors when trying to get into the drive. No partitions ar recognised this happens of ANY drive i test in it, 30Gb,40GB,160GB still no dice, these are all 5400rpm drives.

BUT all drives in a USB caddy on the same system can be accessed and formatted , but sadley cannot install to USB cause this model cannot boot from USB. But it gives me hope cause it isnt the HDD's.

BUT i do need to know whether it is the Logic board or the ribbon cause if its the board i cannot afford to replace that :sad:

ClockWork
21st April 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm having trouble understanding your request as your written English looks like it was typed just before evacuating a burning building.

Whatever the problem is, a very very simple way of finding out what the problem is and whether it's worth the repair or not, is by taking it into an Apple Service Centre, where I believe, for something like $35, the Techs will tell you which part has bummed out, and what the full cost of repair is.

Computers NOW in Crows Nest are very good.

tobias_r33per
21st April 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm having trouble understanding your request as your written English looks like it was typed just before evacuating a burning building.

Whatever the problem is, a very very simple way of finding out what the problem is and whether it's worth the repair or not, is by taking it into an Apple Service Centre, where I believe, for something like $35, the Techs will tell you which part has bummed out, and what the full cost of repair is.

Computers NOW in Crows Nest are very good.

It does sound like a good idea,

and yes trying to type with meningitis on the brain does that to your senteces

ClockWork
21st April 2009, 12:05 PM
Meningitis you say... ? Associations with fever, confusion and/or altered consciousness - oooo - I think I'd be putting my own health over some piddly Powerbook G4.

To avoid related confusion, I suggest you do not book your Powerbook G4 in for an examination with your GP, before whisking yourself off for a spinal examination at an Apple Service Centre. Leave it for today. ::nods::

~Coxy
21st April 2009, 04:21 PM
I think it's more likely to be the ribbon cable, but unfortunately without trying a replacement cable it's impossible to say for sure.

Does the DVD drive read? If so, then it's likely to be the hard disk ribbon cable only.

Byrd
21st April 2009, 04:40 PM
If you can boot off the optical drive, you can safely assume the PB's I/O is OK.

Have you also tried booting off a firewire drive?

JB

tobias_r33per
21st April 2009, 06:20 PM
If you can boot off the optical drive, you can safely assume the PB's I/O is OK.

Have you also tried booting off a firewire drive?

JB

I can successfully boot of the Combo Drive in to tiger or leopard install. Even a Ubuntu disk boots. So if this is the case then i might be able to get hold of a new ribbon cable and test it, and i might try a firewire drive tonight.

tobias_r33per
21st April 2009, 11:10 PM
I can successfully boot of the Combo Drive in to tiger or leopard install. Even a Ubuntu disk boots. So if this is the case then i might be able to get hold of a new ribbon cable and test it, and i might try a firewire drive tonight.

It seems that it will infact install and boot from the firewire. This is great news too. I will have to get a new HDD ribbon, any one know where i can get one in sydney?

Byrd
22nd April 2009, 09:51 AM
How does the existing HD ribbon cable look - is it severed?

Not sure on Sydney re: spare mac parts, but you could try Applebits in Melbourne or I just found this site too:

Used Mac Sales Melbourne. Second Hand Apple Macintosh Computers & Computer Systems Melbourne (http://www.computerchange.com.au/)

JB

Brains
22nd April 2009, 12:00 PM
Just as an FYI, whilst the hard drive IDE cable could be the culprit, it could still be the logicboard despite the fact that your optical drive works reliably. I've seen two PowerBook G4's where one half of the onboard IDE controller has either died completely (optical works, no HDs recognised) or, like you, given nothing but grief with strings of I/O errors. Both machines belong to a friend who uses them as low-power internet machines that work happily off a small FW external.

tobias_r33per
22nd April 2009, 05:08 PM
Just as an FYI, whilst the hard drive IDE cable could be the culprit, it could still be the logicboard despite the fact that your optical drive works reliably. I've seen two PowerBook G4's where one half of the onboard IDE controller has either died completely (optical works, no HDs recognised) or, like you, given nothing but grief with strings of I/O errors. Both machines belong to a friend who uses them as low-power internet machines that work happily off a small FW external.

im praying it is only the ribbon, cause logics are expensive..

i have got my powerbook to install and boot from a external mini firewire drive, so there is hope

I have ordered a new ribbon and it will be here in a few days.

Hope it works :(