PDA

View Full Version : Battery shuts down showing over an hour left...

DebB
21st April 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey all, still having battery issues. The MBP now will shut down showing over an hour still left in the battery status indicator. Plug it in, and off it goes again. The computer seems to be confused about how much battery it has. Istat pro sometimes shows 87% health and sometimes 51. When it is showing 87 that is when the machine will drop dead. I have done SMC and calibration. Should I do them again or could that make the problem worse? Can't afford a new battery right now....

Deb

leon
21st April 2009, 11:08 AM
Sounds to me like the battery is stuffed. When my Macbook battery died it would do what you are stating, although it would be at the 25-30% level. No amount of calibration/SMC resetting would cure me problem.
Only thing I could do was get another battery.

Maybe call Apple and see if they will exchange it for you. From memory, yours was a replacement wasn't it? It should have some type of warranty on it.

Devil rolla
21st April 2009, 11:17 AM
read the scary stories on apple store about bulging batteries, the 200 is a worthy investment, I had the same problems, new battery now, no problems !

iCarllovesapple
21st April 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi. If you do find that the battery is dead (And If you're MBP is out of the warranty period) Apple are quite nice in replacing the battery free of charge! :-)

Carl

JimWOz
21st April 2009, 11:46 AM
Now you are making me nostaglic for my old "battery roulette" game Deb.

I confess that I still use one of my old ones every now and then.
" do ya feel lucky punk, well do ya ???"

Seriously, I tried everything with mine, (SMC retest, recalibrate) - like you have, hoping for a stable situation, even if it only had 75% capacity, but no luck.

I've even had a situation a few times where the battery would stop charging at only 55% capacity, ie green light on the adaptor plug. Un plug, then re plug and it would charge up to 100% (of the 70 odd percent remaining capacity).

With my old ones, now I consider myself to be in the minefield/UXB territory when they get under 40% on the remaining charge gauge.

Maybe one or more of the cells is weak and when its charge drops below a certain level, it just provides no voltage and so the machine dies on the spot. Maybe there is a case for the management software to be more sophisticated, and monitor individual cells.

I sometimes think it would be better if the battery just waved a white flag and refused to play at all.

DebB
21st April 2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, I agree Jim. If it just 'didn't work' then that would be that. I will try making a genius bar appointment and see how far I get after reading them the atrocious history of this computer.

*Sighs in defeat*

forgie
21st April 2009, 12:47 PM
Certain models of MB got free battery replacements (mine included) for similar symptoms. I dunno about the MBPs though, you'll have to do a bit of research.

DebB
21st April 2009, 01:28 PM
I've already had one free replacement - doubt they'd give me another.....

forgie
21st April 2009, 03:24 PM
If the replacement is failing, which it sounds like it is, it's worth a shot.