connecting a Windows XP Pro laptop to iMac running OS10.3. The WAP is
connected to the Mac via the ethernet port and is registering that it has a
100MPS connection. All the right lights on the WAP seem to be on and the
correct colour.

The laptop is connected to the wireless network, but we have been unable to
actually get it connected to the mac (to share internet connection, files or
printer).

At the Mac end,

Internet sharing is On (via built-in ethernet)
Personal file sharing is on.
Windows sharing is on.
Printer sharing is on.

We have set up a username for the laptop and are trying to reach it via an
ethernet connection at the address specified in the Sharing Services window
(ie "Other computers on your local subnet can reach your computer at...")

When we try to connect (via Broadband WAN Miniport (PPPOE) we get the
following error message (after about 20 seconds of trying to connect):

"The remote computer did not respond"

Any ideas about where we are going wrong?

Thanks and cheers

Rebecca

decryption
13th June 2004, 02:18 PM
Are you sure both computers have a proper IP address and a subnet?

macshack
13th June 2004, 02:41 PM
We have found the IP Address and subnet name on the Mac - but can't find an appropriate control panel on the PC to enter the IP address.

it's the subnet name that we try to connnect to - it then doesn't respond.

rebecca

decryption
13th June 2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by macshack@Jun 13 2004, 02:41 PM
We have found the IP Address and subnet name on the Mac - but can't find an appropriate control panel on the PC to enter the IP address.

it's the subnet name that we try to connnect to - it then doesn't respond.

rebecca
You need to give the Mac an IP of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the PC an IP of 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

In Windows, go to Start, Settings, Network Connections. Then double click the appropriate interface (I assume you want the wireless one?). When the new window pops up, click Properties and scroll down to the TCP/IP protocol in the list there. Select it and choose Properties.

Choose, "Use the Following IP address" then enter in the IP address.

When you've done that, open a command prompt in Windows, and try to ping the Mac, by typing: ping 192.168.1.1 and see if you get any replies. If you get an error, there is something else wrong :P

Quamen
13th June 2004, 03:15 PM
ok. Since I use windows XP a fair bit I know what you need to do.

To find the current IP address on the pc, go to start->run then type 'cmd' to bring up the command prompt, then type 'ipconfig /all' and it will give you your current details for every network device on the laptop.

Can you pint the access point from the laptop? also in the command prompt type 'ping 192.168.0.1' replace the 192.168.0.1 with whatever the IP address of your access point is. Also try doing this from the mac, same command done from the terminal.

If you want to know where to change the settings in windows. To give your laptop a fixed IP. Then go to start->my network places->(on the left)view network connections
then right click on the wireless card and go to properties. Then in the scroll box find TCP/IP, highlight that and click properties. There you can change the IP address. Also in the properties box of the wireless card you can click the wireless networks tab and see what the La[top can actually find. It should find the access point.

You shouldn't need to define the IP address' of your laptop if the mac has internet sharing enabled, as it should have a dhcp server going.

I don't know much about the mac side of networking. My current setup is the other way around. I have a mac laptop, and a linux based server I am currently building. I know my way around windows better than macs (I've only had mien since thursday) and linux which I know a bit about....good thing is a lot of the linux stuff I know appliess to OSX. Me = loving the terminal.