PDA

View Full Version : is this normal or abuse ?

Echo63
19th April 2009, 09:16 PM
Hi guys and girls

I am doing most of my personal imaging work on my macbook these days, as i can do it anywhere - during a lunch break at work etc

what i want to know is - is this normal while processing images in lightroom ?
this is a screengrab of istat nano of a fairly light exporting session (hour and a half editing, 10 mins into exporting about 100 images (culled from 450)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Echo63/temps.jpg
the fan spooled up as it should, but the temp got pretty high, all the screenshots were done as quick as i could, but there is some variance in fan speed and temp

is this going to damage anything if i keep doing this, maybe 3-4 times a month ??

thanks in advance

PS, the macbook was just sitting on a desk, charged but running on power and its maybe 24-25 degrees ambient temp

oh and its a 2.4ghz unibody macbook with 4gb ram

iPirate
19th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Bah, I've reached 90. Use Fan Control 2, and sit the lappy on a cool platform (eg: metal or stone).

takamine
19th April 2009, 09:58 PM
There was once my CPU temp reached 95 degrees C. I think that was when I was converting a video in VisualHub from AVI to MP4. I've got the same Macbook with the stock 2GB RAM. I'd say that's normal (actually pretty good). If it crashes and burns, then I'm sure Apple will replace it if it's still within warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much :)

byrnsie
19th April 2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah that seems pretty normal if the computer is under load, when I am converting videos with handbrake my macbook (same model as yours) gets into the 80C - 90C easy and the fans are going at around 4500rpm. So I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

ipwn
19th April 2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah that seems pretty normal if the computer is under load, when I am converting videos with handbrake my macbook (same model as yours) gets into the 80C - 90C easy and the fans are going at around 4500rpm. So I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

+1

I usually sit around 80-85deg for final cut rendering, however sitting it on the right surface can help dissipate the heat.

Echo63
19th April 2009, 11:58 PM
sounds like i dont have anything to worry about

thanks everyone

foxy
20th April 2009, 01:31 AM
If you leave it plugged in with the battery in it normally sends the temperature and fans nuts if your doing serious converting work.

Leave the power plugged in, then remove the battery, and elevate the macbook, will run these operations quieter and cooler, which will give you added peace of mind that the internals will be safe.

leon
20th April 2009, 08:31 AM
If you leave it plugged in with the battery in it normally sends the temperature and fans nuts if your doing serious converting work.

Leave the power plugged in, then remove the battery, and elevate the macbook, will run these operations quieter and cooler, which will give you added peace of mind that the internals will be safe.

Actually this statement is incorrect. When you remove the battery from an Apple laptop the CPU downclocks to around 1.0GHz. Operations may run cooler but you sacrifice a lot of performance.
Not recommended.