PDA

View Full Version : Battery problems after new logic board installed

DebB
18th April 2009, 02:17 PM
Hey there all,

My MBP recently died, and the nice people at Apple replaced the logic board under extended warranty. All is now good, except after 2 weeks, the battery has dropped from 88% to 52% health. This happened pretty much all at once a couple of days ago.

Now this battery has done this before and has just as suddenly gone back to 88-87%. I have done a calibration and reset the SMC but it is still down at 51. It is the 2nd battery I've had in this machine, which is 18 months old. The first did a massive drop while under warranty and was replaced.

Could the new logic board have anything to do with the battery drop this time, or do you think it is just my dodgy battery playing up again?

If I were to buy a new battery, would it be the same dodgy type of battery, or is there an alternative/newer model I can get to hopefully avoid these problems?

Thanks,
Deb

DebB
18th April 2009, 02:30 PM
Now, you see, the machine is haunted. It saw me write this post and surf to apple looking at the price of new batteries. It is now back at 87%. When I started up the computer it was 51. Go figure. Why does this happen, anyone?

dekco
18th April 2009, 02:33 PM
give apple a ring, speak to the guys (gals), and ask for a replacement to be sent out. they will ask for your CC details, and once you send it back, they will release funds back to you.

j.c.
18th April 2009, 04:37 PM
give apple a ring, speak to the guys (gals), and ask for a replacement to be sent out. they will ask for your CC details, and once you send it back, they will release funds back to you.

No they won't. Batteries die, unfortunately, and this one was just at the end of it's life.

Asking if the logic board had anything to do with the death of a battery that's already shown symptoms of being buggered (i.e. the sudden drop in health %) is like asking if the battery has died because it's the end of the school holidays.

Batteries are not sentient.

DebB
18th April 2009, 05:23 PM
But is it the battery, or the SMC that is the problem. The computer just shut down on me with a flat battery, while showing an hour and a half still remaining. Plugged in, started up again, and the battery health is 51 % again.

The battery has had 252 cycles. So, is it really at the end of its life? I have read they only last for 300 or so. Is this true? I just need to buy another battery? I hope I don't fork out for another one and have it act as crappy as the 2 I've had so far. Doesn't inspire confidence.

It just seemed odd that these problems came back so suddenly when the battery had been fine for ages. Of course i know that batteries are not sentient.... :p

JimWOz
18th April 2009, 05:39 PM
Deb, I've got 3 MacBook batteries, two with about 170 cycles each and a new one only a month or so old with 5 cycles on it now.

The older 2 are both head cases like yours, jumping about all over the place between 75% and 40 odd. Not to be trusted to keep the machine running when they get below 35% and especially not if a firewire HD is hanging off as well.

The new one performs just fine, so I know that in my case it's the 2 1/2 year old batteries that are wacked.

DebB
18th April 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Jim. That cheered me up a bit! Once it goes down to 30-40 percent I'll be off to buy a new one.

Wally
19th April 2009, 10:55 AM
My macbook battery started doing the same thing, I've since purchased a new one from the Apple Store (which is $199 BTW)

I tried to get it working last night, but its completely dead and possibly beyond revival.

Lumus
19th April 2009, 12:01 PM
Your last option is to try recalibrating the battery. There is an article on Apple's website. I think it involves charging your battery to full, running the computer on battery until it completely shuts down, then charging it for about 8 hours or something. This resets the battery's internal health monitor.... or something.... :D

DebB
19th April 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, as I said, I have recalibrated the battery and reset the SMC.

Wally, do you mean your new battery is dead too???? :eek:

Lumus
19th April 2009, 08:21 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't skim-read posts........