PDA

View Full Version : what do you use your iphone for that blows you away every time?

oneplusone
18th April 2009, 11:27 AM
Hey Laydeez & Gents,

I'm doing AWARD school at the moment (it's like Advertising School for Art Directors and Copywriters), and we have a brief on the iPhone.

What we need to say is that 'you can do anything with the iPhone'.

So what I want to know from y'all, is what amazing things can your iPhone do?
What do you love (& hate) most about it?

I'm thinking about assuming that 3.0 will be out when I present this ad (about 2 months), so that can be included in the ad somehow.

Cheers for your help in advance,
Nick.

Phase
18th April 2009, 11:46 AM
GPS + Google Maps is amazing.

Then your jaw drops when you go into street view and 'look around'

LithgowLights
18th April 2009, 11:52 AM
I love the size for what it does. I can be away from home, check my email, chat with my wife & kids via MSN, surf the net, listen to music, read a book (Kindle reader for iPhone is cool!), listen to podcasts or watch a TV show or movie, all on the 1 device. Oh add Geocaching and basic GPS functions including Google Earth.

I used to carry around a PDA, a cheap iPod-like music player and a phone, plus a GPS at times as well. Now I have the iPhone which is thinner than the phone, more storage than the music player, easier to use than the PDA.

Last week my son asked me how many ounces in an imperial Tonne, and what the difference was between a metric and imperial tonne. Literally 10 seconds with Units and I had the answer on the phone.

Want to know who sung that song? My kids are always asking who sung that song on the radio, and with Shazam I get a hit more than 95% of the time.

It still has issues I dont like:
Battery life is poor in fringe areas

Themes and additional tones (Email/SMS) are not user selectable unless you Jailbreak

Lack of Flash support makes some websites unusable

The camera is horrid. It's not just the 2MP sensor, but also the extremely small lens & fixed focus. We;ll have to see how good the 3.2 is in the new phone lol

Color catagories would be great in the Calendar (similar to Outlook on the PC). I use the catagories a LOT so having the phone reflect that would be great.

spargo
18th April 2009, 12:12 PM
I'll be keeping tabs on this - I still need convincing even with the new version coming soon.

wabbit
18th April 2009, 02:49 PM
Im always surprised with the sheer number of applications. I've never had such a small device with this amount of "extras". Secondly where this device is heading with the version 3.0 stuff is unreal.

Vaempyr
18th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Shazam.

Sure, the iPhone is the best PDA/phone/MP3 player I've ever used, but Shazam is the app that has truly blown me away time after time.

chrisede
18th April 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think the iPhone does anything that blows me away.

Honestly. I'm at the point where the iPhone is doing things right, and I'm blown away because other products don't do it. Or don't do it correctly.

David Turnedge
18th April 2009, 09:17 PM
I still miss my Moto for phone... but Safari and Maps are the two things I never cease to be amazed by... other phones can have those two same features but none does them as well as the iPhone... and the iPhone UI is just sublime.

rustyshelf
18th April 2009, 10:16 PM
The one thing that blew me away was just how well the UI was done. Everything is fluid, everything is consistant, it looks like one person designed it, not a committee.

But more specifically:
Safari: I've never had a mobile browsing experience like it

Mail: It rocks my world, especially now that it's searchable (I run 3.0)

Podcasts: Download (or stream) podcasts straight over 3G or Wifi...Love it! Use this in the car all the time.

Pocket Weather AU: No more surfing the BOM site, know what the temp is and if I'm about to be rained on

FlightControl/Galcon/FieldRunners: Simple games that are so damn addictive, I feel like there's not such thing as boring time anymore. I can order my chinese take away and it's ready so fast I feel almost sad to put the phone away ;)

Tethering: (Again 3.0) I frequently visit clients, and having to plug into their network is generally a form-filled nightmare. Now I just whip out my iPhone, plug it into my laptop and hit internet sharing. Boom 3G all the way.

Calendar: I have my google and work calendar (both caldav, and again 3.0 feature) updated in real time on my phone. With previous phones (moto, sony ericsson, nokia) I had incredible trouble even trying to get a decent read only version of 1 calendar on there, never mind 2!

MasterJaxx
22nd May 2009, 01:23 PM
Tethering: (Again 3.0) I frequently visit clients, and having to plug into their network is generally a form-filled nightmare. Now I just whip out my iPhone, plug it into my laptop and hit internet sharing. Boom 3G all the way.

Tell me more about this tethering, Ive been trying to get my Iphone3G to do this for quite a while now unsuccessfully. There must be some additional program needed which i do not have or some technical knowhow which I lack.

Exocet
22nd May 2009, 01:27 PM
It will come in version 3.0

rustyshelf
22nd May 2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah sorry, forgot to say that I'm an iPhone developer, so I have access to the Beta version of 3.0. The real deal should come out in a month or two, then everybody will have it :)

MasterJaxx
22nd May 2009, 01:31 PM
Is version 3.0 an update that all 3Gs will be offered online or is it exclusive to a newer Iphone version that must be purchased?

rustyshelf
22nd May 2009, 01:32 PM
Is version 3.0 an update that all 3Gs will be offered online or is it exclusive to a newer Iphone version that must be purchased?

It will be free for all iPhones, including the 1st Gen ones that never officially came out in Australia. Tethering & MMS will only work with the iPhone 3G though.

MasterJaxx
22nd May 2009, 01:42 PM
Since it will be comeing out online, the date of distribution should be fairly even all across north america if not the world. Can you provide the proposed release date or a close approximation. I ask because I currently have a land line, but after july I will be living out of a laptop while on the move. It would be so much more convenient if 3.0 was released before the end of June.

cowgz
22nd May 2009, 01:44 PM
Shazam.

Sure, the iPhone is the best PDA/phone/MP3 player I've ever used, but Shazam is the app that has truly blown me away time after time.

+1

Shazam still freaks me out.

rustyshelf
22nd May 2009, 01:46 PM
Since it will be comeing out online, the date of distribution should be fairly even all across north america if not the world. Can you provide the proposed release date or a close approximation. I ask because I currently have a land line, but after july I will be living out of a laptop while on the move. It would be so much more convenient if 3.0 was released before the end of June.

Yeah I'll put in a call to Steve and let him know that you need it by then. He'll crack the whip and explain to his team that there's this guy in Australia...*ok enough sarcasm*

Perhaps you didn't notice, but I'm a developer who makes iPhone applications, I don't actually work for Apple. If there's one thing I can tell you about Apple it's that they don't tell anyone anything. So I have no idea when it's going to be released, Steve Jobs' wife probably doesn't even know. That's how they roll ;)

Edit: To make it clear my estimation is in the next few months. Apple have only given a period of time, not a date.

MasterJaxx
22nd May 2009, 01:50 PM
Nice bit with the sarcasm there, I had to reread my post to make sure i didnt say anything that could be accidentaly missinterpreted as an attempt to get them to speed it up. I just thaught since you had an early release because of connections that your connections might have clued you in on the wider 3.0 release date aswell.

It sucks that you dont know, but its still nice to know that its comeing.

Exocet
22nd May 2009, 01:52 PM
Its believed that it will be announced at the World Wide Developers Conference, June 8-12.

grfxninja
22nd May 2009, 02:18 PM
Its believed that it will be announced at the World Wide Developers Conference, June 8-12.

Just to clarify for MasterJaxx, Announced doesn't mean Released ;)
though anything is possible with Apple

rustyshelf
22nd May 2009, 02:21 PM
bottom line is that no one really knows, but most people expect it soon-ish. I wasn't trying to be rude, just funny ;)

DaveOZ
22nd May 2009, 03:02 PM
The phone! Blows me away that it actually works so well.

morn
22nd May 2009, 03:19 PM
MobileSafari.
Great to have a web browser with you at all times. Can post on forums. ;) Also look up anything, check prices while at the mall, google something you're looking at in the museum, find numbers in whitepages, check who's in a movie while you're in the cinema and order the soundtrack too. ;)

LithgowLights
23rd May 2009, 04:32 PM
check who's in a movie while you're in the cinema and order the soundtrack too. ;)

Nah the screen was too bright for that whan I tried it in the Startrek Movie - it upset my son and when I looked, it did look like I have the ushers torch pointed in my face lol

morn
23rd May 2009, 10:23 PM
Settings>brightness
:p

LithgowLights
24th May 2009, 10:31 AM
Settings>brightness
:p

I was busy watching the movie lol