PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G rapidly drained battery

Reubania
17th April 2009, 05:42 PM
Has anyone had this done to their iPhone?

I've had NO battery problems since launch day 2008. I normally use it intensively during the day for emails, Facebook and calls. Maybe a quarter of the battery would be used.

I normally charge it when I get home for a few hours and then take it off during the night. By morning, hardly a decrease in the battery meter.

This morning, as I was about to leave for work, I had noticed a quarter battery used. I kicked myself as I could have charged it during the morning, but found it odd that it should be that low.

Throughout the day, the battery rapidly decreased till it died by the late afternoon. I didn't even use it much - only to check the time.

Could it be a battery problem? Or a once off incident?

Mac Ram
17th April 2009, 05:46 PM
I have had a similar "incident" once. Battery dis-charged itself rapidly over half a day.

I re-booted the phone and all has been well since. Buggered if I know what caused it though.

iCameron
17th April 2009, 08:16 PM
Ive had this exact same problem as well

Used my phone through the day... Then at night i had ATLEAST 30%...

I wake up in the morning... 30%, and then listen to some music... 0% within minutes..

I dont know what it is... but it's only happened once and i may return my phone.. as it has dust underneath the glass... (Sure, it's minor but it's apple, and if im going to pay a hell of alot of money i expect perfection!)

chrisede
17th April 2009, 09:19 PM
The only time my battery does anything like that is when it's set to check for emails every "whenever". Or MobileMe is setup, etc etc.

So I disabled that. I check my emails all the time anyway, much better battery life.

Joey1983
17th April 2009, 10:07 PM
The only time my battery drains quickly is when 3G is on.
Literally cuts my battery life in half, if not more when left on.

jack112006
17th April 2009, 10:17 PM
This happened once when I was in Sydney - as soon as i entered the city & and left the city the difference in battery life was noticeable. Wi-Fi checking??

Rant
17th April 2009, 11:09 PM
I had a fast drain day this week - but I was using a lot more 3G email and Skype than I normally do.

iPhone has some really funny behaviours. Have you ever noticed, sometimes it gets really hot for no apparent reason? Even if you've got good 3G and good wi-fi signal and BlueToot turned off?

Some days the battery lasts, some days it just drains away. I don't know if it's the phone calling something home to Apple or weird mobile phone network behaviour (Optus is going through a 'no service' and 'network lost' phase everywhere I go at the moment - in Brisbane & further north). GPS should only be used when you ask for it, right?

I agree with the reboot suggestion. Once a day can't hurt, especially if you have strange things happening. iPhones do a LOT of stuff and they don't really have much memory (512 MB I think) and from what I can gather, Apple is really mean about RAM availability for 3rd party apps, so a reboot is probably a good precaution, especially if you're using 'other' apps a lot.

Also, I just plug the thing in overnight, every night, so there's absolutely no question about a full charge. That way if the phone/network wants to do wanky stuff, it can do it while you're sleeping, not on your valuable awake time. Run the battery flat once a week (dead flat) if you're worried about battery cycling/life.

Either that or the problem will go away just as mysteriously.

There's been no suggestion of batteries lasting only a year (3G) or even 2 years (Original) anywhere in the world, so I think we can rule out battery life issues.

Reubania
18th April 2009, 12:05 AM
How interesting. Well, I haven't changed my behaviour. ALWAYS on 3G, always looking for Wifi, don't have Push, so nothing running in the background.

I had to do a quick charge when I got home (as I was going out tonight). So it was prob only 1/2 to 1/4 charged within 30 mins. Had to take it off and go out. By the time I arrived back from dinner, a good 6 hours later, it's pretty much on red with 10%. And all I've done was just look at the time and showed some photos to my friends.

I'm gonna leave it on charge overnight (which I've never done before), get up early before work, reboot it and see what happens. I really need it to last all day.

LithgowLights
18th April 2009, 11:21 AM
I had it once drain the battery quickly. It was not jailbroken at the time, but I believe what happened was the location services started the GPS and it never turned off. When the GPS is in use the phone gets warm, and when this happened the phone was also pretty warm. A reboot fixed it & it's never played up since.

Reubania
18th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Well, I left on charge overnight and then when I woke up, took it off charge, turned it off, then waited for a few minutes before turning it back on. It's been fine today. Strange.

LithgowLights
18th April 2009, 06:12 PM
I have always considered that PC's (and Macs) used day in & day out occasionally need a reboot, usually due to additional programs not behaving as they should, and locking memory, or causing excessing CPU usage etc, not the core OS misbehaving.

I might reboot my PC every 6 months (It never gets turned off), and since the iPhone is probably more powerful than early PC's, then it probably needs the occasional reboot too. I have had Nokia and LG phones that also neded a restart every few months, so rebooting the iPhone every month or so is no big deal in my opinion

Reubania
19th April 2009, 11:10 PM
Well, it's back to normal. And yeah, I don't reboot my Macbook Air. I should discharge the battery and then fully charge it. I haven't done that in a while.

mitty
20th April 2009, 10:01 AM
Maybe some app you've recently purchased is doing dodgy things even when not running, it's possible? You're not jailbroken are you?

I try and reboot both my iphone and Macbook at least once a week, and even let them get close to flat once a week if possible. I know Lithium Ion Batteries aren't meant to have a memory, but I think they do, it just takes longer to kick in than the old nicads. A complete discharge/charge cycle every now and again should be enough to keep it at bay.

Reubania
20th April 2009, 05:24 PM
Nah, no dodgy apps and no, not jailbroken. It's working fine now. Just never had that happen before, and yeah, really needed the phone as I was meeting up with mates in the city.

Keving
20th April 2009, 05:26 PM
I can't even leave mine on overnight unless its in air-plane mode - my mobileme push account kills it pretty much overnight.

Goes from 100% down to about 35% sitting doing nothing, but in airplane mode it drops maybe 1% at most.

Same goes with during the day.. battery doesn't last as long as i'd like it to, sadly.. Push is a killer, same goes for 3G. I just keep Wi-Fi off these days unless i'm updating something on it.

Tom125
20th April 2009, 05:35 PM
Yup. Happens to me once in a while. Did it get hot too? Check your data usage with your telco... it seems to get stuck in some infinite loop.

My story here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/49138-boiling-hot-iphone-chews-up-60mb-2-hours.html

Reubania
20th April 2009, 05:40 PM
Cheers. I don't remember it getting hot. And I will have to check my data usage...I really did think that there was something running the background, eating up data and battery...