PDA

View Full Version : Flash Movies Run Slow In Safari And Firefox

daOutlawz
4th June 2005, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, I have a big problem, wondering if anyone knows a possible fix or something maybe I can enable.

Flash movies run extremely slow on my PB G4 1.33/768MB RAM/64MB GeForce FX/OSX Panther 10.3.9.

I originally thought it was just Safari, but I tried the same movie in Firefox and it actually ran slower. And generally all flash movies, or flash based websites run much slower then my older Acer Travelmate 360 notebook or my Desktop PC.

It wouldn't really bother me, but because I'm a web designer predominately developing in flash, its a big concern, and a big problem.

Is there something that I can do to fix this problem?

mvjs
4th June 2005, 05:23 PM
1. What Computer are you running these movies on?
2. Check the Quicktime/Flash settings in System Prefs. Set it to your connection speed.
3. Re-install Macromedia Flash

marc
4th June 2005, 05:25 PM
Have you looked at another mac running Safari/Firefox? Is it something that's just like that on OS X?

daOutlawz
4th June 2005, 05:29 PM
lol michaelvjsmyth, did you read my post properly?

PB G4 1.33

I just tried the quicktime settings in System Prefs and it didn't effect it. But I don't have flash settings there.

mvjs
4th June 2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry, Well I can't suggest anything else

daOutlawz
4th June 2005, 05:41 PM
I just reinstalled flash, didn't change.. :(

Although reinstalling it did fix Firefox, now both Firefox and Safari run at the same speed. Still slow though.

This is the site I am using to test it out, everything should be smooth.

http://www.in-senso.com/

Also my site doesn't run that smooth either, and it should, it was designed with 60fps.

http://www.mrpsolutions.com.au/

mvjs
4th June 2005, 05:57 PM
Its very smooth for me in firefox :) on the PC
I use Bigpond Broadband Cable
What do you use?
Have you tried on another computer on the same internet conection?

uncyherb
4th June 2005, 06:14 PM
Almost every flash swf I've ever cross-platform tested runs significantly slower on a 'like' mac compared to a PC (ie: my current ibook g4 1.2 ghz vs older XP1800 AMD based PC I have sitting next to me... not a perfect comparision, but pretty close - the iBook runs big swf's [such as games] at about 2/3rds-3/4qtrs of the PC)

Why?

I wish I knew! But this has been an issue for years now!

For a good example (if you have both a PC and a Apple handy) visit www.yetisports.org and run some of the games on both machines and give your impression of the speed of each...

mvjs
4th June 2005, 07:00 PM
My guess it that flash was origionally built for PC, then a Mac version came out *trying* to emulate their PC version. I'm problly wrong, just correct me :)

mvjs
4th June 2005, 07:01 PM
Sorry, after a little bit of research, I've just proved my theory wrong

kit
4th June 2005, 07:10 PM
Flash is notoriously slow on Macs in comparison to PCs.

It's always been like that, and it will probably always be like that (although the recent Adobe/Macromedia merger could help us).

It's one of the most significant reasons why I think Flash is the devil.

On-Site-Tec
4th June 2005, 08:28 PM
Safari will slow down the frame rate if the window is not in focus, but quite often for no reason, flash animations are set to "Low Quality" for some reason, and are all jaggy. I also have a PowerBook with the same specs, and on a Cable internet connection, so no problems there.

Sorry was no help. but your not alone :P

Matt.

Mohawk
4th June 2005, 09:20 PM
My ibook 1.2, 768MB has the exact same problem.
But I seem to remember that it was fine before I installed 10.3.9 so I think that might be whats causing the problem, does anyone know how I could revert back to 10.3.8? because the installer wont let me. (my mac was faster back then aswell)

daOutlawz
5th June 2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys, Mohawk, I've also noticed my PB running slower on 10.3.9, probably more bloated, slower all round, not just flash movies.

My internet connection is ADSL 1.5Mbps, but connection is not the issue here. Flash movies load, then play, connection doesn't play a part, unless the movie isn't coded correctly, i.e without a proper loader.

My desktop PC is an Athlon XP 2600+/768MB RAM/64MB Geforce 4 MX440.
My other laptop PC is an Acer Travelmate P3 1.3Ghz/256Mb Ram/Intel Crap Graphics card.

They both run flash movies faster then my PB.

I have also noticed that if I leave a flash based website open for a long time 30mins+, my RAM gets eaten up, just keeps getting lower and lower, and also my PB starts to get extremely hot. So I think this is more then an issue, its a problem.

I am trying to find an 'independent' flash player for the mac (ie a program which runs .swf files without the help of a browser) to see if the problem lies in the browser or OSX. I have an independent flash player on my PC which always runs my flash movies at their rated FPS, whenever I embed them into a html page, they always run a little slower, but thats normal. No where near as slow as Mac.

I havn't got Flash developer installed on my Mac, so if anyone has it and can test out some .swf files to see if they still run slow, that would be great.

geektechnu
5th June 2005, 09:24 AM
it was designed with 60fps.
Whoa - isn't that a little bit of overkill? Most people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. In fact, a lot of the best Flash work I've seen sticks to around 15fps.

Sure 60fps is smoother if the computer is fast enough to display them, but if it isn't then you're pretty much just asking the computer to do 2 - 4 times as much work.

Kildare
5th June 2005, 09:47 AM
Both those sites seem to run fine on my 12" iBook.
Running 10.4.1 though.

zbaron
5th June 2005, 11:21 AM
Just noticed that in System Preferences -> QuickTime -> Advanced -> MIME Settings ...

That QuickTime can handle Flash media. Personally, I could not tell if there was any difference after enabling this, but its possible that QuickTime might handle flash better than the Flash plugin does.

Squozen
5th June 2005, 11:41 AM
oops!

daOutlawz
5th June 2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by geektechnu@Jun 5 2005, 09:24 AM
Whoa - isn't that a little bit of overkill? Most people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. In fact, a lot of the best Flash work I've seen sticks to around 15fps.

Sure 60fps is smoother if the computer is fast enough to display them, but if it isn't then you're pretty much just asking the computer to do 2 - 4 times as much work.
Actually alot of pro flash work is based above 40fps, most pro flash developers use around 90fps. Using that much ensures smootheness, but as you said, requires a little more computer power. Using 90fps in flash is not the same as using 90fps in a movie, flash movies run similar to games, the more fps, the better it looks, but at the same time requires better hardware specs.
I can't imagine any movie looking good and professional at 15fps, it would be completely choppy, thats just like saying you prefer playing games at 15fps, but 15fps would obviously work on any computer, doesn't actually mean it looks good, and as we know, flash is all about the looks.
Visit some developer forums and you will see that majority of developers use 40fps+, and to the ones that don't (who always post their flash movies for advice to make it look better), it's always advised to them to bump up the fps first.

Check out these award sites, and you will see that none of the sites listed have fps less then 40.

http://www.dopeawards.com/
http://fcukstar.com/

daOutlawz
5th June 2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Kildare@Jun 5 2005, 09:47 AM
Both those sites seem to run fine on my 12" iBook.
Running 10.4.1 though.
Thanks for that, I wouldn't mind knowing what others experience is with Tiger.

If flash movies run like they are suppose to in Tiger, I might upgrade.

daOutlawz
5th June 2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by zbaron@Jun 5 2005, 11:21 AM
Just noticed that in System Preferences -> QuickTime -> Advanced -> MIME Settings ...

That QuickTime can handle Flash media. Personally, I could not tell if there was any difference after enabling this, but its possible that QuickTime might handle flash better than the Flash plugin does.
Just tried it, didn't make any difference.

Also, Quicktime won't even open .swf files, even though it claims to be able to handle them... :huh:

Mohawk
5th June 2005, 10:57 PM
hey, daOutlawz,
I was wondering if after you installed 10.3.9 safari would crash when you tried to close a window. Because that was one of tha major problems I had when I updated, so I had to download and reinstall Safari 1.2

I'm thinking that I might do a OSX restore from the install DVD, and then only update to 10.3.8, just so I can get some speed back into my mac, and with any luck, it might fix the flash problem too.

daOutlawz
6th June 2005, 01:05 AM
Nah, i didnt get that problem, but I'm worried about going back to 10.3.8, mostly for security updates?

marc
6th June 2005, 09:44 AM
daOutlawz :: 90fps is totally ridiculous. LCD displays work differently, but most computer CRT displays can't refresh anywhere near 90fps. And if the display isn't refreshing as fast or faster than the animation, then the frames are simply being dropped (ie. not even shown).

Just so you know:

Film = 24fps
PAL TV = 25fps
NTSC TV = 30fps

Whoever told you 90fps was a good idea had only one hand on the steering wheel.