PDA

View Full Version : How to get an iphone from the UK to work here?

NORMANDY
15th April 2009, 09:27 AM
I have a work colleague who has just returned from the UK, he has an iphone, he has put a OPtus sim in it and it works ok. It appears to be jail-broken, as when ever he tries to put the apple firmware on it, it says "NOT ORIGINAL SIM" can not install, or something like that. How can he put the original firmware back in place and get it on Optus network here?

Lutze
15th April 2009, 10:11 AM
Is it a 3G or first gen iPhone?

My 1st gen from the US works without any difficulties what-so-ever. I've had to do nothing and it works with any SIM.

NORMANDY
15th April 2009, 08:09 PM
its a 3G iphone.....

decryption
26th April 2009, 02:41 PM
It's SIM locked - which means you have two options. Contact the provider the phone came from in the UK and ask them to unlock it (by far the best option).

Or jailbreak the iPhone and run yellowsn0w: Dev-Team Blog - Don't eat yellowsn0w! (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/67797811/dont-eat-yellowsn0w)

Trabb
27th April 2009, 05:37 AM
You can't get them unlocked through the carrier here in the UK, so it'll have to be a jailbreak+yellowsn0w job I think.

NORMANDY
27th April 2009, 05:27 PM
It's SIM locked - which means you have two options. Contact the provider the phone came from in the UK and ask them to unlock it (by far the best option).

Or jailbreak the iPhone and run yellowsn0w: Dev-Team Blog - Don't eat yellowsn0w! (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/67797811/dont-eat-yellowsn0w)

he is going to get APPLE to unlock it. failing that he is looking at some sort of sim faker device.

NORMANDY
2nd May 2009, 01:50 PM
well here is an update, apple wouldnt do it stating "the hardware in the uk phones is different" and they cant unlock it.... sounds like BS to me!

dekco
2nd May 2009, 03:44 PM
gotta agree with you on that mate! Tho why dont you ask your british provider to unlock it for you? Orange,O2,Voda, etc. Im sure they will be unable to give you an unlock code of some sort.