PDA

View Full Version : Safari download problems

theade
15th April 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm having problems downloading files with Safari. When I click on links to .dmg files. (it happens on some other types of files too) It tries to load it in the browser and gives an error. No download happens. I think it's mime type handler mapping must be screwed, but there's no way to fix that in Safari or system prefs.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? I've tried removing the safari plist.

This is driving me nuts! :mad:

I'd be grateful if someone could explain what caused this too.

Velociraptors
15th April 2009, 05:29 AM
I'm having problems downloading files with Safari. When I click on links to .dmg files. (it happens on some other types of files too) It tries to load it in the browser and gives an error. No download happens. I think it's mime type handler mapping must be screwed, but there's no way to fix that in Safari or system prefs.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? I've tried removing the safari plist.

This is driving me nuts! :mad:

I'd be grateful if someone could explain what caused this too.

Is it all .dmgs on all servers? if it is, not sure what could cause the issue, usually it's a webserver not configured to send the file as something non-displayable, but you might get somewhere if you installed Download RCDefaultApp for Mac - Pref pane sets default application for file types. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618) and took a look for anything odd related to .dmgs

theade
15th April 2009, 12:27 PM
It seems to affect dmgs from any servers including RCDefaltApp above. The dmg from above link seems to have mime type of application/octet-stream which uses to the Text Editor application according to RCDefaultApp.

the dmg extension has a default application of DiskImageMounter.

Any ideas?

ClockWork
15th April 2009, 01:21 PM
And does this happen with Firefox (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html) also - just as a test?

That is - if you "can" download Firefox, if you don't have it.
Are you using Safari 4 Beta?

Always worth having more than one browser on board.

AddIt: What is the error that Safari shows?

theade
15th April 2009, 06:02 PM
firefox doesn't have any problems downloading at all.

I'm using Safari 4 beta.

As an example, when going to the url 'http://www.rubicode.com/Downloads/RCDefaultApp-2.0.1.X.dmg', the status bar at the bottom says 'Failed to open page (see Activity window for details)'

The status column in the activity window has a partial error message 'Operation could not be completed. (WebKitErrorDo'. Remainder the error is obscured as I can't change the width of the column.

ClockWork
15th April 2009, 07:02 PM
I have a nasty suspicion that this problem has no current solution... other than to switch browsers.

I currently use Firefox. I have used Safari and Camino a great deal in the past, yet both failed me often in many situations, and as I don't care what works (as long as it does work), swapped over to Firefox and stayed there.

theade
15th April 2009, 07:28 PM
are you attributing the problem to webkit? or safari?

i'm using firefox now, but it's slower than safari and hangs often which is pretty annoying.

ClockWork
15th April 2009, 07:36 PM
Honestly... I don't know... and there's sweet fa support on the problem, yet it goes back to Safari 2.0 - and I suspect everyone who has viewed this thread is thinking: I don't know either.

In the best of worlds - someone knows - search google - or maybe some amazing person will drop in here and say, "Shit man! That's dead easy! All you do is etc etc etc..."

Velociraptors is one uber smart dinosaur... yet she has not responded... which isn't a good sign.

I suppose if it was me (which it isn't) and I was dead set on using Safari again, I'd Trash and delete every bit of it, and then reinstall Safari 3.2.1.

theade
16th April 2009, 02:24 AM
I didn't realize this was a known problem :(

Haven't read about anyone else with the same problem using google. Perhaps i'm using the wrong search terms.

Ta for your help though. Will keep looking.

ClockWork
17th April 2009, 01:55 PM
Another possibility:

Try switching your current Account, with a Test Account, in System Preferences -> Accounts - add a new Test Account in there, give it full Administrator Privileges, no Password, log out of your current Account and then log into the Test Account: go into Safari there, and see if the same download error occurs.

Try this first.

My solution would be to:

Drag the Safari.app to the Trash.
Drag the Safari Library folder to the Trash - found in: Macintosh HD -> Users folder -> homefolder -> Library folder - locate and trash: Safari Library folder.
Drag the Safari .plist file to the Trash - found in: Macintosh HD -> Users folder -> homefolder -> Library folder -> Preferences folder - locate and trash: com.apple.Safari.plist

And then, open Firefox and download: Safari 3.2.1 (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Safari_3_2_1_for_Leopard) for Leopard - or if you're on Tiger: Safari 3.2.1 for Tiger (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Safari_3_2_1_for_Tiger).

theade
18th April 2009, 03:05 AM
Good ideas Clockwork, but no dice. There's no difference with test account.

I deleted Safari 4 but it won't allow me to install 3.2.1 as it still thinks there's a new version already installed. Know any way to get around this?

ClockWork
18th April 2009, 06:30 AM
Download Safari 4. When you open its .dmg, there should also be an Uninstaller in there - named: Safari4.0BetaUninstall.pkg

Double-click to run this, to totally delete Safari 4, and try installing Safari 3.2.1 again.

PS: Are you running Tiger or Leopard, and if so, which version of either?
You can find out by clicking the top-left Apple Menu and scrolling down to: About This Mac.

Under the glassy Apple logo and the big bold Mac OS X heading, you will see the Version number.

It's worth having all the facts in.

Buster
22nd September 2009, 05:41 AM
Hello!
I have the same problem regarding Safari. I have also tested with a new user account and it made no difference, sadly. So when ever i want to download anything i have to open up Firefox to do this.

So if anyone would have a solution to this problem that would be nice.

Best regards

robertswier
26th October 2009, 03:40 PM
I am experiencing the same problem. Web links that point to a file intended for download, such as .zip, .torrent, .dmg, etc instead loaded by Safari 4 as webpages. Of course, nothing is displayed. Once Safari has treated the file as a webpage, there is no way to save it. Safari will try to save it as a web archive, and then will spit out an error. Sometimes clicking "save as" from the link will work, but not always. When that doesn't work, there seems to be no choice but to use Firefox.

But that seems stupid: "I have to open another browser because Apple's newest browser is incapable of downloading this stupid file"

Is there really not more alarm or discussion about this?

ttudor
4th November 2009, 03:52 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Very frustrating.

TexArmstrong
31st December 2009, 07:07 AM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I recently came across the same problem with Safari not downloading files correctly (in my case, .DMG and .ZIP). The problem came from a Firefox extension I had installed called iGetter. Once I shut down Safari and un-installed iGetter, Safari was downloading files correctly again.

It's possible that iGetter (or other 3rd party download accelerators) are to blame for the problem here.

Casey
17th February 2010, 09:38 AM
It's possible that iGetter (or other 3rd party download accelerators) are to blame for the problem here.

Yeah, I can confirm. I just started experiencing this issue with virtually any file that's not an image. I removed the Folx plugin from both my /Library/Internet Plugins and ~/Library/Internet Plugins folders, and Safari now downloads correctly.

So, applications like Folx and iGetter have internet plugins that may cause issues downloading files in Safari 4. Weird.