PDA

View Full Version : Outright telstra Iphone

sid
15th April 2009, 12:05 AM
just about to purchase an iphone, as the titled said it was purchased outright from telstra still sealed. my question is whether the phone is locked/unlock? if it locked how hard to unlock it, is there any fee ?

thank you:laugh:

dotnet
15th April 2009, 01:21 AM
I believe it is unlocked, but may lock itself to the carrier of first SIM card you put in during initial setup. But I'm not entirely sure about that, actually I'd hope it wouldn't - let me know if you find out.

Cheers
Steffen.

Beau
15th April 2009, 02:38 AM
Outright from Telstra = locked to Telstra. None of this locked to first SIM inserted bullshit - All the iPhones assigned to Telstra are locked to Telstra by their IMEI.

Unlocking is $150, but people have had success sweet talking the person on the other end to do it for free.

Ring 1800iPhone to unlock, or any other questions re: Telstra and the iPhone.

dotnet
15th April 2009, 03:06 AM
Outright from Telstra = locked to Telstra. None of this locked to first SIM inserted bullshit - All the iPhones assigned to Telstra are locked to Telstra by their IMEI.

When did that start? I know that initially you could sneak a virgin iPhone out of the T-life store. Then again, initially unlocking was free...

Cheers
Steffen.

mitty
15th April 2009, 07:12 AM
^that was never the case. All phones are locked by imei, end of story. unlocking was also never free, it's just nobody knew what the fee would be when it got released.

Chief911
15th April 2009, 12:03 PM
yeah its the same for optus etc.... $150 to unlock, my mate is waiting for the update of yellowsnow (a network unlock program) but its taking a fair while ....dont know when they will have the new version out..anyone know..???

Brett05
15th April 2009, 09:40 PM
I bought my IPhone as a pre paid phone (didn't bother activating the pre paid sim) I used my current $49 cap sim instead. 6 months have passed and I phone Optus last Wednesday to have it unlocked. They asked for the IMEI and the next day I had this sent to me. Got home and did the ITune thingy....it's now unlocked. I have a spare 3 Sim still active and tried it out and all is good, just need to have the 3 Sim changed to the $49 IPhone sim cap

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5236/img0001rlj.png

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1601/unlockediphone.jpg

i have since sent my iphone to apple for replacement for a wi-fi issue. They assure me it will be unlocked when the replacement/refurb arrives back to me