PDA

View Full Version : Is now the right time for Macbook purchase?

SoVeReIgN
14th April 2009, 06:05 PM
Can get 1 Apple laptop per year fairly cheaply through work salary sacrificing and company discounts etc.

Just wondering whether now is the right time to buy or not?

Need to buy/order before July 1.

What do we think about the 9600M GT in the Pro? I'd like to play games but I doubt it could handle anything half decently at 1920x1200?

~Coxy
14th April 2009, 06:30 PM
For games, I agree the 9600 is a bit long in the tooth as you said. I doubt there will be a better option in a laptop before July though.

The Soopa Villainz
14th April 2009, 06:58 PM
I doubt we will see any better graphics in the macbook line for another few years. I'm basing that on how long the old macbooks went with out a graphics update.

black painter
14th April 2009, 07:05 PM
Go and get it. Its a great computer, the nvidia card is great for most games.

NeoRicen
14th April 2009, 07:08 PM
The 9600 will play games fine, not always on high detail or at 1920x1200, but you'll be able to play them

Even still, if the Pro is updated any time soon, the GPU probably won't be updated, instead probably just a CPU/HDD bump.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros tend to be updated on a November>May>November>May schedule, however recent practices suggest Apple is moving to yearly updates, and there are no signs an update is imminent.

I say buy.

huntjd
14th April 2009, 07:15 PM
the way i see it is if you want a gaming rid, buy a specced up imac. if you want a laptop buy an macbook. although once snow leopard comes out the prospect of using the GPU for high end processing will be very appealing.

personally i would buy now, but i have a 2.4 unibody macbook and its great. try and get one refurb or on edu disc if you can and boot the ram up with the extra money. my MB powers a 24" full hd benq with next to no problems at all so is great while at home. but yeah thats just my two cents.

iCarllovesapple
14th April 2009, 07:37 PM
If I were you I'd buy. I'd get the 2.4hz MBP (With the 250GB HD), but I'd customize the CPU. I'd change it to 2.53+++. The reason I say not to choose the 2.53ghz MBP as standard is because you may not need the extra 256MB of graphic card speed, and your paying a couple of hundred for an extra 60Gb's of HD space. Just buy a new HD. you can get 320's for about $119 on Ebay.. They are also very easy to change!
Enjoy your new Mac! You'll love it! :-)

NeoRicen
14th April 2009, 07:46 PM
If I were you I'd buy. I'd get the 2.4hz MBP (With the 250GB HD), but I'd customize the CPU. I'd change it to 2.53+++. The reason I say not to choose the 2.53ghz MBP as standard is because you may not need the extra 256MB of graphic card speed, and your paying a couple of hundred for an extra 60Gb's of HD space. Just buy a new HD. you can get 320's for about $119 on Ebay.. They are also very easy to change!
Enjoy your new Mac! You'll love it! :-)
You can't customise the CPU on the 2.4, the 2.53 is now 2.66, and can be customised to 2.93, the extra 256MB of GPU is good for games, the 2.66 also comes standard with 4GB RAM, which it would cost more to have on the 2.4.

halledise
14th April 2009, 08:48 PM
Can get 1 Apple laptop per year fairly cheaply through work salary sacrificing and company discounts etc.

Just wondering whether now is the right time to buy or not?

Need to buy/order before July 1.

What do we think about the 9600M GT in the Pro? I'd like to play games but I doubt it could handle anything half decently at 1920x1200?

minor revisions due reasonably soon with a major rev of MB and MBPro around October-ish based on past experience :cool:

AnthoMac
14th April 2009, 10:04 PM
The best time, it seems, depends on your need for a new MacBook. Since you're giving yourself a dead line of July I think the best time which suits you would be now. There has been some macbooks and macbook pros lying around the refurb store from time to time. if you can wait till possibly october or november the mobile version of the architecture used in the macpros (Nehalems) may possibly come out for the macbook pros; waiting is usually better.

DeKa
14th April 2009, 10:14 PM

I don't want to ruin your plan... but are you really sure, and have you had independent financial advice on this? The Rudd Government changed the salary sacrificing legislation around laptops specifically in 2008.
Check this out: Did Kevin Rudd kill laptop salary sacrifice? (http://apcmag.com/did_kevin_rudd_kill_laptop_salary_sacrifice.htm)

You may be able to obtain an Employee Purchase Plan (between 6-8% off laptops for example) but I highly doubt you will be able to obtain a salary sacrifice arrangement on a laptop now.

The only exception I can think of is if you work in a Not For Profit or some government organisations where you have an FBT cap per year and the laptop fits within that cap.

SoVeReIgN
15th April 2009, 09:29 AM
I don't want to ruin your plan... but are you really sure, and have you had independent financial advice on this? The Rudd Government changed the salary sacrificing legislation around laptops specifically in 2008.
Check this out: Did Kevin Rudd kill laptop salary sacrifice? (http://apcmag.com/did_kevin_rudd_kill_laptop_salary_sacrifice.htm)

You may be able to obtain an Employee Purchase Plan (between 6-8% off laptops for example) but I highly doubt you will be able to obtain a salary sacrifice arrangement on a laptop now.

The only exception I can think of is if you work in a Not For Profit or some government organisations where you have an FBT cap per year and the laptop fits within that cap.

It works out okay

~Coxy
15th April 2009, 10:53 AM
Considering the cost works out that cheap, I'd be tempted to just buy the 17" MBP, then sell it in a year for probably close to what you paid for it and buy another with the proceeds. Hopefully by then they will have a mobile Radeon 4 series or GTX level card.

dekco
15th April 2009, 11:31 AM
that is cheap, even if you sell the 17" MBP after a year, you could get more than what you paid for it

Wally
15th April 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm in the Apple store fiddling with one of the Aluminum MacBook's its so damn tempting.. (Except the fact there isn't any games on here to demo (or I shall check))