PDA

View Full Version : Constantly repairing disk permissions

GrahameR
13th April 2009, 11:45 PM
Hi, I had some minor problem and so did the only thing I know - repair disk permissions and checked the disk. Latter was okay but ...

there were a stack of permissions that needed repairing. For some reason I ran the permissions repair immediately after and it happened again. A third time, same result.

Is this something to worry about? I thought it was a sign something was wrong - but heck, I don't even know what 'permissions' are!

TIA,
Grahame

(This is a brand new white MacBook.)

Boney_Ahem
13th April 2009, 11:48 PM
Hi GranameR,

Are you running Leopard? Leopard Disc Utilities has been know to report issues that Apple officially report as nothing to worry about ...

GrahameR
13th April 2009, 11:50 PM
Hi, yes running Leopard.

How do you know what is serious and what isn't?

Cheers, Grahame

Boney_Ahem
14th April 2009, 01:47 AM
Well there's this from Apple ... can you post a screenie of your Disc Utility window and the permission repair report?

Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports issues with SUID files (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448)

MissionMan
14th April 2009, 09:36 AM
Hi, I had some minor problem and so did the only thing I know - repair disk permissions and checked the disk. Latter was okay but ...

there were a stack of permissions that needed repairing. For some reason I ran the permissions repair immediately after and it happened again. A third time, same result.

Is this something to worry about? I thought it was a sign something was wrong - but heck, I don't even know what 'permissions' are!

TIA,
Grahame

(This is a brand new white MacBook.)

Was it successful in repairing the permissions? Have you tried repairing the permissions in single user mode?

Mac Ram
14th April 2009, 11:34 AM
what was the minor problem you were trying to fix? Is it now solved? If yes, I would be inclined to leave permissions well alone.

takamine
14th April 2009, 04:56 PM
Could try booting from the Leopard install DVD and running disk utility from there. That's how I do my repairs. I notice a lot of issues with the iLife 09 permissions though but apparently that's normal.

GrahameR
15th April 2009, 12:04 AM
can you post a screenie of your Disc Utility window and the permission repair report?

Sorry but I've done it three times and each one is quite long - too long to post.

Was it successful in repairing the permissions? Have you tried repairing the permissions in single user mode?

Yes it was successful, but then doing it again I got another bunch ... and then again.

What is 'single user mode'?

what was the minor problem you were trying to fix? Is it now solved? If yes, I would be inclined to leave permissions well alone.

I had had some problems with iTunes not finding songs - they were there but iTunes couldn't find them when I was trying to burn some CDs. There was a process that enabled iTunes to find them, so that was okay, but as it had never happened before I thought I'd just check if there was a permissions problem.

My understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - is that the only checks, or repairs, are with Disk Utility. And again, I understand, that if the permissions are not right it is good to correct them.

My logic was that if I'd repaired them, and I ran the 'repair permissions' again then it should come up clean. But it didn't so I did it again. And again I thought it'd come up clean. But it didn't so I did it again. Etc
The way it was going I thought I'd just keep re-repairing them forever hence this post.

Cheers, Grahame

ClockWork
15th April 2009, 12:28 AM
Repairing Permissions will NOT fix your iTunes problem.

Suggest you leave Disk Permissions alone. It will often report back with problems which are of no consequence to the overall operation of your Mac.

Disk Utility will fix "some" thing - usually major things, like if you cannot start up properly, but it certainly won't fix ALL things.

If you want to invest in real diagnostic and repair tools, look into Disk Warrior (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html) and / or TechTool Pro (http://www.micromat.com/).

However, for minor problems, like unusual things happening in iTunes, I honestly wouldn't worry.

Often, there are other ways around such problems that have nothing to do with repair software, permissions, or something going wrong with your Apple Mac computer.

GrahameR
15th April 2009, 06:06 PM
ClockWork
Repairing Permissions will NOT fix your iTunes problem.

No I didn't use Repair Permissions to fix the iTunes problem - from memory there was some dialogue box that prompted me to do this and that e.g. the option of finding the song and by choosing it it was reconnected or whatever.

A typical message was -

iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FadeThroughBlackTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

- and there was stacks and stacks of them (each time). But if not fixing them is no big deal then I will ignore Repair Permissions in future if I have a glitch and just go to Verify Disk, and that alone.

Cheers, Grahame

Dare
18th April 2009, 02:25 PM
I've just stumbled across this thread, bit of a hijack - this is the same problem i just started having today - iWeb opens and crashes everytime. I repaired the permissions but when i verify after repair it still reports a heap of errors..i tried repairing from the boot cd with the same result...

these are just a few of the permissions..

Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/BlackAndWhiteEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/CubeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Any one had any luck resolving this?

roxercat
10th May 2009, 11:55 PM
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro and due to it not loading as fast as it should, realized I had this same problem with the permissions... a huge list of disk permissions would NOT repair after many many attempts. The store I purchased it from had all their techs look at it and suggested that it was "fine" and I shouldn't worry... BUT ultimately I contacted a Mac tech support person and they said this was a bug that should NOT be happening. Since it was within 30 days of purchase, they suggested I return it for another one. Interesting also is that another 17" Macbook Pro in the store was doing the same thing. But the Mac support assured me this should NOT be happening! Now I'm patiently waiting for a new unit to arrive... I don't have any answers how to fix it but you might need to speak with one of the Mac Techs to get the fix to this problem...