PDA

View Full Version : teacher/student discount on macs.

wolfie
13th April 2009, 04:26 PM
hi guys, ive got my sister over and we were browsing the apple website.

she asked me a question, and as im umfamiliar with the whole process, thought ill ask here.

whats to stop her ( or anyone ) from pretending to be a student and buy a mac online, pay for it online and have it delivered?

there surley be some sort of process to prove your a student?
This is in reg to the EDU discount.

dekco
13th April 2009, 04:28 PM
to the best of my knowledge, you will need proof of enrolment + student ID to get the educational price.

wolfie
13th April 2009, 04:30 PM
to the best of my knowledge, you will need proof of enrolment + student ID to get the educational price.

but if its bought online?
unless theres some proof that needs to be shown later on if you need to take it in to apple for a genius or warranty issue?

Sibelius
13th April 2009, 04:36 PM
I've bought online using the education store.

The first time you do it, you'll get an email or a phone call asking you to send in proof of enrollment (or, if you're a teacher/academic, proof of employment). After you send it in to Apple, they'll put it on file and, in future, all other orders using the education store online will go through instantaneously at the education-discounted price.

But you can't pretend -- Apple WILL require proof that you're entitled to the education discount.

wolfie
13th April 2009, 04:38 PM
thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense

MrJesseRoss
13th April 2009, 04:40 PM
I've bought online using the education store.

The first time you do it, you'll get an email or a phone call asking you to send in proof of enrollment (or, if you're a teacher/academic, proof of employment). After you send it in to Apple, they'll put it on file and, in future, all other orders using the education store online will go through instantaneously at the education-discounted price.

But you can't pretend -- Apple WILL require proof that you're entitled to the education discount.

When I bought my Macbook at the beginning of last year with the EDU discount, I wasn't contacted by Apple at all. I've never provided them with proof of being a student.

Sibelius
13th April 2009, 04:44 PM
When I bought my Macbook at the beginning of last year with the EDU discount, I wasn't contacted by Apple at all. I've never provided them with proof of being a student.

I had to provide them with proof of being a teacher, though! Maybe it's different for students and for teachers??

Or maybe Apple contacts SOME of the people using the EDU store at random, but not everyone??

Or maybe Apple has some sort of price limit -- they won't check with orders for below a certain price, but they'll check for larger orders?

All I can say is that they definitely contacted me, and wouldn't fill my order until I had provided proof.

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 04:54 PM
Bought multiple items through the educational online store, never once asked for proof of being a student. No phone call, letter, nada.

Goodbye
13th April 2009, 05:15 PM
I've made several purchases through the Edu store when I was a student, but never once got asked for proof.

LCGuy
13th April 2009, 05:31 PM
I bought my MacBook from the online edu store in November 2007...never heard a peep from Apple re: my eligibility. However, I wouldn't buy from there unless you are a student...if too many people abuse the system, and Apple finds out, they may lower or even take away the edu discounts.

melbmac
13th April 2009, 06:22 PM
Ive purchased three computers as a student now and have never been asked to prove it (I am/was a student at the time).

I have heard of people being asked though, and I tend to discourage people from abusing it (that's what JB are for, and yes, they will match student price as will a lot of other retailers).

Gio
13th April 2009, 08:59 PM
Im sure you get a "agree screen saying that you really are a student and thats it. I too am a teacher and asked to give my teacher number.

Beau
14th April 2009, 12:34 AM
High School Student, bought MacBook, iPod Touch, and several accessories/etc on separate occasions over the last two years. Haven't once been asked for proof. ;)

dekco
14th April 2009, 01:40 AM
my mates always get asked for student ID/proof of enrollment, i'm starting to believe they randomly check customers.