PDA

View Full Version : Is the differnce between Macbook Air rev a and rev b worth the expense?

aussiehoudini
12th April 2009, 07:24 PM
I've researched the differences but I'm wondering, in real world usage is it worth buying a new Rev B when a mint condition Rev A can be had for ~$1500? We're talking $1300 bucks here.

leon
12th April 2009, 07:28 PM
What are you planning on doing with it?
If your just going to be using Mail and Office 2008, then the difference is not worth it.
If your going to go online and watch vids, occasionally play a game or do any photography work on it, then get the Rev. B.

I'd just lurk around the refurb store and see if I could snag one there, such as this one.
Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB543X/A?mco=MjE0Njc4Ng)

lazydesi
12th April 2009, 07:39 PM
I've researched the differences but I'm wondering, in real world usage is it worth buying a new Rev B when a mint condition Rev A can be had for ~$1500? We're talking $1300 bucks here.

I am following Scottsdale posts from Macrumors regarding MBA (he own both models) and according to him MBA revB is far-way better than MBA revA

choy
13th April 2009, 12:35 AM
i agree with lazy desi. The wifey has a MBA rev A and it has overheating issues, and is significantly slower than my bro's MBA rev B. I would not personally recommend buying a REV A. Wait for a refurbed rev b

dekco
13th April 2009, 12:42 AM
depends on your final usage. if you are using it as a lite road warrior, then revA is ok. otherwise get rev B

DJY
13th April 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm very very happy with my Rev B!
Haven't used my MBP since I bought it!

I watch a lot of video files on the road, have several apps open at once when I'm working, and have never had any problems! I have seen a couple of people struggle with their Rev A's.

For the most part I do Office (word, excel, powerpoint), iLife (iPhoto, iTunes mostly) emails / iCal / Address Book, internet, download a range of things - whilst I'm working, Skype, and occasionally encode video files.

wolfie
13th April 2009, 11:58 AM
ive got the rev a AS MY MAIN computer.
i dont have any issues with it, but then again im a vry average user.

i use it to store photos from nights out/holidays
i use it to store music
i use it to surf the net and chat
i use it to watch videos when im on the plane somewhere.
i use it for mail

if thats all you use it for, its pretty capable computer, if you want to play games or do any intenstive work, i dont think the mac air is right.

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 04:41 PM
ive got the rev a AS MY MAIN computer.
i dont have any issues with it, but then again im a vry average user.

i use it to store photos from nights out/holidays
i use it to store music
i use it to surf the net and chat
i use it to watch videos when im on the plane somewhere.
i use it for mail

if thats all you use it for, its pretty capable computer, if you want to play games or do any intenstive work, i dont think the mac air is right.

Do you think it's possible the SSD makes a difference in your rev a?

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 04:45 PM
i agree with lazy desi. The wifey has a MBA rev A and it has overheating issues, and is significantly slower than my bro's MBA rev B. I would not personally recommend buying a REV A. Wait for a refurbed rev b
You know it's the overheating issues that worry me most. Also of late 1st Gen apple stuff has been flakey. The Rev B feels like a 2nd gen item to me.

I am sooo sick of the issues with my 1.3kg PC and completely over the 7+ minutes it takes to start up (anti virus blows!).

I have a <1kg machine for the real road warrior stuff so I am looking at something to replace my G4 12 inch around the house, with occasional travel. While it doesn't have tablet functionality and I'll miss Onenote, I feel like throwing the vista machine through the window most days.

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Is this a Rev B? Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB450X/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw)

I think the Rev A's only had shared graphics right?

dolbinau
13th April 2009, 04:55 PM
Is this a Rev B? Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB450X/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw)

This is Rev A (X3100), Rev B also has shared graphics but it is significantly faster (9400M)

wolfie
13th April 2009, 04:57 PM

thats a rev A
identical to mine

wolfie
13th April 2009, 05:02 PM
why are u so keen on a MBA if you already got a travel laptop?
me personally, i would put it and pay a little bit more and get a low end alum macbook.

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 05:10 PM
This is Rev A (X3100), Rev B also has shared graphics but it is significantly faster (9400M)

Ahhh, thanks, got it, Nvidia for Rev B.

aussiehoudini
13th April 2009, 05:13 PM
why are u so keen on a MBA if you already got a travel laptop?
me personally, i would put it and pay a little bit more and get a low end alum macbook.

It's a fair point but I'm an absolute weight fiend when it comes to laptops and I currently run a 700 gram UMPC, a 1.3kg convertible tablet which is great but runs Vista! The powerbook got retired but the 2.1kg's killed me :)

I occasionally need to travel with something that has better battery life than the 700 gram machine gives me, but I don'twant to lug a Macbook.

reemixx
13th April 2009, 06:38 PM
I've got a Rev A and never had a single problem with it. For me, the choice was easy; second hand Rev A, or nothing. There's no way in hell I would have spent the RRP on a brand new model, but second hand for $1500 - especially when it looks and performs like new - was one of the better decisions I've made when it comes to tech purchases.

I will add that the MBA's, even the Rev A's, do more than most people give them credit for. They just don't perform as fast as other models Apple offers. Whether you'll notice the lesser speed and performance depends entirely on what you plan to use it for. I use mine mostly for writing and general web surfing; obviously not CPU or graphics intensive activities, and therefore it doesn't feel any slower than my 2.4GHz iMac, even when doing some light to medium multitasking using apps related to those purposes.

If you're going to be using it for similar purposes, then the Rev A will be perfectly fine, and is a fantastic deal when bought second hand. If you're going to be using it for something that needs a little more power - such as gaming, video editing, or very heavy multitasking - I'd probably not recommend the MBA at all. As much as I love Apple and my MBA Rev A, a brand new MBA is ridiculously expensive and terrible value for money, in my opinion.

Reubania
13th April 2009, 07:50 PM
I agree with reemixx.

Having bought a mint condition Rev A, there was no choice. Being a rather average user, but having it as my main computer, I haven't had any problems with it. But that doesn't mean it's slowness bothers me.

The only qualm I have is the slower processing speeds. Sometimes it takes a while to go between tabs in Safari while I have Mail, iTunes streaming via AirTunes and other apps opened. I have noticed it can lag in graphics (movie/video viewing), but that's because I stream everything via an external HDD on my AEBS.

I would not recommend it for those who are heavy users, who need intensive graphics programming/editing or watch a lot of streaming movies. Just as reemixx has advised.

It is an adequate computer, but if want a fast, more graphics intensive computer, then the Rev B is the way to go. But prob get a refurbed or mint condition second hand one instead.

Not having used the Rev B, I really can't tell you which one is better, besides on the specs.

takamine
14th April 2009, 04:58 PM
I'd get it for the NVIDIA 9400M too. Much better than the X3100. Faster graphics = less chance to overheat I'm guessing.