PDA

View Full Version : Want to record a voicemail into my Mac, but have no clue how

Pepper
12th April 2009, 09:11 AM
I realize this may be the most basic of all requests, but I've been through all of the Mac help menus, and even some of the GarageBand tutorials, and have no idea how to do what I want.

I have a message on my cell phone that I want to keep forever, but my cell phone company erases saved messages automatically after 30 days (thanks, jerks!) Ideally, I don't really care about sound quality, as much as just capturing this message for eternity.

I know my iMac (OSX 10.5.6, Intel Core Duo) has a built-in microphone, and when I play the message and watch the screen, it shows that it's picking up the sound, but I cannot figure out how to record this and/or create an MP3 of it.

I'm truly sorry if I'm an idiot and this is the easiest thing in the world, but it's not obvious from where I'm sitting.

Thanks for any help and feedback you can provide. Snarky comments also welcome. I'll report back on my progress.

ClockWork
12th April 2009, 09:30 AM
As I don't know what kind of Mac or Mobile you have, the simplest way to do it, is to connect your mobile to your Mac by Bluetooth, so the Mac can see the mobile's Flash Drive.

The Flash Drive contains files within folders within folders, just like a computer, and it's then a case of digging around in those folders looking for recorded messages, and then dragging them out of the Mobile's Flash Drive to copy them onto your Mac's Desktop.

One can also purchase a USB cable to do the same thing, yet they can be pretty pricey...

Lumus
12th April 2009, 10:55 AM
As I don't know what kind of Mac or Mobile you have, the simplest way to do it, is to connect your mobile to your Mac by Bluetooth, so the Mac can see the mobile's Flash Drive.

The Flash Drive contains files within folders within folders, just like a computer, and it's then a case of digging around in those folders looking for recorded messages, and then dragging them out of the Mobile's Flash Drive to copy them onto your Mac's Desktop.

One can also purchase a USB cable to do the same thing, yet they can be pretty pricey...

Voicemails are typically not stored on the phone. This would work though if your phone supports recording phone calls. You could then record your voicemail while listening to it then transfer it later.

Alternatively if you have some way of outputting audio from the phone to a 3.5mm jack you could connect the phone to the mic input on your Mac and record it using that.

Goodbye
12th April 2009, 11:00 AM

Voicemail messages are stored on the phone company's server, and not on the phone itself.

My advice would be to find a small audio recorder application on macupdate.com, and just use that to record the sound.

banjo
12th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Garageband is probably the quickest way for you to record the track without having to download any other software.

Open Garageband.
Select Track > New Track ...
Select Real Instrument then Create
Hit the big red Record button down the bottom and then play your message through speakerphone.
When finished recording, hit the big Play button to stop.
To export the file to disk, select Share > Export Song to Disk
Select Export, then choose a location and OK.

You will want to play the track to make sure it recorded, but you should be able to see the waveform being created on the track as it records.

Pepper
12th April 2009, 03:33 PM
Banjo --
You are AWESOME!! That is exactly what I needed and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

ClockWork
12th April 2009, 09:57 PM
So... if I had voicemail that I could hear, and then went out of range - like in a lead lined box or the Gobi Desert... or the centre of Brisbane, I couldn't hear it anymore?

Goodbye
13th April 2009, 07:39 AM
So... if I had voicemail that I could hear, and then went out of range - like in a lead lined box or the Gobi Desert... or the centre of Brisbane, I couldn't hear it anymore?

That's right.