PDA

View Full Version : locating lost songs?

mariachi
10th April 2009, 08:33 PM
I've lost some songs including most of my beloved Charlie
Parker collection. When I try to play them the message comes up - "the song XXX could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"......

well yes I would like to locate it, but I don't know how.

Does anyone know how to????

please help (and why can't the machine find it by itself?)
:sad::confused:

Byrd
10th April 2009, 09:46 PM
Try searching for the actual MP3s themselves using Spotlight - click on the little blue magnifying glass on the far top right of the menu bar, and search for old Charlie there :)

iTunes sometimes spits it when files are moved, or the database can become corrupt, requring a rebuild. Once you find your music, drag it back over to the iTunes playlist.

JB

mariachi
10th April 2009, 10:10 PM
I tried that but it only came up with the ones that it already knew were there. (not all the songs went missing). So the ones that are missing don't show up on spotlight, or anywhere else I can see. There are a number of itunes files around the place including in the public>drop box. Some threads in this forum say that itunes will move files around to organize them if you allow itunes to manage the music (in advanced itunes prefs - A couple of folk say don't allow this) I think itunes has managed only to hide them... any other thoughts?

ClockWork
10th April 2009, 10:52 PM
well... not really... because anything you see (that is to hear or hear / see) in iTunes, is stored in the iTunes folder, which resides in your Music folder, which resides in your Home folder - looks like a little cottage and has yourname underneath it, which resides in your Users folder, which resides in your Macintosh HD....

... and from experience of troubleshooting people's Macs when stuff goes missing in iTunes, it's always been a person's intervention that made them vanish - like:

Moving the iTunes folder out of the Music folder, even if it is put back again.
Accidentally deleting music / videos in iTunes, and then accidentally agreeing with iTunes to Move it to Trash.
Someone else gets access to the machine and sort of... toys with it, and then the main User has no idea what they did - like a child playing with it.
Having multiple Accounts with different iTunes folders in each Account, but forgetting they created multiple Accounts.
Having the iTunes folder or the music on an External Drive, and disconnecting it, and then trying to open a missing song.
Confusing the playing of a CD in iTunes, with the Album / Track actually having been Imported directly into iTunes.
Having the songs on a completely different machine altogether.

I've never born witness to the OS moving folders and files around all by itself - unless there's something actually wrong with the Hard Drive, like a bad sector, where files can indeed simply vanish, because a section of the metal surface of the Hard Drive becomes corrupted.

mariachi
11th April 2009, 09:54 AM
You're right of course, but I still can't find those songs. I think maybe she trashed them by accident, so I guess i'll get them out of the hall cupboard and reload 'em. thanks for the tips