PDA

View Full Version : Is there an application to lock your SMS's

Jias_
10th April 2009, 01:21 PM
On my old Samsung I had the option to put a PIN lock on my text messages so that other people couldn't read them. I live in a dorm and some nosey people try to always read them, which is irritating.

Just wondering if there is an application that does this, or if there is a way to do it without an application.

Thanks guys.

Chief911
10th April 2009, 01:33 PM
lockdown is a jail breaking app i think, u can use that...i don't personally but i plan on jail-breaking once 3.0 comes out....

Trabb
10th April 2009, 08:24 PM
Why not just put a pinlock on the entire phone?

Jias_
10th April 2009, 11:55 PM
Why not just put a pinlock on the entire phone?

I have that, but my friends like to play the games and other apps on my phone. Which I do not mind. But some people are just nosey and can't help themselves. :)

wmyeoh
11th April 2009, 12:25 AM
Lockdown through jailbreak works a treat, as mentioned.

Jias_
13th April 2009, 02:31 AM
Where can I download it, I can't find it on the app store anywhere...

Trabb
13th April 2009, 02:53 AM
It's not an application that you can get from the regular app store... it is only available after you 'jailbreak' your iPhone... which allows you to do different things with your phone... such as locking your SMS app, and adding in applications that aren't made available through the regular store for various reasons.

It is a tiny bit fiddly, but if you get a good guide it is a fairly simple process.

Chief911
15th April 2009, 12:34 PM
dont jailbreak unless you know what your doing or know someone that does, btw warranty is void by doing it so.... make sure you revert to current version b4 going for any kind of help at apple store etc...

Turps
17th April 2009, 01:55 PM
I would be happy if there was just a way to turn preview off. I would like to be able to have the SMS icon say how many unread I have. Similar to the way MMS and Mail do it.
As like you I have mates who like to play with the phone and I would prefer them not to see the preview of a message.

melbmac
17th April 2009, 02:10 PM
In find locking the whole phone and keeping it in your pocket is the way to go. If people are going to snoop through your texts then I wouldn't be letting that kind of person play games on my phone either.

Just my 2c.

Turps
20th April 2009, 01:40 AM
Ok I used lockdown. and its kinda pointless. Yer it locks access to SMS and what ever other program you lick it to.
But I still get SMS preview. Which defeats the purpose of locking if the message can still be read.
Oh and I aint locking the phone altogther. Thats what I liked about my flip phone. Being able to open it up and it just worked.

Trabb
20th April 2009, 05:41 AM
I'm sure there will be an app you can get for a jailbroken iPhone that will turn the preview off. I don't know myself, but hopefully someone here does.

wmyeoh
20th April 2009, 07:25 AM
A few of the non-standard SMS programs (biteSMS, mySMS) allow you to turn off the SMS preview.

I highly recommend biteSMS. It only costs $5 and this includes SMS credit charged at 10c a pop. Apart from all the usual advantages, such as forwarding texts, inserting phone numbers etc, it can also run in the background (so no startup time) and allows Quick Compose SMS (pressing the up volume button allows you to compose and send a text in any situation). Brilliant program.

Turps
20th April 2009, 05:15 PM
I have found a couple that seem to do what I am aftger of just hiding the SMS preview.
Caterpillar (kate)- I cant find, but all reference involves a cost.
Mcleaner- one off cost.
PYSL- this is free. So I went with this one (i love free stuff and you never know apple might change this with 3.o). Little bit confusing to use. But I have turned preview off and now when I recieve a SMS I just get a beep (tone) and a number appears above Text. Like it does for mail or anything else that puts a number above the app (facebook, imob etc).

adamerr
20th April 2009, 05:30 PM
I'd watch out for lockdown.
The last time I used it I was locked out of my iPhone for a whole day.. until I could get home and restore it.

Completely freaked out.
Pathetic I know

:dry:

Turps
20th April 2009, 06:14 PM
I only had lockdown for a short time. As for what I want it was useless. Whats the point of locking down your SMS so you need a pin number. But the stupid preview thing still happens. I had lockdown on, and the phone locked (only a swipe away). And I still got preview.