PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G on Optus - Cannot Activate Cellular Data network.

fompsweeva
9th April 2009, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

Slight issue - that just seemed to come from nowhere.

This morning my iPhone would not connect to the data network at all. (Cellular Data Network Activation error)

I figured it was an issue with the tower I was near.

But when my boss came in, I asked him if his worked at all and it was working fine. (Also an iPhone on Optus)

So I swapped out the Sim card. I could not get my sim to work in his phone. His sim did work in my phone, though.

I called Optus and they told me I need a new SIM card. Unfortunately when I went to the Optus store near by to work they were renovating it and not accepting customers.... (grr...)

Since tomorrow is a public holiday and nothing will be open, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same issue, and if they were able to overcome it somehow?

jamferma
9th April 2009, 10:54 PM
I have had the exact same problem with 3. i noticed that sometimes the APN disappears from Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data. i dont know what optus should be set as but it may be a cause of the problem...not 100% though

wmyeoh
10th April 2009, 12:06 AM
In times of heavy traffic, there is a preference for a voice call over a data call as far as the network is concerned, hence why your 3G or GPRS symbol disappeared. Maybe your boss' phone took the last available "spot".

mattmac
10th April 2009, 01:40 AM
I've had issues all day with mail and a few other things, it says i have 3G reception but I get an error when trying to connect to the mobileme mail servers... maybe a separate issue.

entropy
10th April 2009, 08:08 AM
I have had that problem sometimes and figured it was heavy traffic causing the phone to freak out (hey, I know it isn't logical). Anyway, have you tried rebooting the phone? Hold both buttons down and keep them down, even if it asks to power off. It will shut down on its own eventually. Then press and hold down the top button to restart. Then see if you have data service.

fompsweeva
10th April 2009, 08:23 AM
I have pretty much ruled out traffic. It hasn't been working at all, all day, including this morning. The 3G or GPRS icons don't disappear either.

entropy
10th April 2009, 08:33 AM
yeah, that is what sometimes happens to me. Seriously, try a reboot.

edit: sorry. my 3G icons actually disappear. My bad.

fompsweeva
10th April 2009, 09:09 AM
Re-booted, re-sync with itunes, no luck.

:(

Lumus
10th April 2009, 10:55 AM
Definately get your SIM swapped. You can get one from like TeleChoice or whatever and Optus will refund the purchase of the SIM. It's not a software or hardware issue, nor is it (surprisingly) a network issue.

Spr0gs
10th April 2009, 11:43 AM
Re-booted, re-sync with itunes, no luck.

:(

try calling optus, the same thing happend to me, called optus and it was all sorted out and working within a few hours.

gikku
14th April 2009, 01:56 PM
OPTUS

No Service

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/gikku/photo-5.jpg

Network Selection, Automatic, Optus is in the list of available networks.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/gikku/photo-7.jpg

Network Restricted! WTF?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/gikku/photo-9.jpg

thanks to Skype, Nimbuzz and wifi, the phone is not a complete loss.

:p

battye
17th April 2009, 04:27 PM
I have had the exact same problem with 3. i noticed that sometimes the APN disappears from Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data. i dont know what optus should be set as but it may be a cause of the problem...not 100% though

I'm on Optus, and I've *never* had a Cellular Data field under the Network settings.

I put in a Telstra sim card and it appeared, but I have never had it on Optus.