PDA

View Full Version : problem? mini mac or lcd monitor

jayda
9th April 2009, 11:41 AM
Please excuse my hopelessness about this but I've been mac for over 2 years now so not used to problems with computers anymore!

New mini mac connected to lcd - it just shuts down after 5 to 15 minutes of use. So not sure if the problem is the monitor or the mini. The monitor was working ok on a pc a couple of months back. Connected with new dvi adapter/cable.

How can I test the monitor? Is it possible to hook it up to an desktop imac or a macbook? Don't have any other computer now.

To fix it, I switch off everything at the power and wait for at least 1/2 hour. Any less of a wait usually does not fix it.

TIA!

choy
9th April 2009, 01:37 PM
what shuts down? the monitor or the mac? Is the light at the front still on on the mac or the monitor?

kaisersozay
9th April 2009, 01:39 PM
If your Mac Mini is flashing or blinking it's light after shutdown - then it's asleep and the fix is your Energy Saver in System Preferences.
If the light is out, then it has powered off and again check Energy Saver.
Also, when your LCD recognizes the shutdown of the Mac Mini, it should display a message, such as 'no DVI signal'.
Make sure your connecting cable is correctly seated.
Hope this helps.

jayda
14th April 2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, the light is still on on the front of the mini. Tried the Energy Saver - increased it to 1 hour but it happens within 30 minutes (max - usually sooner). Wouldn't the Energy Saver only make it go asleep if it wasn't active? Like if the mini was left untouched?

Must be the lcd. It goes dead - no message and on light goes off. Unconnected and reconnected the cables numerous times now but still going off.

Thanks for your help anyway.

banjo
14th April 2009, 07:38 AM
Sounds like your monitor could have a problem, possibly overheating. Does it feel hot when it does this "switching off" thing? Feel the cable as well. If you could test with a different cable that might help too.

Another test might be to connect your monitor via VGA if that's an option, just to narrow down what could be going wrong.

kaisersozay
14th April 2009, 10:43 AM
Looks like banjo is on the money.
If the light on your mini blinks - it's asleep.
If the light stays on - it's still in business.
Try a VGA cable by all means, but I think as banjo says, your monitor is the problem. Hopefully, it is still under warranty and perhaps you can give it a try on another Mac of some sort or even a PC to verify the failure.

Dust For Eyes
14th April 2009, 12:10 PM
I once had a problem with an LCD that seemed to randomly switch off. The solution for me was to change where the power chord was plugged in. My guess is that, with some LCD monitors, if they are not happy with the power supply they just shut down.

Have you tried swapping around the power chords and seeing if that makes a difference?

jayda
16th April 2009, 10:09 PM
Tried numerous things, changing cable etc. Something definitely up with lcd unfortunately. It is 4 years old so I guess that is 'old' in computer time! It was $900.00 back then!!

Ended up replacing it with new lcd and with mini running like a dream now :)

kaisersozay
17th April 2009, 07:17 AM
Good to hear you solved your problem. Disappointing that a $900 device can fail after such a short run. You did all the right things to get to the best result.

Byrd
17th April 2009, 07:46 AM
The faulty LCD's backlighting was probably shot; if you shine a torch at the panel you'll probably see an image. Not worth fixing nor easily repaired, unless you can source another cheap LCD with smashed panel and switch over the electronics.

JB