PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air REV B

lukemc
9th April 2009, 06:44 AM
I have a question regarding macbook air rev b vs macbook 2.4 unibody

I can find info regarding start up times, battery life, ripping speed etc etc BUT cant manage to find any info on what the relative time differences would be in burning a divx dvd with toast.

Would you notice a difference due to processor speed (showing my lack of tech knowledge here)

Thanks guys

ps. i remember with my older blackbook (2.16 maybe) when you used toast to burn a disc you couldnt do lost performance with the rest of the machine and im wondering if the same will happen with the new Airs.......

arkenstone
9th April 2009, 07:50 AM
The Air has no DVD drive to burn with :)

Huy
9th April 2009, 08:15 AM
He might buy an MBA SuperDrive to go with it.

The SuperDrive for the MBA is an 8x SuperDrive:

Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 4x speed
Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed
Writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed and DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed
Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
Reads CDs at up to 24x speed
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MB397G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Nw&mco=MzE3NDU4NQ)

I reckon you will be fine, assuming you burn and leave it to burn without launching a million other apps to slow the hard drive down (and CPU). The hard drive on the MBA is slower (4200rpm) than on a unibody MacBook (5400rpm).

lukemc
9th April 2009, 08:21 AM
yeah thanks Huy, i should have mentioned that!

Anyone have real life experience with this? im surprised i cant find a comparison with google!!!

Huy
9th April 2009, 08:26 AM
The problem about experience is that you will not find many people buying both the MacBook Rev. B AND the 2.4 Unibody MacBook.

I had a MBA Rev. A and am currently using the 2.4 Unibody, but not at the same time and cannot make any comparisons for you. My girlfriend does have a Rev. A and a SuperDrive, but you want Rev. B comparisons.

Other forum members might have Rev. B MBA, but not the 2.4 Unibody - they're aimed at different market segments. I can only think of DeanCorp who has both, but he has the MBP Unibody and no SuperDrive that I know of.

So long story short, you're unlikely to find someone with an MBA Rev. B as well as a 2.4 Unibody, who also purchased the MBA SuperDrive. That is why finding comparisons is difficult. :)

lukemc
9th April 2009, 08:34 AM
Yes, very true Huy! Thanks for the input tho. Now the question is, can i afford to buy a Rev B plus a superdrive to test it!