PDA

View Full Version : EOI: Would you trade...

pjdm
9th April 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi guys, I've been thinking and wanted to get some opinions. For size convenience would anyone who had this MBP...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1531/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MBPRO17OLD?wid=200&hei=200&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp
15" Macbook Pro
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB DDR2 Memory
200GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M graphics
Illuminated keyboard
Aluminum body

Trade it for a ...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1531/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/macbook/product-aluminum-black.jpg

13" Macbook
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3 Memory
250GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Illuminated keyboard
Aluminum unibody

Or vice versa ???

lukemc
9th April 2009, 06:40 AM
i did, the only, and i mean only drawback is the screen, the viewing angle is not as good by any means on the new macbook as the older pro.

Portability wise the new macbook in my opinion is much better, lighter and smaller footprint, so if your after carrying it around with you i say go for it, but you will notice a difference is screen quality (and also sound volume actually) in the new one

Phase
9th April 2009, 08:39 AM
Nope, and it's exactly for the reason lukemc pointed out.

If you're coming from the Pro, the Macbook's screen is cactus in comparison.

leon
9th April 2009, 08:39 AM
The Macbook has a higher market value than the Macbook Pro. My brother in law traded the same Macbook Pro in last year for a Mac Pro. He was given about $1500 for it.

If you find someone who wants to do a direct swap then your probably getting the better deal.

pjdm
10th April 2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.

The size is pretty much the only thing thats making me think of swapping my Macbook Pro for a Macbook. Volume and screen doesn't bother me much. It may also be hard to find someone who would want to swap.

dekco
10th April 2009, 11:26 AM
once you go pro, it is hard to go back to the normal MB.3 months ago i was eyeing the 13" unibody, and today i am sitting on a 17" MBP. even my 15" lappy seems small :p

Cybix
10th April 2009, 11:57 AM
The Pro kills the Macbook, even the old Pro. Firewire, expresscard, the screen, resolution, etc.

iJordie
10th April 2009, 03:21 PM
I would keep the Pro! The only machine I would trade for that would be the New Macbook Pros. Why do you want to switch??

dche5390
10th April 2009, 03:46 PM
The screen is unbearable. Keep the pro. I'm speaking from experience. If you truly want portability, MacBook Air.

black painter
10th April 2009, 07:26 PM
I love my new macbook. I have switched from a HP 15" and its great. I have comparied the pro with macbook and the new macbook kicks it as long as there is no firewire devices to connect with. If there is that the macbook pro is for you.

lsk
11th April 2009, 03:32 PM
Hm ive got a Macbook Pro (Penryn) and would consider trading it, just for a change. Sure the Pro is more powerful but i'd love a change......but i'd probrably miss my mbp after i did :P

bacco007
11th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Damn, I've got a 2Ghz MB :(

alanthomasball
11th April 2009, 05:01 PM
Sounds stupid, but this is oft overlooked:

Research a REALLY good bag that fits your travel requirements and style. Look at Crumpler, LowePro, and other QUALITY bag makers. It's the fabric they use that makes such a huge difference. Maybe even check out a bag-making leathersmith - they can make the bag around the Laptop.

This will make a huge difference to your perception of portability. I've taken my 2.33Ghz 15" around our earth 3 times now and many other city-hops. I use a LowePro "Stealth Reporter" 650AW for everything, and still carry-on.

crimespree
12th April 2009, 01:37 PM
i get a new one every year and I swapped my 2.2 mb pro for an air then now for macbook 2.4
i think the macbook is the perfect size and i like it the most out of the three,
the pro is nice but i have an imac for firewire etc,
i was happy with the air but it isn't really a keeper as it gets old quick without upgradeability and the button on the air pad was too small an constantly annoyed me

dekco
12th April 2009, 10:24 PM
I would keep the Pro! The only machine I would trade for that would be the New Macbook Pros. Why do you want to switch??
even then, you only gain the unibody. compare to the older macs, you lose your screen (matte as opposed to gloss), and you lose a FW400 port.

not a trade (UP) in my opinion. however YMMV.

halledise
13th April 2009, 07:01 AM
Hi guys, I've been thinking and wanted to get some opinions. For size convenience would anyone who had this MBP...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1531/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MBPRO17OLD?wid=200&hei=200&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp
15" Macbook Pro
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB DDR2 Memory
200GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M graphics
Illuminated keyboard
Aluminum body

Trade it for a ...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1531/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/macbook/product-aluminum-black.jpg

13" Macbook
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3 Memory
250GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Illuminated keyboard
Aluminum unibody

Or vice versa ???

I happen to have one of each of these models and my preference is definitely for the newer 13" MB over the older 15" MBP;

especially when it comes to toting the things around.

13" screen is brighter & clearer
(and I don't buy into the matte-is-better argument - if reflection is an issue, change position. A matte screen is also a pain to work on with a light source/window immediately behind)

my daughter uses the MBP for her Adobe work and prefers the larger screen - + she can't get access to the MB as I'm usually on it.

we've timed similar tasks simultaneously on each and they come out around the same.
we use both machines in a public projection situation.
again, my preference is for the MB as is hers.

Unibody is a stronger construction and has a lighter feel to it.

guess it all comes down to personal preference, but the best thing to do is to lob into an Apple store and try a hands-on play.
you'll probably end up going for a 15" Unibody MBPro ! and these pop up on Refurb store for anything up to $600 off new price.

your current machine is worth anywhere from $2000 to $2600 depending on condition and who's in the market for one.

hope this helps - hands on is the best way to decide :D