PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Abuse

craigc
8th April 2009, 04:53 PM
What is the worst physical abuse (as opposed to mental abuse) you have perpetrated on you MacBook/MacBook Pro?

When I was on holidays at Christmas, I was staying at a friend's house with my family. I stupidly put my 2 month old MacBook on the ground in front of an open suitcase which was filled with kid's toys.

You can imagine my reaction when I walked in the room and discovered my 3 year old daughter fully standing on the closed MacBook, as she reached into the suitcase. Luckily, there was no serious damage - except for the tears from my daughter from hearing me scream in terror.

It just goes to show that they weren't joking when they said how strong a solid piece of aluminum can be.

takamine
8th April 2009, 06:38 PM
I was at a family party where my 4 year old nephew was sitting next to me when I was doing some work on my Macbook. Next thing I know, he stands up on the seat and tries to sit on me. I quickly shut the lid and he's semi-sitting on it, with my right arm trying to push him away. I was afraid he would have dented it or even broken the glass of the screen. Not a sign of abuse in that event. Well done, Apple!

cosmichobo
8th April 2009, 08:13 PM
Awww c'mon - someone drop their Macbook on its corner, and see if it compares (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/51095-woops-dropped-my-mbp-pics.html)...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4493/woopsvh5.jpg

LCGuy
8th April 2009, 08:34 PM
Spilt a coke can right next to the MacBook. Thankfully, I was using an external keyboard with it at the time, which said can promptly dumped its contents into, rather than the MacBook itself.

Thankfully, apart from a bit of wasted Coke there were no casulties - that keyboard still works fine, as does the MacBook :)

Maximage
8th April 2009, 09:04 PM
I've seen the results of a guy who was one of the official photographers for the Melbourne Commonwealth Games drop his 12" PowerBook from the very top of the stands. He hiked up to the top the night before the opening to suss out points to photograph from and it slipped out of his backpack. Apparently it cartwheeled all the way down the stairs to the bottom, the various LEDs and screen lighting up surrealistically but temporarily as it cartwheeled thru the dark till it got to the point it fully disintegrated. Unbelievably he still had to bring it in in a plastic shopping bag in literally 100 pieces as his insurance company insisted on a repair quote despite it not having a single piece left in tact. Emptying the plastic bag out was like emptying out a vacuum cleaner, it was in so many pieces. I still can't get over how he managed to find all the pieces.

dekco
8th April 2009, 09:17 PM
and how would the insurance company know that that was the only pieces, and that there wasnt more in the field? :p

crunchysteve
9th April 2009, 07:14 AM
Never dropped my Mac (touch wood), but my old iPod mini (2nd gen) has bitten the pavement hard, three times, once out of a hole in my cycling jersey as I was hurtling down the cycleway! Still rocks on happily.

Lets hear it for solid blocks of aluminium! Hip hip...

iCarllovesapple
9th April 2009, 07:13 PM
Well. I have the Unibody MBP and I treat it like gold.. But, I find that the aluminum is crap. I put it on my coffee table and it gently hit a plastic washing crake and it dented (I wouldn't call it a dent - a very small gash) right on the side of my MBP. Another scenario.. I have an STM laptop bag which can be a bitch to close.. The zip touched the right hand corner of my MBP and it left a black scratch. I am seriously not impressed with the aluminum.. I actually hate the whole computer. I'd take the old Non Unibody MBP back any day.. :(

dekco
10th April 2009, 12:26 AM
the older alu bodies seem to be nicer to keep in mint condition. But my fav was the G4 Ti. Made of titanium :D. Best body of any laptop *IMHO*

Lumus
10th April 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm sharing my MBP with my partner at the moment as he's out of work (stupid economic crap) and I caught him picking it up by the top bezel of the screen! The look of absolute horror on my face was met with a "why the fuck are you looking at me like that!"

I had to explain that apart from the fact it's MY BABY, the hinge doesn't open to 180 degrees like most other laptops and could have caused damage!

MrJesseRoss
10th April 2009, 01:04 AM
I knocked a can of beer over my Macbook last year. Thankfully I was quick enough to stop it before it went any further than the palm-rest.

As for my iPods, they've all been dropped at some point or another. Especially my old nano. Poor thing was always hitting the floor of the bus. My first iPod touch has also leapt out of my bag as I've been running for the bus. Hit the pavement, but not a single scratch.

I like to try to keep my stuff as safe as possible. They're no good to me broken.

dekco
10th April 2009, 11:30 AM
I'm sharing my MBP with my partner at the moment as he's out of work (stupid economic crap) and I caught him picking it up by the top bezel of the screen! The look of absolute horror on my face was met with a "why the fuck are you looking at me like that!"

I had to explain that apart from the fact it's MY BABY, the hinge doesn't open to 180 degrees like most other laptops and could have caused damage!
if i was in your shoes, i would have to give the fella a good clip on the ears. one of the more reasons why i dont lend my stuff to ANYONE. that includes family members.

because there are so few people like us who like to keep our toys mint.