PDA

View Full Version : Dead Macbook battery replacements

Lutze
8th April 2009, 04:09 PM
Okay.. so NextShite have had my battery for 5 days, and they have finally advised me that the battery is certainly dead. And that Apple will not replace it - even when it's died suddenly with only 147 cycles used.

They will now try to foist their Macbook battery replacement on me. $200

We all love to shop around, and having done so I've found a dude on eBay selling "genuine Macbook battery" with 180 day warranty for $80. The guy has 99.8% good rep - with thousands of feedback.

What do you guys think about buying one like this? Or do you have a decent other option?

ajbeardy
8th April 2009, 04:12 PM
Have a look here:

Batteries - MacBook 13.3" Batteries - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=129)

Sebastianmonty
8th April 2009, 04:36 PM
I say firstly, "How long has the battery been used for?"
If you go directly with Apple you may get somewhere. 147 cycles is jack all.

Secondly I would look at the capacity of the ebayers batteries and maybe do his. At $80 it's a good thing to have as a backup battery as well.

Lutze
8th April 2009, 04:39 PM
Have a look here:

Batteries - MacBook 13.3" Batteries - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=129)

Wooo - that's quite cool! Thanks for that link!

I say firstly, "How long has the battery been used for?"
If you go directly with Apple you may get somewhere. 147 cycles is jack all.

Secondly I would look at the capacity of the ebayers batteries and maybe do his. At $80 it's a good thing to have as a backup battery as well.

I've spoken with Apple and had a little hissy fit at them. They won't budge even though they know there was a problem with Macbook batteries from earlier in the year of manufacture on mine (look up battery update 1.2 on the Support section of apple.com.) The guy I spoke to flat refused to do anything.

My battery is a year and five months old - Max. It was Good health one day - next day would not take a charge.

insular
8th April 2009, 05:06 PM
i had a dead macbook battery and got it replaced on the spot at the genius bar at the apple store in sydney, no questions asked. the fact you went through nextbyte means you screwed yourself (no offense). get the battery back and take it to a genius next time you're interstate, and just buy another in the mean time. not worth the trouble otherwise.

choy
9th April 2009, 12:52 AM
lutze, PM me if you want a free macbook black battery. Used but worth it if not at least as a backup. Offering to you as you live in WA so I don't have to ship it!!

iCarllovesapple
9th April 2009, 07:15 PM
Here's one of my posts about this issue.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/61056-blackbook-battery-has-decided-die-pft.html

I basically just called and complained and they sent me out a new battery.. :)

iCarllovesapple
9th April 2009, 07:16 PM
Oh, and my BlackBook battery died at 147 cycle counts as well! Strange hey?!

Xenex
9th April 2009, 07:44 PM
There is an application service providers have to run to test batteries now, and unless it spits out the right code they can't order a replacement from Apple.

So, they're not just being jerks this time.