PDA

View Full Version : Help in tracking down stolen laptop!

microportal
8th April 2009, 11:52 AM
Hi folks, my good friend's house had been broken into yesterday and she had lost her G4 powerbook (the second last revision in the series) and she is wondering if there is a chance of recovering the laptop to get all her precious photos back. She tried calling apple to find out if they can help track the laptop if it turns up (for repairs or something) but apple said it would do nothing. There is no anti-theft or tracking software installed on the laptop and i am unsure if there are other options of tracking the location of the theives when they connect to the internet. If anyone had a similar experience inn the past, we will appreciate any advice or help. Thanks for your time. In the meantime i will back trace older forums on similar topics

decryption
8th April 2009, 12:19 PM
There's not much you can do once its' gone.
Let this be a reminder to have backups of important things like photos.

microportal
8th April 2009, 12:37 PM
Sucks, i am suprised that there is not even the option of reporting to a apple to keep a lookout for stolen serial numbers, how hard is that to have a database to keep service centres to be on the lookout.

Arkhum_Eramak
8th April 2009, 03:24 PM
I thought they did record stolen machines' serial numbers so they'd alert service staff if they'd been given a 'hot' item. Thought it was too good to be true.

mattydee
8th April 2009, 04:10 PM
I thought they did record stolen machines' serial numbers so they'd alert service staff if they'd been given a 'hot' item. Thought it was too good to be true.

i thought they did as well until i phoned them asking for it after i lost my iphone :(

iJordie
8th April 2009, 05:13 PM
The Reason I think they are not willing to cover the machine is that it is out of warranty. I would think about updating it at this point anyway. Does she make use out of time machine with an external harddrive? or at least have a backup copy of those photos on disk?

If she recovers the machine, Promptly ask her to purchase a portable harddrive and use time machine.

If not they is not a hell of a lot you can do ):

As decryption said, This one of those tough moments in life that teach you to "Backup" in future.

takamine
8th April 2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear about it! I guess in future, as the others have said, is to make regular backups if possible. Investing $200 in an external harddrive could save you a lot of precious memories.

In future, she might want to consider: http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

Hopefully she gets it back.

microportal
12th April 2009, 01:04 AM
Hope she gets it back too, but sounds bleak, thanks for comments though from everyone. One thing i have to say though...the lack of a lost stolen registration thing is weak for apple that sucks up so much money for their brand. I have since gotten undercover myself, hope i never will need to use it though.

DeKa
12th April 2009, 04:26 PM
Hope she gets it back too, but sounds bleak, thanks for comments though from everyone. One thing i have to say though...the lack of a lost stolen registration thing is weak for apple that sucks up so much money for their brand. I have since gotten undercover myself, hope i never will need to use it though.

Why? They don't advertise it as a service provided, so why should you expect it? Seriously, how many stolen laptops are going to be taken to an Apple shop...? Most will end up at Cash Converters... and maybe an Apple shop after someone buys it, and needs a new charger.

Boney_Ahem
12th April 2009, 05:57 PM
When my sons iPod was stolen Apple wanted to know the serial number in the event that the thief would slip up and register the iPod when reformatting it or something .. mind you, the iPod was only months old. Having said that ... haven't heard from Apple and it was stolen 4 years ago ....

I have OnyX installed and one of the options is to have text displayed at the log in screen. I have "This Mac belongs to etc" ... FWIW, it's the very least I can do asides from having contents insurance ...

aussiehoudini
12th April 2009, 07:14 PM
If only she'd had a sticker on it: ReturnIT returnit.com.au portable electronic loss recovery service (http://www.returnit.com.au). I'm certain we've had a couple of stolen one's which we've gotten back to their owners.

Disclaimer: I'm a Director of the business but doesn't mean I don't think it's an awesome way to avoid losing you laptop, actually that's why I'm a Director :)

vngstr
18th April 2009, 10:40 PM
Post pounding on ATT and APPLE with treats and subpoenas I have so far accomplished the following:
1: All laptops with wifi have a non-changeable mac address...
a: Therfore, Apple and ATT are currently working on procedures to recover stolen items such as iphones and laptops.
b: working with law enforcement is mandatory though as we do not want vigilante justice.
c: You must file a police report and then your district attorney will serve subpoenas to the manufacturer in question for information to include where in the !##@ your item is...

Believe me, they can find your stolen item down the home address and then when they give this information to the district attorney they in turn will make the arest. ATT just started this procedure 2 days ago for stolen iphones and the like... hope this helps
vngstr

n20nine
19th April 2009, 08:58 PM
i just purchased undercover to be safe and enabled the firmware password...i got it with student discount, so its was about 57 AUD i think..

pat25d
19th April 2009, 11:08 PM
Post pounding on ATT and APPLE with treats and subpoenas I have so far accomplished the following:
1: All laptops with wifi have a non-changeable mac address...
a: Therfore, Apple and ATT are currently working on procedures to recover stolen items such as iphones and laptops.
b: working with law enforcement is mandatory though as we do not want vigilante justice.
c: You must file a police report and then your district attorney will serve subpoenas to the manufacturer in question for information to include where in the !##@ your item is...

Believe me, they can find your stolen item down the home address and then when they give this information to the district attorney they in turn will make the arest. ATT just started this procedure 2 days ago for stolen iphones and the like... hope this helps
vngstr

Dunno what you are on about but we don't have district attorneys in Australia.

asender
9th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I am using this website to put all my mac computers in so if they are stolen it can be tracked... really clever site and easy to use.

Assettmate.com is a new database enabling people to enter details of assets they have purchased, whether new or second hand. This means that in the event of theft or loss of their precious item, the asset can be tracked by means of the serial number. By logging on to the database you can enter all relevant details of your asset, including photographs, so that you have a record for insurance and warranty purposes. Should you wish to sell the item, you have all relevant details at hand.

The process is simple: when you purchase an item you will be given a serial number for the goods purchased. Enter the details on AssetMate (http://www.assettmate.com) and any other particulars that are useful to know, such as date of purchase and vendor's details. You will no longer need a filing cabinet full of messy paperwork and at last you will feel organised and secure, knowing details of your precious possessions are safely stored. Assettmate.com is free for all users."