PDA

View Full Version : New 2009 Mac Mini problems

GeoffP
7th April 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi,
Just picked up a standard 2009 mac mini (1GB RAM 120GB HDD) today for use as a htpc.

Couple of problems straight away:

Firstly:
Connected via supplied DVI-D cable > HDMI adaptor > HDMI to HDMI cable into my Samsung LCD TV (Series 9 46"). Set the TV to "Just Scan" which should accept the native 1920x1080 resolution from the mini. The top and both sides of the desktop disappear off the side of the TV screen.
I have read about a third party app which allows you to tweak the settings can't remember it's name.

Secondly:
I bought a 3rd party Toslink optical cable to connect into my amps optical input. I can only get stereo from any 5.1 audio source (tried a store bought DVD, tried a backup DVD from the hard drive).
(The amps optical input provides 5.1 when I tested it with my Foxtel box).
System Preferences > Sound pane > Output tab > has no settings for the Digital Output.
I also tried an analogue 3.5mm to RCA (left & right) cable, but got no sound at all.
I have installed Perian and set Audio Output to Multi-Channel Output.
I am totally stumped.

I really need some help on this.

Thanks in advance.
Geoff.

NeoRicen
7th April 2009, 06:48 PM
Firstly:
Connected via supplied DVI-D cable > HDMI adaptor > HDMI to HDMI cable into my Samsung LCD TV (Series 9 46"). Set the TV to "Just Scan" which should accept the native 1920x1080 resolution from the mini. The top and both sides of the desktop disappear off the side of the TV screen.
I have read about a third party app which allows you to tweak the settings can't remember it's name.
That's standard behaviour for a TV, if your TV has a 1:1 Pixel mode, use that. There's probably an OSX solution though, but unnecessary if your TV has that option.

arkenstone
7th April 2009, 08:20 PM
Yep most TV's will overscan. Your TV will have a mode to disable this, or your media centre software will compensate when you set it up to do so.

It's normal behaviour.

GeoffP
7th April 2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys,,

Yeh, I did set the DVI input on the TV to "Just Scan" which is like 1.1 pixel - I think.

It had dropped its setting back to 16:9, hence the loss of some of the desktop - set it back to Just Scan again and made sure to save the setting - got my desktop back again :thumbs up:

Now I need to work out why i can't get 5.1 digital sound - anyone???

GeoffP
7th April 2009, 08:58 PM
Got this help from Whirlpool user philh

"Are you using DVD Player on the Mac? Go to preferences then click Disc setup. If you have an optical cable connected you should be able to select digital out. This will provide digital out regardless of the settings in sound prefs."

you aced it philh :huge thumbs up: I now have 5.1

thanks mate

vella
7th April 2009, 11:01 PM
Secondly:
I bought a 3rd party Toslink optical cable to connect into my amps optical input. I can only get stereo from any 5.1 audio source (tried a store bought DVD, tried a backup DVD from the hard drive).
(The amps optical input provides 5.1 when I tested it with my Foxtel box).
System Preferences > Sound pane > Output tab > has no settings for the Digital Output.
I also tried an analogue 3.5mm to RCA (left & right) cable, but got no sound at all.
I have installed Perian and set Audio Output to Multi-Channel Output.
I am totally stumped.

I really need some help on this.

Thanks in advance.
Geoff.

If you are using VLC you must go to the menu > audio >audio device and play around in their and you will get 5.1

or you can use Boxee or plex and play the media in that and 5.1 is the default when you have the optical cable in.