PDA

View Full Version : Whos using what data?

Mecha
7th April 2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone know of a program I can use (windows or mac) that i can install on individual computers to see who's chewing through what data on my network.

Or is there another way I can get this info that doesn't reset itself as soon as the connection is lost?

Lutze
7th April 2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone know of a program I can use (windows or mac) that i can install on individual computers to see who's chewing through what data on my network.

Or is there another way I can get this info that doesn't reset itself as soon as the connection is lost?

Best suggestion that we can come up with here is to use 1 system to be proxy server to the network. That way you can tag the data to each MAC address.

Brains
7th April 2009, 05:45 PM
The best way is to replace your broadband router with a small PC with dual ethernet interfaces, and load it up with a good router/firewall package, such as pfsense or m0n0wall.

Alternatively, you could invest in a Belkin N1 Vision (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018#) router:

http://catalog.belkin.com/images/product/F5D8232-4/FUL1_F5D8232-4.jpg

Instead of the uninformative and confusing blinking lights which adorn most routers, the N1 has a full monochrome LCD display which tracks your upstream / downstream speeds, logs your bandwidth, displays date, time and network access key info, and also shows you what devices are connected and how much bandwidth each one is eating up. Clearly an ideal solution for those of you requiring cold, hard facts with which to confront roommates about their rampant "film" downloading.

D-Link also have some models of router with built-in display and similar reporting functions (including a who's-using-what traffic meter), including the DIR-660 and DIR-855.

Mecha
7th April 2009, 10:08 PM
D-Link also have some models of router with built-in display and similar reporting functions (including a who's-using-what traffic meter), including the DIR-660 and DIR-855.

I currently use the DIR-655. Do you know if I can get the same info that the DIR-660 uses somehow?

Brains
7th April 2009, 10:28 PM
No idea. Check the manual. They're apparently the same core, the 660 has an extra board to run the display.