PDA

View Full Version : iPhone suddenly not connecting to wi-fi.

mestevie
6th April 2009, 07:36 PM
Having a problem with my iPhone all of a sudden not being able to connect to wi-fi. I have had 2.2.1 installed from day 1, so its not a recent change.

My setup at home is a Telstra Wireless Gateway (Netgear), one airport express connected to my beyonwiz PVR, one airport express connected to my Mac Pro, and a macbook. All these devices are on the wireless network and the iPhone happily played with all of these on wi-fi until Sunday morning.

First of all there is a very weak signal. It will basically see the network interimittently, and when it does see it, will not connect. The message is 'unable to join xxxx network'. Note that it has been happily working on wifi for over 6 months.

Recent changes to my network was the addition of the second airport express. However, the phone has been working for two weeks solid since I did this.

Last app installed was skype - but again - happily played until Sunday.

After doing some googling I have tried the following troubleshooting actions:

1) Turned phone off and on. Asked the phone to 'forget' my network. No change
2) Restored iPhone from backup and re-installed 2.2.1 - No change
2) Reset all network settings on the phone - No change
3) Took all protection off of the wireless modem/router ie WEP psk - No change
4) Changed the ip range on the modem - no change
5) released and renewed DHCP lease that the iphone had established - no change
6) Tried to enter a static ip address based on what the other machines on the network were using - cannot conclusively say I did this correctly as I was not sure what to put in the 'domain' field, but still - no change

Today I tried to get the phone to connect to another network that I know has worked in the past. Same symptoms - weak signal and unable to connect.

I fear the wi-fi in the phone has gone belly up. My only hope is that many, many people on the web have experienced very similar problems - so I am hoping its some sort of networking settings issue.

Any other things I should try - or is a visit to a genius in my 'across the nullabor' plain future, being all the way over in WA.

Help me mactalkers - you're my only hope.

Cheers
Steve

mestevie
7th April 2009, 11:24 AM
Apple iPhone boards going nuts over this..

Apple - Support - Discussions - 2.2.1 Killed my wifi ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9282165#9282165)

shiny
7th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Hmm, whilst I cannot offer a solution I have found the iPhone slower and slower to connect to Wi-Fi, once connected its fine, but it takes a while to do so.

Hopefully a fix will be rolled out in a software update, make sure your send feedback/bug report to Apple:

Apple - iPhone - Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html)

Cracked Media
8th April 2009, 07:56 PM
It could be your firmware on Airport - What version are you running?

mestevie
8th April 2009, 09:05 PM
It could be your firmware on Airport - What version are you running?

How do I tell?

Besides I have tried turning off all devices, including airport expresses and computers using the network except the phone and still have had no joy.

mestevie
11th April 2009, 03:54 PM
genius replaced my iPhone today. I guess that's that. I might be buying AppleCare for the iPhone once warranty expires methinks.

Reubania
13th April 2009, 07:54 PM
genius replaced my iPhone today. I guess that's that. I might be buying AppleCare for the iPhone once warranty expires methinks.

Um. AppleCare for the iPhone does not exist in Australia :confused:

Back2Bedlam
13th April 2009, 08:01 PM
where did you get it replaced? thought your profile said your in Perth

mestevie
19th April 2009, 03:35 AM
Back in Syd for work.

Snow Leopard
19th April 2009, 08:33 PM
How do I tell?

Besides I have tried turning off all devices, including airport expresses and computers using the network except the phone and still have had no joy.

go to airport utility. ;)