PDA

View Full Version : Help please cannot burn CD or DVD with eMac

Ronirossi
6th April 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi All, for some weird reason over the weekend my eMac has stopped burning CD or DVD's. I have iTunes 8.1 and iPhoto 7. Last week it was fine, but it has all gone very weird. I would appreciate some assistance please. (Remember I am not very technical :footinmouth: so simple answers would be good. I tried all day Sunday to get it work:o. Thanks for your help all.

captain fantasy
6th April 2009, 03:30 PM
Can you play a cd that you know is OK?
It maybe that your burner has given up the ghost!
What does it do, does it give an error message?

Ronirossi
6th April 2009, 04:13 PM
Yes I can play them. But it does not want to burn CD's in iTunes or DVD's in iPhoto anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

captain fantasy
6th April 2009, 05:50 PM
Are you using different cd or dvd media.
Have you downloaded any new software or made any changes to itunes, iphotos?

Rant
6th April 2009, 10:15 PM
Lots of other questions:

Does the computer say it can't recognise the blank media when you insert it?
if so, what brand & kind of discs are you using?
What model eMac & what OS do you have (Apple menu/About this Mac)?
Does Apple/Software Update say you need to update anything?
Can you burn a disc in Finder? (type burn into Finder help & choose "Burning a CD or DVD" for instructions).

Some people have 'solved' the iTunes problem by downgrading to a previous version of iTunes, but that's not a simple process, so we'll stick to the previous questions, to begin with. The fact that you have the same problem with iPhoto indicates that problem is bigger than just one application.

Ronirossi
7th April 2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you so much for your patience with me and your help.:D.
I will try the above at home tonight and will let you know how I go. Sorry I am not very technical :p

Rant
7th April 2009, 10:25 AM
and there was an update to iTunes overnight (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/06/apple-updates-itunes-to-8-1-1/), check Software Update - but as I said, the problem seems to be wider than that

Ronirossi
7th April 2009, 04:28 PM
OK thanks. I will give that a try as well. Thank you for your patience with me.

Ronirossi
8th April 2009, 10:31 AM
Thank you to both "Captain Fantasy" and "Rant" for your patience with my issue and my lack of technical knowledge. It is very much appreciated. Some good news. The iTunes update last night seemed to fix the burning CD issues in iTunes. Thank you.
But sadly I still cannot burn my photo's to CD or DVD in either iPhoto V7 or iDVD. I sat there patiently last night and went through all of the Tutorials on the Apple site to try to work out what I have done wrong and printed out instructions, but I still can't get it to burn.:crying: If you can help with this it would be much appreciated please, as I have some photo's I would like to share with a family member interstate. All I get is burning error with no error number or code and a blank CD/DVD.

Rant
8th April 2009, 03:16 PM
There are instances of people having trouble burning photos, rebuilding their iPhoto Library and solving the problem.

Hold down Command-Option when you launch iPhoto (I'm guessing you have iPhoto '08) and tick all the options.

http://www.simplehelp.net/images/rebuildiphoto/rebuildiphoto1a.jpg

Don't know how long this will take, but it might take a while. Let us know how you get on.

Ronirossi
8th April 2009, 10:36 PM
There are instances of people having trouble burning photos, rebuilding their iPhoto Library and solving the problem.

Hold down Command-Option when you launch iPhoto (I'm guessing you have iPhoto '08) and tick all the options.

http://www.simplehelp.net/images/rebuildiphoto/rebuildiphoto1a.jpg

Don't know how long this will take, but it might take a while. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Rant. Thank you for your help. I'm sorry but I have Version 7.1.5 of iPhoto. I know this is going to be a stupid question but where is the Command-Option?
I have also just downloaded Burn software and it's doing the same thing. It looks like it's burning DVD and then the door opens but on the screen it says error in burning? What am I doing wrong please help?:sad:

Rant
8th April 2009, 10:44 PM
Hold down the two keys to the left of the Space bar, when you start iPhoto.

I'm pretty sure iPhoto '08 is version 7. I have '09 and it's version 8. Don't asků

good luck

Ronirossi
8th April 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks Rant you are very patient and helpful. I will give it a go now. :D.