PDA

View Full Version : The era of Icy (Installer) is 3.0?

Keving
5th April 2009, 03:09 PM
All of us who were with iPhones when they were unoffical, back in the 1.0 software days, we all used installer as our primary method of jailbroken apps. When 2.0 came out, the jailbreaker came preinstalled with Cydia - and we moved to that.

Now that i'm playing with the 3.0 beta - Icy seems to do what Cydia did to installer, come pre-installed, and be a better option...

Has the makers of Installer waited for a time like this to release this far more superior version of Installer?

I think that by having the 3.0 beta software jailbreak with only icy, is going to give them a huge edge over Cydia.... Even when the Dev Team supports and releases their own jailbreak, people will turn to Icy after having tried it...

Whats peoples opinions on Icy? I've used Installer and cydia since they existed, and Icy seems to be an edge on both, a lot faster then cydia, with the same functionality (minus the rip-off app store, that seems to be a fail/10)

politik
9th April 2009, 11:29 AM
Nothing has an edge on Cydia because it is an apt-get frontend.

matthew858
9th April 2009, 11:38 AM
I think Icy does have something over Cydia, as it uses Cydia's sources (and is also compatible with Installer's sources), but it is much faster and looks so much nicer that Cydia.

Beau
12th April 2009, 09:13 PM

Icy is a *prettier* apt-get frontend. ;-)

Jaffa
12th April 2009, 09:31 PM

Yet its the ugliest iPhone app I've used in my life. As others have said Icy does have many edges over Cydia.

Peter Wells
12th April 2009, 09:44 PM
sure is prettier and faster...

i dont get the whole apt vs DPKG, but there's the start of a great nerd fight a brewin' on twitter between @saurik (cydia) and @ripdev (icy)..