PDA

View Full Version : Reattaching a Key on a G4 iBook

macshack
12th June 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi all

I have just installed some extra RAM in my G4 iBook and have inadvertently "popped off" the key immediately below the escape key. I have been trying to slot it on and am failing every time - as is my patience! I can clearly see how it goes on - just can't seem to do it!

is there a very quick and simple method that anyone knows to reattach it???

any help much appreciated!

cheers
Rebecca

Disko
12th June 2004, 12:44 PM
argh. this same thing happned to my powerbook while i was trying to clean some pepsi out from under the keys...

My advice: don't be forceful - the parts are very delecate under there... I managed to get my key back on, but that was after a few days of trying different angles, etc.

Sorry i can't offer more help than that. :/

Good luck.

jobe
12th June 2004, 03:59 PM
is it just the key or part or all of the latchy thing underneath the key?

I was cleaning my ibook keyboard, removed all the keys and accidenatally snapped one of the latcy things underneath. So I moved that key to f7 which I rarly use.

Anyway, if it's just the key, you line it up and press it firmly (but not forcefully) down and it should simply click in. If it's the latch thing, best thing to do would be remove it from the key, attach the latchy thing to the keyboard first then do as above, simple depress the key onto the latchy thing.

That is assuming you haven't damaged the underside of the key or broken anything.

iiiifff.... you have... wana go halfs in a replacement keyboard? I only need ONE friggen KEY!!! and I aint paying upwards of $180 to get it (cost of a replacement keyboard).

macshack
12th June 2004, 04:19 PM
it's the key PLUS the plastic clip on the underside. They have come off as a unit and are in no way damaged at all so i should be fine.

nervous about removing the plastic clip from the key itself but it;s impossible to damn well see much when trying to hook it over the tiny brackets!!

jeez.....$180 - i feel for ya!