PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro won't turn on

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 11:50 AM
Hello Peoples,

I've got a bit of an issue with my 17" MacBook Pro (Penryn 2.6ghz, early 2008).

It was sitting on my desk yesterday uploading some files via FTP (nothing processor intensive) when my mother came over to see my new baby daughter. Anyway, I went to move the mouse to see how the upload was progressing and the machine wouldn't wake from sleep.

I tried to power cycle the machine, but the machine won't turn on. I've tried reseating the battery, reseating the RAM, holding the power button down for 10+ seconds, different power adapters but nothing seems to work.

The battery appears to be fully charged and the machine is less than a month out of warranty.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind that a PRAM reset etc. won't do anything - the hard drive etc. won't even power up, neither does the display adapter.

One interesting thing to note is the fact that the machine appeared to be getting quite warm yesterday - the fans were spinning up even though the only thing running was OSX and a copy of Transit.

ClockWork
5th April 2009, 11:55 AM
Got AppleCare Protection Plan? (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365)

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 11:59 AM
Got AppleCare Protection Plan? (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365)

I didn't bother - machine was working fine and I was going to replace it in the next year anyhow. I was hoping to get more than 13 months use out of a $5.5k machine, that's all!

ClockWork
5th April 2009, 12:03 PM
hums... oh there's a sucker born every minute...

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 12:14 PM
hums... oh there's a sucker born every minute...

I came for suggestions not for sympathy - the sucker comments aren't needed ClockWork, though I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I've been though a 15" TiBook, 17" AlBook and 17" MBP - all of these are currently big paperweights - ironically, my wife's Dell which she bought in 2003 is still humming away just nicely - not sure what I do to these machines!

Shoulda got the AppleCare - ah well.

ClockWork
5th April 2009, 12:18 PM
Apple Service Centre. Repairs. Cash. Ka-Ching! Amen.

rustyshelf
5th April 2009, 12:21 PM
tried resetting the PMU? It worked for me:

Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411)

insular
5th April 2009, 12:27 PM
if it's JUST out of warranty, give apple a call and say you were meaning to buy it but have been busy lately and it slipped your mind (or an excuse of equivalent bullshit). they've been known to allow it if its just out of the warranty period, especially if you've spent a fair bit with them.

failing that, take it to a genius and prepare to put on the waterworks, maybe they'll feel sorry for you?

it's not exactly honest but if it's a new logic board thats required, it'll save you a SHITLOAD of money.

DagrtheSnide
5th April 2009, 01:32 PM
Have a smell of the exhaust port for any burnt electronics. Doesn't sound good though.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 01:58 PM
Have a smell of the exhaust port for any burnt electronics. Doesn't sound good though.

I've already checked this - nothing I could smell that smelled like burning silicon.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 02:01 PM
tried resetting the PMU? It worked for me:

Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411)

This didn't do it unfortunatley.

adamberkey
5th April 2009, 02:02 PM
Unplug the power cable. Take out the battery. Push down the power button for 20 seconds. Plug everything back in. It should turn on. The power manager just needs to be reset. Its happened to me a couple times.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 02:02 PM
if it's JUST out of warranty, give apple a call and say you were meaning to buy it but have been busy lately and it slipped your mind (or an excuse of equivalent bullshit). they've been known to allow it if its just out of the warranty period, especially if you've spent a fair bit with them.

failing that, take it to a genius and prepare to put on the waterworks, maybe they'll feel sorry for you?

it's not exactly honest but if it's a new logic board thats required, it'll save you a SHITLOAD of money.

This is covered by my insurance, I just didn't want to make a claim because of my excessive premiums.

I've bought a HP machine to replace it for the next week or so if worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new machine and scrap this one for parts. Anyone need a 17" screen... ;)

adamberkey
5th April 2009, 02:09 PM
"Anyone need a 17" screen..."
==
Are you serious? I'm looking for an upper case ribbon cable that comes off the upper case and plugs into the logic board. I'll gladly pay you for it.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 02:21 PM
Unplug the power cable. Take out the battery. Push down the power button for 20 seconds. Plug everything back in. It should turn on. The power manager just needs to be reset. Its happened to me a couple times.

I gave this a go twice - didn't seem to help the situation :( Thanks for the suggestion though, is much appreciated.

adamberkey
5th April 2009, 03:04 PM
ok well make sure the electrical outlet you're plugging into is actually working. I say this only because it's happened to me before. We have a certain outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I guess you'd know if you had power coming in if you saw the green light come up on your power adapter plug.

Anyway, when I was having this problem on my own 17", I remember there being two reset options available. One was for 5 seconds of holding the power button down, and the other was for 20 seconds without the battery or the power cable plugged in.

Now that I have to use my computer without the upper case on, I have to jump two little solder contacts in order to start up my computer. (I have no power button right now since I can't plug in my upper case to the logic board)

JimWOz
5th April 2009, 03:12 PM
I gave this a go twice - didn't seem to help the situation :( Thanks for the suggestion though, is much appreciated.

Try leaving it for an hour or so before refitting the battery and power lead.
I've had similar problems with my MacBook, where it wouldn't boot straight after a PMU reset, but was OK if left for a while.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 04:12 PM
ok well make sure the electrical outlet you're plugging into is actually working. I say this only because it's happened to me before. We have a certain outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I guess you'd know if you had power coming in if you saw the green light come up on your power adapter plug.

Anyway, when I was having this problem on my own 17", I remember there being two reset options available. One was for 5 seconds of holding the power button down, and the other was for 20 seconds without the battery or the power cable plugged in.

Now that I have to use my computer without the upper case on, I have to jump two little solder contacts in order to start up my computer. (I have no power button right now since I can't plug in my upper case to the logic board)

The green light is on and I've confirmed that there is power available at the outlet.

I've also tried bridging the contacts across the power button, which did not resolve the situation.

DagrtheSnide
5th April 2009, 04:55 PM
I've had watches that came free with a burger last longer then this laptop. :)

Do you have any other electronic components which keep having a terminally short life ? just curious about how clean your power source is.

kungfucamel
5th April 2009, 04:57 PM
could it be one of the ones with the nvidia video card issues? i've got one of the santa rosa ones and recently had the logic board replaced because it wouldn't turn on (well you heard the mac chime and sleep light was on but that was it). it's been fixed but i might have to take it back in again because if it gets too hot, it won't restart and none of the firewire ports work.

ClockWork
5th April 2009, 06:06 PM

Do you have any other electronic components which keep having a terminally short life ? just curious about how clean your power source is.

Now that's a good point. It's a good point considering:

I came for suggestions not for sympathy - the sucker comments aren't needed ClockWork, though I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I've been though a 15" TiBook, 17" AlBook and 17" MBP - all of these are currently big paperweights - ironically, my wife's Dell which she bought in 2003 is still humming away just nicely - not sure what I do to these machines!

If you keep bricking Apple Notebooks in the same location, you may wanna invest in a sturdy Surge Protection Board - click here for info (http://www.tammex.com.au/store/belkin-8way-surge-protector-w-telav-f9g823au2mgry-p-4796.html).

Considering notebooks are small delicate electronic devices, they may be getting randomly spiked, and even a tiny spike will kill them off.

Worth investing in.

silentguardian
5th April 2009, 06:08 PM

It's behind a 10KVA UPS that powers a cabinet full of servers that I have at my house for DR. My APC monitoring equipment says that it's never been anything other than 240.2v AC @ exactly 50hz. I've had grid synchronization issues in the past but the UPS has always protected against this.

Of course, when I'm out this is a different story - but it's only ever been my mac laptops that have had an issue, all my other hardware (a few IBM eservers, 2xSun Fire x4200s and a IBM SAN) hasn't skipped a beat.

ClockWork
5th April 2009, 07:05 PM
If the spike is very small, it may not effect larger more robust machines.

~Coxy
6th April 2009, 11:37 AM
You could always ring up and complain about it. A laptop could be reasonably expected to last longer than a year before catastrophically failing like that. Try to at least get free repair.

DebB
6th April 2009, 03:13 PM
My MBP of similar vintage died recently in a similar way..... I took it to nextbyte and suggested that it could be the faulty nvidia graphics card...... turns out it was a faulty logic board and was covered under an extended warranty as this is a known issue. Check on the Apple support website and see if your machine is affected. My repair cost me nothing. Try that with a PC laptop..... at least Apple eventually acknowledge some problems and address them as best they can.

I don't think "should've bought applecare" is a fair comment. For these machines it makes them far too expensive for what they are, and they should be expected to perform for a reasonable length of time anyway. I would say get apple care if you plan to treat your machine badly or if it will get unusual wear and tear. You should not have to buy it to get a good laptop - if that were the case it would have to be standard, and free.

Good luck with your machine,
Deb

Spectacular291
6th April 2009, 04:39 PM
Now that's a good point. It's a good point considering:

If you keep bricking Apple Notebooks in the same location, you may wanna invest in a sturdy Surge Protection Board - click here for info (http://www.tammex.com.au/store/belkin-8way-surge-protector-w-telav-f9g823au2mgry-p-4796.html).

Considering notebooks are small delicate electronic devices, they may be getting randomly spiked, and even a tiny spike will kill them off.

Worth investing in.

i think if he's Dell that his had since 2003 hasnt had power problems in turning on maybe its not the surge board thats not that problem clockwork. just my 2 cents worth.

ClockWork
7th April 2009, 10:57 AM
i think if he's Dell that his had since 2003 hasnt had power problems in turning on maybe its not the surge board thats not that problem clockwork. just my 2 cents worth.

I've seen spiking problems where the desktop machines work 100% fine, but the modem or the external drive or the scanner die every time they're plugged in. Not a lovely thing to witness. The delicate electronic devices die.

macaholic
7th April 2009, 11:35 AM
My 17" MBP had the same problem. Logic board (graphics card) replaced under warranty.

silentguardian
7th April 2009, 12:46 PM
I've seen spiking problems where the desktop machines work 100% fine, but the modem or the external drive or the scanner die every time they're plugged in. Not a lovely thing to witness. The delicate electronic devices die.

As I mentioned before, this laptop is sitting on a UPS protected circuit that houses things a lot more delicate than the switchmode powersupply in the Apple power brick.

I have monitoring equipment designed to filter these power fluctuations out - it's a perfect 50hz sinusoidal output and has been since the circuit was installed (at least that's what my APC monitoring software tells me!)

silentguardian
7th April 2009, 12:46 PM
My 17" MBP had the same problem. Logic board (graphics card) replaced under warranty.

A few people seem to have mentioned that this is the case - I might see if I can plead my case to Apple

prettyinpink17
20th April 2009, 03:40 PM
I just had the same problem with my mac book pro. Its a late '07 so we may have the exact same type

anyway. i made an appointment with the genius bar at the apple store. i brought it in, they looked at it for about 15 mins and told me the part costs $1200! the part that broke basically allows video to run or something. but it as a defect in my generation of computers so it was free!

i would suggest taking it in. Theres no charge for a genius bar visit!

good luck

MacnStop
7th November 2009, 06:52 AM
My '06 Mac Book Pro , the machine would be in sleep mode, then the hard drive would just start spinning wildly. The machine would then get super hot and I would do some kind of force quit to get it to stop. it happend a few times. Now The machine is dead.

All of the Apple suggestion and on this blog nothing..... "It says call Apple".

Is it a virus? Is it a hardware 'glitch'? Why does the machine go into rapid cycling? Maybe Apple should fix it? ;) :o :)

Diesel*